superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GETTING AFFAIRS IN ORDER!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:28:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: John Byrne Sendoff tale?  (Read 7409 times)
RonFez.net
Superman's Pal

« on: September 07, 2007, 10:03:30 PM »

Since there was a sendoff tale for superman before the man of steel reboot and the crisis, shouldn't there be one for the John Byrne reboot version.  We know now that post IC even if superman is not rebooted, that its a new version of the character.  I'd like to see an elseworlds or imaginary tale made just for this. Who else would?  Maybe byrne could write it himself?
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 12:06:33 AM »

I don't think it deserves one.

Actually, the sendoff was during Infinite Crisis, when he realized that he was actually Superman of Earth 1 all along...somehow.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Superman Forever
Superman Family

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 12:36:24 AM »

I think Superman 200 by writer Steven T. Seagle and artist Scott McDaniel is considered the sendoff tale of the Byrne´s Superman. Not officialy, but it ws received this way by fans and by the Superman Homepage negative review. For the people who love the Iron Age stuff, a Byrne or Jurgens "Last Story" would be an instant classic. But since it´s not the case in this site... anyway, I don´t thint it deserves it, either, but there´s an entire generation of readers who come to apreciate Superman because of Byrne´s work and dont´t like classic or reconstructive stuff, so it would be fair to them. Speaking for myself, I would buy just out of curiosity to see how that sotry would end. I mean, would they destroy the mythos even more or try to do a redeeming story?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 01:50:28 AM by Superman Forever » Logged
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 01:45:23 AM »

I think Superman 200, like the Loeb/McGuiness temporary retcon from Superman 166, is really more about trying to alter the Byrne-era Superman into his own replacement.  A real send-off for the Iron-Age Superman, like Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow was for the Bronze/Silver age, would work within the Iron-Age continuity and do its best to treat that continuity with respect while simultaneously working within its framework.

You'd have the spartan Byrne Krypton, Cat Grant, Matrix, the chubby "Kingpin" Lex, the elderly Ma and Pa, etc.  You could even toss in some post-Byrne continuity with the Cleric, The Eradicator and Steel.  I agree, this could be a fun story if handled right.

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Superman Forever
Superman Family

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 02:02:18 AM »

I just wonder how would they justify a "Last Story" for that version of Superman. He have already killed, redeemed himself, exiled in space, died, ressurrected... was there anything else to do with him?
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 02:54:58 AM »

You'd have the spartan Byrne Krypton, Cat Grant, Matrix, the chubby "Kingpin" Lex, the elderly Ma and Pa, etc.  You could even toss in some post-Byrne continuity with the Cleric, The Eradicator and Steel.  I agree, this could be a fun story if handled right.

As long as the Pre-crisis version is still out there somewhere and isn't written out of history, as long as the Byrne or 90's version are not trolled out as the only true versions, I think it could work.

According to the current comics, this appears to be true.

That's a good thing, IMHO.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 04:00:20 AM »

I just can't quite see the same kind of tribute as DC and other comics started following the blockbuster universe changing storyline model so often after the first one (COIE)...
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 04:17:28 AM »

Some things you send off, and other things you just let fade away.

It'd be fun to have Alan Moore pen a John Byrne artistic sendoff, though.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L