superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE AUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:14:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The worst superhero comics ever published  (Read 23990 times)
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2007, 11:55:37 PM »

So is that kid just applauding, or should I take he's activating his transformation into a steroid freak with a rabbit's head?

Because if that's the only way to get super, it ain't worth it.

It's a blatant ripoff of Captain Marvel. The only differences are:

1) Clapping instead of Shazam!

2) The blondeness of the hair

3) having Hoppy's head. Also, the difficulty of drawing rabbit hands must have also convinced the artist to go with gloves instead.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2007, 02:50:57 AM »

As a sidenote, I just noticed Julian's karma rating is a staggering negative 39!! 

This feature is turning out to be a lot more entertaining than I expected.  Cheesy

I also just notice that my Karma points are going downhill fast as well, LOL!

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2007, 02:54:27 AM »

Grin

I'm not falling like a stone like Julian but, yeah, my karma is nosediving.

Can we please turn it off?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh? It doesn't mean anything.
Ruby Spears Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2007, 12:42:02 AM »

I would definately put most of the Image line up in the "worst" category (except maybe Savage Dragon).  Hmmmm.........  how about that "Comics Greatest World" line up from Dark Horse? Or that company founded by Jim Shooter after he left Valient? Or how about Valient itself? Just go back and look at a comic catalog from 1993 and it shouldn't take you long to find something!

Anything with the words "Scarlet Spider" in it. Grin
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2007, 07:55:09 AM »

Now there's been a lot of loose talk in this thread dissin' the 80s Captain Marvel, and all I have to say about that is that I still have the Spider-Man annual in which she first appeared and she is fantastic and I want to marry her.

As for really bad superhero comics, you can always count on Rich Buckler. I've never actually been able to locate a copy of this, so I can only dream about how bad it is, but chances are it is a serious contender: http://www.toonopedia.com/reagan.htm

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2007, 11:59:52 AM »

anything by Rob Liefeld or anything produced by his studio during while at image.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2007, 09:53:32 AM »

Julian's response to my last post actually made me laugh out loud, even though (or maybe because?) it was full of more non sequitors, ad hominens and hobby horses than usual.  Which brings up an interesting point: Julian posts quite a few things here that I don't even bother to read but the things I do read make me pause for thought and actually strive to compose coherent arguments in response.  Which is why it was baffling to me how his karma got so low --I always tried to use the karma feature to reward thoughtful posts like Julian's and karmic-ally "neg" boring or otherwise lazy posts (like many of my own --too bad I couldn't take away my own karma!).

More on topic: the two organizations Julian mentions had/have more U.S. connections than Canadian.

Even more on topic: Dell's Dracula was pretty bad.  A major title by a major (the biggest) publisher.

And re: Fatman, some good things about Fatman  --the alien who gave Fatman his powers (shades of GL) was a shapeshifter like the Transformers, making his change all the more logical.  As well, it is cartoon shorthand, used by many of the greatest superhero cartoonists of all time (if CC Beck won't do, how about Fradon's Metamorpho or the Metal Men?  I'm sure we can find examples in Wayne Boring and Dick Sprang as well) to draw a face on anthropomorphized or transformed characters.  Why slag its use in Fatman?  Fatman is like if Uncle Dudley got a green suit and real powers!  He is powered by chocolate milk!  He is an rich fat guy, not a young muscular WASP!  In short, Fatman is awesome and not at all like Jar Jar Binks!

Fatman answers the question, what if an awesome comic book character like Tubby got superpowers?  Great team-up idea: Uncle Marvel, Bouncing Boy, Little Lotta, and Fatman!  (these are some of my favourite characters, especially now that I am old and fat).  The Blimp Brigade flies again!

« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 10:02:01 AM by TELLE » Logged

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2007, 01:05:33 AM »

Can we start up the Karma thingie again, except maybe call it Dogma points or something?

and it would be unclear whether negative dogma is good or bad?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L