superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes Newton<Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:18:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who would you like to see do their own take on Superman?  (Read 27882 times)
Ruby Spears Superman
Superman Family

« on: September 10, 2007, 12:24:21 AM »

Since All Star is about letting certin creators do their own versions of Superman, I would love to see Neil Gaiman try his hand at it and have Brian Hitch draw it!  Grin
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 07:00:47 AM »

I was going to say that Darwyn Cooke would be nice when I remembered that I'm actually finding Superman Confidential a bit dull. As you say, Neil Gaiman would be interesting (perhaps he could adapt the run he started on Miracleman way back). I'm enjoying Brian K Vaughan's Ex Machina too; he might have a fresh perspective on Superman.

Of course, the person I'd really like to see let loose on Superman is me, because I'd be able to indulge in all the superstuff I like and no-one could stop me.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Ruby Spears Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 01:43:37 AM »

I think we all would love a shot at the big guy ourselves, I personally have an origin sequence in mind that I really wish I could get published. Maybe I should have asked what YOU would do if you could re-invent Superman.
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 08:12:36 AM »

They'd probably never let me do it, not least because it would involve Superman breaking the law in order to save a section of the Amazon forest from getting turned into pasture, a Superman clone losing his powers and turning into a depressive, overweight slob, and Streaky the Supercat as the hallucination of a delusional alcoholic.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 12:08:12 PM »

If you asked this question two years ago, my answer would be one name: Kurt Busiek.

Other than him, there are a lot of people I'd love to see take on Superman in an All-Star context.

Alan Brennert, for one. Anyone that's ever read a Brennert story knows exactly what I mean.

It would be interesting to see what Paul Levitz would do. It was a sad day when that guy was bumped upstairs. Paul Levitz's Legion had these huge, old-school giant stories and subplots, combined with excellent characterization. The guy's a big fan of classic Superman.

There have only been a couple of times where Steve Englehart did Superman (in his JLA and DC COMICS PRESENTS...three times if you count Hyperion from Squadron Supreme) but that was enough to get me curious about what he'd do. One thing I always loved about Englehart's Superman was he had such a definite, strong view of the character: he was conservative (with a little "c"), a very proud person with absolute and supreme self-confidence (perhaps even overconfidence), and distinctly and explicitly alien and aloof from Earth culture.

How about Jim Starlin? He'd bring a big, space opera sense to the proceedings.

As for artists...

Amanda Conner had such a wholesome style entirely appropriate for adventure comics. Her Superman would be dynamite!

How about Richard Levins (post-Byrne SHE-HULK, FEMME FORCE and AWC)? One thing's for sure, the guy'd draw a dynamite Supergirl and Lois Lane!

I don't think the guy even works in comics, but still...wouldn't it be great to see a Michael Whelan Superman cover?

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 06:30:46 PM »

humm... who knows. But I would like to see Art Adams draw another Superman story, even if it is only one issue. Last one was the Action Annual.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Continental Op
Superman Family

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 03:36:51 AM »

Amanda Conner had such a wholesome style entirely appropriate for adventure comics. Her Superman would be dynamite!

On the other hand, she did draw THE PRO...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pro_%28comics%29
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 03:39:40 AM by Continental Op » Logged
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 05:17:32 AM »

That is a pretty funny article --a corner of modern comics I've never even heard of.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L