superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonBatman!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE AUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:46:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The worst superhero comics ever published  (Read 23983 times)
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« on: September 05, 2007, 09:51:53 PM »

Archie's Mighty Crusaders.

Thanks for NOTHING, Jerry-freakin-Siegel!

http://www.mightycrusaders.net/cheeks.html

Here's the highlight, for me:

["Working for elderly Ezra and Abagail March, young Tommy learns that they are wizards and, late one night, tries on a fly-shaped ring he finds in the attic. It glows and opens a door to another dimension, from which steps Turan of the Fly People.

He (Turan) explains that 'millions of years before, Fly People ruled the earth'; but they 'waged war with magic, reducing most of the population to common houseflies'." (... which certainly had everybody buzzing for weeks afterwards...)

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 04:48:07 AM »

"He went from sacking Quarterbacks to tackling crime..."

nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 05:36:28 PM »

Well, this could be a long list.  But here's a definite cotender: Fatman, the Human Flying Saucer.

Honestly, why would anyone want to read about a guy who has to turn into a vehicle to have an action scene?  And why bother changing to a costume before turning into a UFO?  Extra credit, though, for giving a fat guy his own book.

This looks like a job for...
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 05:50:34 PM »

Here's another loser.

JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 06:43:16 PM »

Well, this could be a long list.  But here's a definite cotender: Fatman, the Human Flying Saucer.

Honestly, why would anyone want to read about a guy who has to turn into a vehicle to have an action scene?  And why bother changing to a costume before turning into a UFO?  Extra credit, though, for giving a fat guy his own book.

Is that...Ariel Sharon???

I hope and pray that "New Pin-Up Poster" isn't of Fatman.

Here's another loser.

Buying Marvel Premiere is like playing Russian Roulette with your sanity. Will THIS be the issue that will destroy my mind?

Ahhh, MARVEL PREMIERE. The comics equivalent of those Harry Potter beans where one is butter toffee-flavored, and the next is earwax-flavored. On the one hand, you had Steve Gerber giving us Guardians of the Galaxy, or the creation of Iron Fist, or Woodgod (who, for my money, is the most entertaining character that mag ever produced, even more so than the breakout character Iron Fist). Or, you have Mantlo's Legion of Monsters, or...3-D Man.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 06:46:23 PM by JulianPerez » Logged

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 08:29:00 PM »

"He went from sacking Quarterbacks to tackling crime..."
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.comics.marvel.universe/msg/e26cfb1d71e97bbb

Quote from: Fabian Nicieza
Okay, okay, I'm caught.
But on a technicality, although i wrote the special and the first four issues, I didn't CREATE the thing -- i just came in on a rush assignment to help them out when they were having trouble getting storylines approved by NFL.  And i'll admit -- i did it because i expected to get some free tix to football games (especially the Superbowl). And all i got out of it were 2 tix to a Jets/Colts game (back when the Jets REALLY sucked). They lost to the Colts at HOME by like 30 points. Just horrible.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 09:06:13 PM »

Yeah, 3-D Man looks like a half-boiled Kermit.  The weird thing is, I think he's back in continuity now and in a new Marvel team book (?).

No, scratch that.  The really weird thing is that I actually saw this comic on the stands back in the day...and bought it! Shocked

TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 10:43:06 PM »

3-d man certainly has an awesome cover and a great Canadian connection: Jim Craig did the original int. art, as i recall.

Just because they never caught on doesn't mean they are bad ideas --so Fatman transforms into flying saucer (btw, how cool is that?).  What about the millions of other transforming heroes --Marvels's 80s Capt. Marvel has to transform into light to fly, for instance, and then there were those transforming robots --what were they called?

3-d man has tons of potential and fits into that 70s "Defenders"-type hero mold of also-rans (Nova, Omega) that Julian was mentioning in another thread.

Worst superhero comics ever published?  Secret Wars II?  The crappy 3rd string JLA with Vixen and Vibe?  Most of Image?  Really, a fish in the barrel question.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L