superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:02:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: superman and FTL  (Read 8495 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 03:58:42 AM »

If Supes is going faster than light, how is it that the light from other suns could possibly affect him?

Oh you with your logic and reason..

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
jimmy-neutron
Supermen of America

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 09:27:49 PM »

>It was also pointed out that Superman gains new powers under a blue sun.
I was wondering whether, if Superman's powers increase as the light gets bluer?

>FTL has been a problem in may areas of science fiction.
I think special relativity only says that you can't travel at the speed of light, not sure if it says anything else. The wilkpedia reference mentions tachyons as particles that always travel faster than light, also there are problems with quantum theory and general relativity. Given that people aren't as clever as they think are (for example, at the end of the 19th century scientists thought that physics was more or less explained, and it was a matter of dotting the i's and crossing the t's and then someone decided to cross the h), perhaps FTL is feasible?

>If Supes is going 'faster' than light, how is it that the light from other suns could >possibly affect him?
A question I never thought of.

What does it really show? That the initial question is more related to continuity, Superman has been able to go FTL previously, so he can now (rather than accept it as a convenient sci-fi device)?

Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 09:45:41 PM »

Alternately, when Superman has been shown going faster than the speed of light, the earth has been known to turn backwards, and tectonic plates are put back together again. Oh, and the coolest thing is how toothpaste goes back into tubes.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 04:45:20 AM »

I think that only happens if he flies counter-clockwise around the planet on Earth-M.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L