superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes Newton<Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:57:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Infinite Crisis...A Very Late Review  (Read 16163 times)
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 08:53:46 PM »

AAAHAHAHA! I feel just like the chap who's obviously going "What?"

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 01:19:07 PM »

Permanus writes:

AAAHAHAHA! I feel just like the chap who's obviously going "What?"

That would be Jimmy Olsen.  "What?" is probably the motto on his family crest.  Smiley

Michel Weisnor writes:

My biggest criticism, DC allowed the heroes of CoIE to be the big bad villains of Infinite Crisis. Remember all the good they performed? Sorry, E-2 Superman's an emotional wreck, Alex Luthor's suddenly Lex Luthor, and Superboy "Punchy" Prime is insane. I guess it's easier to write today's heroes as heroes, if the heroes of yesterday are complete nutcases. Plus, what was the point of E-2 Wonder Woman's appearance? She shows up for a few panels and disappears?! The fact of the matter is, I was expecting E-2 Superman and the others to make a difference and show the current heroes a better way, instead of the Machiavellian tatics the current heroes were and still are using.

Indeed, it's pretty stupid: "You heroes of the DCU are unworthy because you have no manners, no class, no moral center and you just add to the chaos of your world, rather than fixing it.  Therefore we are going to restore order and niceness by beating you to bloody pulps and destroying your world in favor of ours."  Huh?

There is a very odd vibe around this book, to say the least.  The writers bring up all the objections we old-timers have made for years; that modern heroes are not heroes at all, that Batman is a jerk, Superman a wuss and Wonder Woman a murderer, etc, introducing the hope, early on, that something's going to be done about all those deficiences.  But of course it isn't.  So what's the point of bringing it up?  Self-loathing on the part of modern creators who know they're doing a substandard job, yet in the end can't do anything else?  Or is it a poke in the eye to us complainers, a way of saying, "Yes, the modern DCU is a sucky place to be, and that's how we like it.  By arguing for us to reboot again, you are every bit as fascist and 'violent' as the villains in IC and everyone else in our books."

Which were they going for? Because what I got out of it was...well, confusion.  Everyone from the "villainous" E-2 Superman to the "official" Batman and Superman admit the modern DCU is a disaster (with Superman in particular realizing he's a major failure where it really counts) and yet ultimately we're just given more of the same...times ten!

The answer, I guess, is that "we know the DCU is broken, and we're going to fix it.  But first, seven more issues of crap."  So ultimately, not only do you need to read a dozen other mini-series to understand this book, you need to read a couple more mini-series (still in progress at this date) to understand what, if anything, the events of IC mean to the DCU.

So again, this book is worthless in and of itself.

This looks like a job for...
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 03:53:48 PM »

I totally agree especially in regards to Didio's Trinity. Then, due to 52, Didio's Trinity go on separate "vacations" abandoning New Earth to B-list and some D-list heroes. Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman we really need you. Black Adams murdering millions of people. Where are you? Oh well, Earth is plunging into WW3 (again). You guys enjoy your time off. Preposterous!     

A little off topic...

Makes you wonder what DC will do with the 52 reinterpretation of Earth-1. I am a little worried, Countdown's trigger happy Monitor is really New Earth-1's guardian. Imagine what New Earth-1's heroes might be like, if this is true?! Embarrassed

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Ruby Spears Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2007, 05:57:14 PM »

If it's any consolation, the post-crisis crowd isn't too thrilled with the outcome of this series either. Largely because of the continuity changes it brought about in Superman and others. What DC is doing now just seems to be a watered down version of everything that came before. Go to the DC message boards and you'll find people of all stripes not happy with the confusion. 

Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2007, 01:32:06 PM »

If it's any consolation, the post-crisis crowd isn't too thrilled with the outcome of this series either. Largely because of the continuity changes it brought about in Superman and others. What DC is doing now just seems to be a watered down version of everything that came before. Go to the DC message boards and you'll find people of all stripes not happy with the confusion. 

I love to read other boards to get different opinions. Isn't it funny, how only a very few really enjoyed Infinite Crisis? That should tell you something about this miniseries.

One Year Later  Wink, from now, we'll all understand better where DC wants to go with mainstream continuity. I expect Morrison's Final Crisis to end the 7 year crossover and get on with creative driven monthlies. Of course, I've been wrong before....

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2007, 05:10:45 PM »

One Year Later  , from now, we'll all understand better where DC wants to go with mainstream continuity.

If that's true, we'll be one up on everyone at DC.

This looks like a job for...
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2007, 12:08:48 AM »

I love to read other boards to get different opinions. Isn't it funny, how only a very few really enjoyed Infinite Crisis? That should tell you something about this miniseries.

well, Julian loved it at least Tongue

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2007, 07:25:23 AM »

Only because most people hated it?   Grin

Sadly, I think we've lost Julian...
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L