superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes Newton<Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:46:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman:MOS pushed back  (Read 16366 times)
davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« on: September 27, 2007, 07:36:34 AM »

Found this tidbit... it might be 2010 before MOS hits!

Article is here:  http://movies.msn.com/movies/hitlist/09-25-07_3?gt1=7701

Currently in Germany directing the Nazi drama "Valkyrie" starring Tom Cruise, director Bryan Singer may have been surprised to find out he doesn't have another "Superman" movie to come home to. Previously announced for 2009, "Superman: Man of Steel" was set to pick up where "Superman Returns" left off and begin production next summer. Now, "Justice League of America" has muddled the situation.

Both Variety and The Hollywood Reporter confirmed the long-rumored selection of George Miller ("Happy Feet") to direct the action ensemble "League" for Warner Bros. The ultimate superhero team featuring Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, the Flash and Green Lantern, the picture is expected to begin shooting in Australia this spring before the dreaded screenwriters "strike date" of July 1. The studio is making it a tentpole release the following summer. Intriguingly for Superman fans, Variety said "Man of Steel" has "taken a backseat," but the Reporter said "Steel" is still "in development." And although screenwriter Mike Dougherty is currently working on a "Steel" screenplay, a lot can happen in two years. With "Steel" getting pushed back to an expected 2010 release, will Singer wait around that long?

The popular filmmaker is certainly in an odd spot. Somewhere before or after "Steel" he is supposed to helm "The Mayor of Castro Street," which tells the tale of slain, gay icon Harvey Milk, but that picture is battling a start date over a similar project from Gus Van Sant (nobody wants "Capote" vs. "Infamous" again). Considering how quickly "Valkyrie" came about this year and Singer's previous history of jumping ship off the third "X-Men" movie, it wouldn't be surprising to see the director move on to something completely different by the time Warner Bros. decides to make another Superman movie.

The studio currently has a more pressing concern to lower fan expectations that either Brandon Routh or Christian Bale will reprise their respective roles as Superman and Batman in "League." Bale is close to finishing almost six months of shooting "The Dark Knight" and dismissed any thought of "League" during the press day for "3:10 to Yuma." Routh's noninvolvement is more of a surprise. The actor hasn't appeared in a studio movie since "Returns" (that's a long 18 months since that flick wrapped), but he recently joined the cast of the independently financed "The Informers" opposite Billy Bob Thornton and Kim Basinger. Oddly, Routh's noninvolvement in "League" could mean there will be three different Supermen in Hollywood: Routh, the new "League" actor and Tom Welling (a fan favorite from "Smallville"). There's always a chance the studio could change its mind, but at this point, Miller and Warner Bros. are expected to choose talented but less famous actors for the project, similar to what Zack Snyder has done with another Warner Bros. movie, "Watchmen."

With Variety saying those involved with "League" are "holding their breath" that the whole project doesn't fall apart and with "Steel" up in the air, fans can sleep easy knowing "The Dark Knight" will definitely hit theaters next summer

Shocked

nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 01:25:00 PM »

Interesting news.  Personally I think the more time passes, the less likely it is we'll see a "sequel" to Superman Returns.  Although I'm not one of those people who consider that film a financial flop (how can it be with that intake?) and although I personally enjoyed SR, I get the distinct impression the studio's not happy with how it went and they're attuned to fan discontent.  All the talk about a sequel being a "sure thing" is, I think, a case of saving face.  As time goes by, I think it's more likely they'll quietly shelve Singer's sequel when no one's looking, then re-launch Superman yet again, like what Marvel's doing with the Hulk.

And that would probably be for the best.  Again, I liked SR and I really took to Routh, but they painted themselves in a corner with that script and I'm not sure how they could continue the story from there.

The oddest part of this report, to me, is the bit about an upcoming strike in July 2008.  Is it standard practice to announce a strike a year ahead of time???

This looks like a job for...
Ruby Spears Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 03:10:55 AM »

Not that I didn't enjoy Returns but it seems to me that perhaps the smartest thing they could have done was start the franchise over to begin with instead of trying follow in the footsteps of the Donner movies. I think a lot of the people who are mad at Singer are more upset that he tried to follow in the old movies shoes then anything else. I'm not saying it's fair, but any movie that tries to follow the originals is going to have too much expectations on it then it would be able to meet.
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 09:20:11 PM »

I don't agree that a total relaunch of the franchise would have been better...in fact, I can guarantee that most on this forum would have hated the result if it had happened.

Superman Returns could have been planned better. There could have been a theatrical release of the Donner Cuts first, and this movie certainly could have been written better. But I don't think that any of the movie series needs a complete restart, because people are more familiar with the original movies than any other Superman story. The one exception in need of a total relaunch is Supergirl.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Superman Forever
Superman Family

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 11:32:52 PM »

Iīm against a revamp of the franchise, but the real problem is that Superman Returns didnīt speak to itīs teenagers target audience. The Spider-Man movies by Sam Raimi do that, as well as the Smallville TV show. Superman Returns was too sophisticated to its own good.

About the Justice League of America new movie, with a plot based on the Omac Project from Infintite Crisis, it may be a comercial success, but I donīt see how it can improve the quality of DC Comics characters in the big screen. Being so bad planned, with Iron Age-esque written all over it, I think it will be everything we dontīwant to see. With good stories like Grant Morrisonīs fist arc New World Order and Mark Waidīs JLA: Year One, the decide to adapt INFINITE CRISIS?Huh?
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 02:08:50 AM »

I'm of the opinion that the franchise needed a reboot. I liked the first Donner film when I was younger, but it is nearly 30 years old and is quite dated. And I could go a couple of decades without having to see that silly disembodied head or the words, "Kneel before Zod."

I'm sorry, but this generation of kids deserved their "own" version of the story. Not the garbage that is produced on tv, not a thinly-veiled remake of the Donner film, but something truly epic. Birthright would have been the perfect template to use.
Superman Forever
Superman Family

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 04:24:44 AM »

I agree that the Superman Returns movie was made for "us" ans not for "them", but it had a kind of love for the source material that I didnīt see in the Animated Series, Smallville or any of the other treatments of the franchise, like the Kevin Smith and Tim Burton aborted versions. Birhtright is a great comic book, but it wasnīt successfull, either, and it would look a lot like a Smallville movie. In fact, any retelling of the origin in a movie now would suffer beceuse of that TV series. Itīs kind of a no-win scenario, sadly.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 02:10:04 PM »

Well again, I really liked Superman Returns but I think it was wrong-headed to try to continue the Chris Reeve series.  Those films are far enough in the past to be forgotten by today's kids, as opposed to the Burton/Schumacher Batman films...and yet Batman did get a reboot! (Well except for still being stuck in a big stupid rubber suit).

And let's be honest here; two and a half of the four Reeve movies weren't even good films, so why this slavish devotion?  Donner, Reeve, et al were given an opportunity to re-imagine the character without being faitfhul to the George Reeves version (prior to Dec 1978, still most people's idea of "Superman"), so why not give Routh the same chance?

I'd like to see a re-imagining of the legend, with a tougher, more mature looking actor in the lead and a moratorium on -- maybe even a banishment of -- Luthor tales.  And I agree they should stay away from another retelling of the origin.  It's a great yarn, but there are tons of great Superman stories to be told, let's move on already.  Start with Superman already on Earth and his career established, bring in a major threat and get cracking.

This looks like a job for...
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L