superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:20:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman:MOS pushed back  (Read 16367 times)
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007, 04:34:43 PM »

I agree that the Superman Returns movie was made for "us" ans not for "them", but it had a kind of love for the source material that I didnīt see in the Animated Series, Smallville or any of the other treatments of the franchise, like the Kevin Smith and Tim Burton aborted versions. Birhtright is a great comic book, but it wasnīt successfull, either, and it would look a lot like a Smallville movie. In fact, any retelling of the origin in a movie now would suffer beceuse of that TV series. Itīs kind of a no-win scenario, sadly.

I didn't hate Superman Returns, but there was just nothing remotly original about it. From the visuals, to the plot points, to the dialogue; it was really just an homage to the Donner film.

With today's technology, it would have been a great opportunity to present a Krypton that wasn't based on a bloody snowflake. Tongue
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2007, 02:07:21 AM »

I say reboot the S-franchise with the JLA feature George Miller's doing.

Tom Welling is ready and he did a darn nice version of the heat vision/dam scenario in these season's opener.  (And Chris Reeve vibe without imitating him)  Always bothered me in the first Donner that he had to stop the dambreak with boulders  - why not evaporate the water as he did so often in the comics.

Continue the TV franchise with the new Supergirl.

Win/win scenario.

Bring in Brainiac and lets get all SPACE opera ala Ed Hamiltion, Otto Binder and Jim Shooter.

Oh and a REAL Superman costume thank you very much.
carmine
Superman Family

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2007, 01:58:39 PM »

If they make a new superman movie is it really a "reboot" or is it just a new movie. If they made a new Sherlock Holmes movie it isn't a reboot, its just a new Sherlock holmes movie.

It's just as well that they don't make a sequel to Superman returns , I don't want to see a movie about Superman's kid.

Plus , thematically, the trilogy is all done. the 3 films (superman, superman 2, superman returns) are about father and son relations and everything comes full circle (in a way).

PS. Kevin Spacey was good as lex (though his escape from prison was poorly conceived) and Routh did a good job doing a Reeves impresion. I think this is one of those times were the creator was just TOO into the subject matter (in this case singers love for the donner films) to actually do a good job.
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2007, 02:21:05 PM »

Iīm against a revamp of the franchise, but the real problem is that Superman Returns didnīt speak to itīs teenagers target audience.
But did Superman, when it first came out?  Spider-Man is far more a "teenager" character than Superman was.

Just for some perspective here...

Superman Returns is one of the top 100 domestic grossing movies of all times and made about as much as Batman Begins.

Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2007, 04:55:07 AM »

So it made $ -- so what.  So does a lot of other inferior product.

Time to go beyond a storyline that's played out thematically.  Let's see some real Superman -- maybe one who uses heat vision to evaporate a damburst instead of throwing rocks at it,

All in the script -- 'cause it it ain't on the page, it ain't on the stage. 
Superman Forever
Superman Family

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2007, 06:40:05 AM »

I think that the Superman Returns movie was the higher pont of a Bronze Age version of the character in screen. All of the Maggin "Must there be..." was there, and in the upcoming Justice League Movie - with Omac Project from Infinite Crisis, Maxwell Lord and Superman fighting both Batman and Wonder Woman, according to the news - and in a possible Superman franchise revamp, all weīll get is the Iron Aged Superman. Iīm predicting a bad reaction from this forum... all the reverence for the Maggin/Bates stuff in comics here in STTA applies to the Donnerīs movies, why not? Singer nailed it beautifully. Revamping the movie versions woud be no different from the John Byrne revamp in comics, specially according to the JLA script and Warner policy.
jayce77
Superman's Pal

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 03:24:14 AM »

Found this tidbit... it might be 2010 before MOS hits!

Article is here:  http://movies.msn.com/movies/hitlist/09-25-07_3?gt1=7701

Currently in Germany directing the Nazi drama "Valkyrie" starring Tom Cruise, director Bryan Singer may have been surprised to find out he doesn't have another "Superman" movie to come home to. Previously announced for 2009, "Superman: Man of Steel" was set to pick up where "Superman Returns" left off and begin production next summer. Now, "Justice League of America" has muddled the situation.

Wow, how things have certainly changed. Although S.R. did'nt blow me away. I did enjoy it , I loved Spacey's Luthor, and was very interested in seeing where they could go from there. Guess we never will. But there's always hope we might see that neat Director's cut someday.

nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2011, 01:01:02 PM »

Well, it's hard to wish for an even longer version of SR, but it would be a shame if they didn't do something with that expensive (and supposedly impressive) "journey to Krypton" footage, now that Singer won't be using it in a sequel.

This looks like a job for...
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L