superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:29:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zoo Crew addition  (Read 16921 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 08:41:56 PM »

Like I said, I wasn't sure if this entry was appropriate or not (there's a "Mary Marvel of Earth-S" entry that doesn't refer to any of the listed canonical sources either); the Zoo Crew characters didn't show up in any of the Superman-related titles proper pre-Crisis, so I'll understand if anyone wants to take the entry down...

Yes the Mary Marvel article needs some serious work but unlike the Zoo Crew, she actually appeared in canonical comics:

http://comics.org/coverview.lasso?id=35369&zoom=4

DC Comics Presents #33
DC Comics Presents #34
DC Comics Presents Annual #3

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 08:09:45 PM »

Well, you're the boss...

Although I consider myself to be the "founder" of Supermanica, I do not consider myself to be the "boss" - this is why I've done the polls and such, hoping that others would eventually step up to the plate.  If people would like to alter the way that things are currently set up and nominate me for dictator, I will gladly comply - just be prepared to have the non-DC Maggin short stories, the current post-IC Superman titles, and All-Star added to the canonical sources.  These are all things that I have proposed in the past and that have been voted down.

But I prefer Supermanica the way it is - with policy set by committee - and I think the site is better for it.

The intent in my post was not to make some sort of decree about the Zoo Crew article, but merely to voice my opinion in support of it.

But i still disagree, I could write very well done entries for Kanjor Ro or Starro and Superman met them both and both are referred to in stories but they aren't canonical.

The difference here is that Kanjor Ro and Starro are characters that Superman merely encountered as part of his adventures with the JLA.  I agree that leaving the JLA and LSH details out of Supermanica makes sense.  But in our JLA article, we do mention that Superman is a charter member of the team - citing a Brave and the Bold issue - because this is (apparently) not mentioned in any of the canonical sources.  Similarly,  Superman had a key role in both the creation and the naming of the Zoo Crew, a high-profile and very well known team of heroes

Again - just my two cents.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 08:11:47 PM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 09:40:41 PM »

As far as the JLA... I can see not all of his JLA adventures referenced (or they can be)... but why not?  The JLA crossed over into mainstream Superman titles frequently, as well as JLA foes such as Amazo.

Is DCCP canon?  Who decides what is canon and what isn't?  Why would the Zoo Crew not be canon, since Superman pretty much helped form the team?  Just because they are on an Earth populated by intelligent animals?

Why nitpick?  It's all fiction and all for our enjoyment.  Even if these events "really" happen on parallel Earths and all, who decides on our Earth that those events aren't real?

I like going through Supermanica... add to it to enrich it... if Superman or family appeared somewhere, put it in there for completeness sake, I say!  I for one, from a research and enjoyment POV, like the oddball stuff.  It reminds me of a better time in comics.

I say lighten up!

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 12:17:16 AM »

I am all for adding every Superman comic book appearance ever... pre-crisis. But, We have rules for a reason.

I do not consider myself to be the "boss" - this is why I've done the polls and such

Well, if crap like Black Lighting is canon, why the heck not Zoo Crew?!?

I'll go make up a poll.

Maybe we should add another poll to take Black Lighting out?

MatterEaterLad can start that one.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 01:28:12 AM »

I actually voted to include it, why not? I think Muhammed Ali should be grandfathered in too.

Just as a final crabby aside  Grin I will say that there are soooooooo many cananical comics not covered that I would rather get a handle on filling those in, but then again, there really are only a handful of people who stick with Supermanica after a few entries.

The thing about Black Lightning is that he DID have canonical appearances, I actually wrote the original entry and spelled out the non-canonical sources in full. A lot of the series were his own stories and no one ever added them anyway. So a reader now has to figure out what the BL acronym means.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 01:32:31 AM by MatterEaterLad » Logged
davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 02:18:27 AM »

So who decides what is and isn't "canon"?  I'm sorry, but it sounds like a bunch of editors at DC!

Cry
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2007, 03:04:54 AM »

I'll go make up a poll.

Thanks Beppo.  And for those who care to vote, the poll is here.

So who decides what is and isn't "canon"?  I'm sorry, but it sounds like a bunch of editors at DC!

I took the list of titles that The Great Superman Book worked from, extended it to 1986, and added a couple of other titles that I thought should have been included.

Since then, there have been a series of polls here which have added some more titles, and not added others.

The entire list of canon titles is posted at Supermanica.  And to clear up any possible mis-understanding, we're not saying that anything not listed there never happened, just that it's outside our purview.  At the time, we also wanted to keep the role and purpose of Supermanica clearly defined so that we didn't have random people coming in and focusing on Iron Age continuity or other inappropriate material.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 03:21:54 AM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
DrJohnnyDiablo
Supermen of America

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2007, 05:25:05 AM »

I voted against the Zoo Crew addition. The Muhammad Ali entry on the other hand... Smiley

"New master didn't realize it am crime against Bizarro code to make anything perfect on Bizarro World! He is in trouble if his robots change shape of this planet into globe!"-Bizarro-Krypto(March, 1962)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L