superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:13:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Biggest Elliot S! Maggin Story never told...  (Read 4262 times)
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« on: September 20, 2007, 07:10:31 PM »

...is that he's running for Congress! Again! And that he announced this FOUR MONTHS AGO!!!

Maybe it's because of the url-swiping that distracted us all, but I don't remember anyone ever bringing this up. If they did, I couldn't find it in any search. Maggin is running against Elton Gallegly, the incumbent congressman in the CA-24 district who tried to retire, but couldn't under California law because he had already filed the necessary paperwork in order to run.

What are his chances? Well, Maggin's website skills have never been that great, and he seems to be running his own campaign website (somebody help him.) He also hasn't announced this to us, which could have helped his fundraising four months ago. Also, Republicans in the area tend to win by an average of 5 percentage points.

Still, I'm tempted to throw in my political science skills to help him. (After all, Miracle Monday was a really great book.)

Campaign website here:

http://www.maggin.com

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 12:11:33 AM »

Much as I hate to say it, I don't think Maggin makes it out of the primaries.  The other Dems will flag this in the primary, if push comes to shove. 

http://www.fec.gov/law/litigation_CCA_FEC_K.shtml
FEC v. MAGGIN FOR CONGRESS COMMITTEE

On June 29, 1993, the U.S. District Court for the District of New Hampshire held defendants Elliott S. Maggin for Congress Committee and its treasurer, Andi T. Johnson, in civil contempt of court for failing to pay civil penalties and the FEC's costs and attorneys fees. (Civil Action No. C86-40-L.) The assessments had remained unpaid since they were imposed under an August 1986 court order.

The court further ordered Ms. Johnson to provide the FEC with financial records on her resources and liabilities within 20 days and to appear before the court 30 days after submitting the records. A $10,000 civil penalty and interest on the earlier penalties would be assessed against her if she failed to provide the information.

Under the 1986 judgment, the court found that the defendants had violated the Federal Election Campaign Act by failing to file a 1984 quarterly report. The court ordered each defendant to pay a $5,000 civil penalty and permanently enjoined them from further violations of the Act. Defendants were also ordered to pay $2,569 to cover the FEC's costs and attorneys fees.

Still, I'd love to see him make a go at it, especially if he did something like political comics to build up some interest...

Whoa...  I didn't know his day job was medical training.  I'd have assumed it'd be more fictitious

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 12:16:33 AM »

do a search there are a few threads about this already.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 05:32:44 AM »

Well, not to look like I'm taking bragging rights, but I was talking about this back in early July. And here's the pudding:

http://superman.nu/smf/index.php?topic=3686.0

Though I can understand this post being overlooked in a search...what, with its ultra-unclear subject title, "Elliot S! Maggin runs for congress!" Grin

When I read the title of this thread, my heart jumped because I thought it meant Maggin was going to write Green Arrow and Black Canary again. As wonderful as his Superman stuff was, Green Arrow always seemed more ideal for him: it let him use his sense of humor and social awareness far more.

I've been saying this for a while: Maggin would write a wonderful Spider-Man.

As great as Maggin's stuff was, I don't think he was suited to write either Batman or BATMAN FAMILY. The moment this sensation crystalized for me was in that issue where Batman fights a hockey team. This "Austin Powers" stuff might have flown back in the fifties but it really felt out of place in (are you ready for this?) 1976. Len Wein had already written the character and Steve Englehart was mere scant months from doing his "definitive" take.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Superman Forever
Superman Family

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 06:23:37 AM »

Elliot S! Maggin have indeed written Spider-Man for only an issue: Spectacular Spider-Man (Vol. 1) #16 - and said to hate the experience.
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 06:33:28 PM »

Well, not to look like I'm taking bragging rights, but I was talking about this back in early July. And here's the pudding:

http://superman.nu/smf/index.php?topic=3686.0

I found your post after my second search (not sure why it didn't turn up the first time.) I remember your thread, but at the time I thought the title was about the first time Maggin ran for Congress...

Still, I have to say that he is not running a very good campaign if he made his announcement on Miracle Monday and we didn't know about it. You didn't notice until July!

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L