superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:01:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A very special message from Superboy-Prime  (Read 12616 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 09:32:57 PM »

This shouldn't get under my skin, but being called a "dunderhead" (via a once-favorite character, no less!) has rubbed some raw nerves.

Indeed, we have some odd filters around here, considering how puritanical they can be while still letting a word like that get through.

I can't always predict every objectionable term that might be used, so I rely on forum posts like this one to alert me to them.

It's been a long time since I've had the opportunity to add any words to the filter, so I'm grateful to Julian for his recent use of "baloney," one that I obviously missed.  I didn't even realize that "dunderhead" was another one, Nightwing, but I'm willing to go ahead and come up with something for that one too.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 09:38:53 PM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 02:46:33 AM »

Superboy-Prime COIE, who's not vulnerable to red sun radiation:
http://superman.nu/tales2/comet/?page=21
isn't the same person as Superboy-Prime IC, who was kicked in the dunderhead by red sun radiation on multiple baloneys.

Obviously, when Superboy-Prime COIE went to a paradise dimension, he went to the land of Kurt Busiek's Secret Identity, and this Superboy-Prime IC guy is an impostor.  Of course, we didn't talk about wishing for an impostor Superboy-Prime.  Sheesh.  Give us -some- credit, Julian-Primez.

Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 04:01:44 AM »

For a minute, I thought Superbo..MAN Prime was going to say: "Heh" or "Stupid earth" or more of Geoff Johns' recent Prime dialogue. 

I read DC One Million, written by Grant Morrison Cheesy, just before Infinite Crisis came out. Initially, I thought DC One Million Superman Prime was the adult Superboy Prime arriving in Infinite Crisis. DC One Million is set in the future afterall. It's too bad this isn't the case. Instead, we get Superboy Prime: 1) whining a lot (even beyond "But I was going into Toshi Station to pick up some power converters" whining) 2) punching heads off heroes 3) in general, killing 4) commiting a form of patricide 5) self-mutilation 6) toadying. That's the kind of characterization we really need in this day and age. 

Maybe during Final Crisis, Grant Morrison will rectify Johns' Superboy Prime mess. 

In regards to Geoff Johns, I really enjoy most of his recent work. Booster Gold is nearly flawless. Sinestro Corps War is fantastic, fully dealing in Green Lantern mythology. Justice Society of America #9 had pancakes. Infinite Crisis was just awful compared with his earlier and now later books. It's too bad.   
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 04:12:37 AM by Michel Weisnor » Logged

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 01:14:53 PM »

Great Rao writes:

I didn't even realize that "dunderhead" was another one, Nightwing, but I'm willing to go ahead and come up with something for that one too.

Hopefully you can filter out that specific iteration, and not all occurences of "dick" in general.  I mean I can see the appeal of filtering out the name of that place where the Devil lives, but when a harmless salutation appears here as "Hecko" (as in "'Hecko Larry' is my favorite MacLean Stephenson vehicle"), something is wrong.

I'd hate to see the Batman forum filled with discussions of "Putz Grayson" or "Wee-Wee Sprang".

This looks like a job for...
jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 01:14:09 AM »

Wow, it really does that?

To quote the Three Stooges:

Hello

Hello

Hello

HELLO !

hmmm...guess not,,,bloody hell
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2007, 02:01:57 AM »

I wonder how Dick Giordano will read?
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 02:33:25 AM »

At least Hell and Ass still works, as they should. Hell is not a real cuss word anyway and ASS (All Star Superman) is just the best comic to be release in a long time.  Yet one of the nastier cuss words still gets through... I suggest runt as a sub.. cough...

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L