superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:45:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Testing out a new toy  (Read 5574 times)
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« on: September 13, 2007, 01:29:18 PM »

I finally broke down and bought a Wacom Graphire tablet a week or so ago ($75 at Best Buy, how could I resist?) and it's really cool.  I've got a steep learning curve ahead of me figuring out how to contol the thickness of brush strokes based on pressure at the pen-tip, but it's awesome being able to erase "inks" so easily, or take a picture 5 or 6 steps back when I get in over my head.  Heaven knows how many projects of the past ended up in the trash because of a goof I made just inches from the finish line.

Anyway, it's still easier at this point for me to do "caricatures" as opposed to "realistic" stuff, so with that in mind here's my first finished doodle.  Be kind:

This looks like a job for...
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 06:40:32 PM »

Pretty cool IMHO!

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 02:12:27 AM »

Nice, DM!

Got one a few months back myself.  What's your screen size?  The real trick is mastering Photoshop with the brushes, layers etc ... no easy task for someone who's used to real brushes...
Criadoman
Superman Family

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 03:43:37 AM »

I'm telling you guys, you really should get Manga Studio 3.0.  It's the program I use to do K-Metal in and I absolutely love this program.  I use a cheapy Genius tablet, but I just can't say enough about how much I love Manga Studio.

"If I print "She was stark naked"--& then proceeded to describe her person in detail, what critic would not howl?--but the artist does this & all ages gather around & look & talk & point." - Mark Twain
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 12:52:36 PM »

Klar, I'm using the Graphire 4, with a 4x6 screen.  One of the coolest things about it is the buttons on the pen are programmable, so I've assigned the "undo" command to the larger one.  Things go a lot faster that way.  Also it's cool how you can turn the pen around and use the "eraser" on the other end.

I'll have to check out that Manga Studio software.  I'm still going through the Painter tutorials that came with the tablet, so it may be a while.

This looks like a job for...
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 10:18:01 PM »

I like big shorts on superheroes!

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L