superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 09:37:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: John Byrne Sendoff tale?  (Read 7277 times)
Ruby Spears Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 09:58:35 PM »

I don't think it's fair to get onto post-crisis fans for liking what they grew up with. For many of them, this is the only version they ever knew and DC pulled the rug out on them the same way they did to older fans 20 years ago. I think we should be able to empathize with them in that regard at least, even if we completely disagree with their version.

In truth, I think the one thing pre- and post- fans can agree on is that continuity and history are too important to keep pulling a "do over" every time the character becomes a little hard to write for. DC needs to have more respect for their characters then that. I understand Superman is hard to give credible challenges too but it weakens the believability factor every time they start him over. The rule of fiction is that you can get people to suspend disbelief about one thing and that's it; right now they're pushing it.

Yes, a nice post-crisis sendoff story could have Lois and Clark having a baby and leaving it up in the air whether or not the child will have powers. But what I would REALLY like to see is something done with the Birthright Superman. He's kind of in "continuity limbo" right now and I really think he got treated pretty shabby after his debut what with the post- fans dumping on him and nobody was quite sure what he was supposed to be and then they tried to force feed him into continuity it just seems like he was never given the fair shake he deserved, especially given how good the story was.       
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2007, 12:13:11 AM »

Nothing personal, I just can't see a send off to a character in a universe that underwent a crisis, a zero hour, hypertime, a reboot within a reboot, and another crisis all in 20 years.
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2007, 02:51:10 AM »

I grew up with post-Crisis stuff, but quite frankly my opinion of it all changed when I read Alan Moore's sendoff story, and Maggin's novels.

A Byrne sendoff would not be successful at all. So few people read Byrne's Superman stories. The majority of post-Crisis Superman readers came in during the Death/Reign storylines, whereas Byrne only worked on the character for two years during the eighties, and when he left people immediately started to change his Luthor, etc. Alan Moore had 48 years of lore and fan experience to draw on. A Byrne sendoff writer would have, at best, 8.

Personally, I view the last issue of "Funeral for a Friend" as the sendoff for that Superman, when he was shown flying into heaven?, Pa Kent seemed to die, and everyone was in mourning. After that issue, Byrne's Superman ceased to exist. He returned to join Grant Morrison's JLA, and Silver Age elements continued to be re-added to the character until the present day.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

carmine
Superman Family

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2007, 02:08:25 PM »

alan moore's send off for supes would almost work for byrnes also. I think Byrnes supes would be happy if he just became a normal human and married lois (which he did) maybe not the moustache but still.

Actually didnt really like Moore's last issue. Way too dark , everyone dies?? thats a bit much for pre-crisis supes. And that he would Gold K himself just because he killed Mr.Myx who was going to kill him anyways.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L