superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:45:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who would you like to see do their own take on Superman?  (Read 27886 times)
Superman Forever
Superman Family

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2007, 04:24:06 AM »

Gaiman has shown an interest in the Man of Steel and could probably do a good job (but the Sandman series was really his adaptation of the Weisinger era Superman, so there's nowhere for him to go that he hasn't all ready gone).

Can you please elaborate on that? I´ve never read something along these lines from either Sandman fans or Superman fans, and I´m very curious. I enjoyed Gaiman team-up Superman/Hal Jorndan special...
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2007, 11:05:58 PM »

I'd love to see Tom Mankiewicz revisit Superman.  Since he's not from the comic book genre exactly, team him with an artist/writer like Alan Davis.

Warren Ellis teamed up with Garcia-Lopez would be another cool option.

Throw Joey Fatone, Shaq, Jon Bongiovi, Jerry Seinfeld, and Kal-El Cage's father in a room together and see if they can come up with a credible story.  It'd be just like the '90s, but All-Star.  Smiley

Ruby Spears Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2007, 12:27:29 AM »

Kal-El Cage, I feel sorry for that poor kid. For the rest of his life, he's going to have to explain what his name means to non-Superman experts.  Sad
jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2007, 02:00:28 AM »

I am always pleased that even among non-fans, people know details

His secret identity, where he works, his boss's name, his co-worker's names

His Kryptonian name , in non-Superman-fan land, is less known than his Father's name

Thank Brando and Seinfeld for that

Cage should have gone with just plain old  Kal

Though who am I to say, I have a friend whose first and middle name is Bruce Wayne

and has NOTHING to do with Batman, supposedly they "noticed" later

Hew was born in '58 or so, so I tend to believe it
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 02:11:09 AM by jamespup » Logged
India Ink
Superman Squad

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2007, 04:59:49 PM »

Gaiman has shown an interest in the Man of Steel and could probably do a good job (but the Sandman series was really his adaptation of the Weisinger era Superman, so there's nowhere for him to go that he hasn't all ready gone).

Can you please elaborate on that? I´ve never read something along these lines from either Sandman fans or Superman fans, and I´m very curious. I enjoyed Gaiman team-up Superman/Hal Jorndan special...

I first started seeing the similarities during "A Game of You" where some alternative version of Bizarro Superman is mentioned and shown.

Once you start looking for them, the parallels seem to be everywhere.

First there's the Sandman himself--Morpheus--who is super-powerful a la the god-like (sometimes) Superman. He has girl friends (and problems with a few who pester him and go through transformations--and at least one from his past who is a great regret). And he has that kind of noble, weight-of-the-world aspect that Superman had.

There's a vague feeling of a world that Morpheus came from that is now gone.

He has a "Fortress of Solitude"--with many souvenirs of his past adventures inside it--including a bottle city. The Dreaming itself is a kind of Phantom Zone.

Superman had his cousin Supergirl to turn to and talk to, Dream has his sister Death to turn to and talk to.

There's a legion of super-pets in Superman and super-familiars in Sandman.

India Ink
carmine
Superman Family

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2007, 11:42:46 PM »

Jerry Seinfeld should write Superman. Those commercials were pretty funny and it seemed very "superman" even though he was kinda goofy in them (hey its a comedy, of course he's going to be goofy)

Maybe Jerry moves next door to Clark Kent. (get the artist from JLI. Kevin Maguire???)

Mark Millar wouldn't do ALL STAR becuase he said that he wants to "fix" the "real" superman. Plus he wants to write all 3 books every month.
jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2007, 02:13:07 AM »

Jerry Seinfeld AND Larry David should write it !

like McCartney and Lennon, much better together than apart
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2007, 05:04:51 AM »

Though he's not my first, second or third choice (that would be Busiek, Levitz, and Alan Brennert), nonetheless, it would be wonderful to see Gaiman do Superman.

He can work in the shared universe pretty well. That bit in Sandman was just about the only time the Martian Manhunter had ever been cool. And his current work in ETERNALS has been interesting reading, the best non-Kirby Eternals since Roy Thomas.

Anyway, I owe him for that really great date movie, STARDUST.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L