superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:07:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Page 18 and a new look  (Read 11511 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« on: October 13, 2007, 05:20:04 AM »

Page 18 is finished:

http://superman.nu/k-metal-from-krypton/?page=18&w=1920

Artwork for this one courtesy of Shane Foley with colors by Sarge.

Also with this page is a new look which I've added in an attempt to make the image appear like it's actually been scanned from an old comic book.  I'm considering running all of the pages either through this process or another one similar to it.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 08:39:11 PM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 08:18:25 AM »

Fantastic work!  The "yellowed newsprint" patina was particularly effective. 

Bravo on this amazing reconstruction.  You captured the Shuster Studio "look" very convincingly.  I look forward to page 19.

DTO
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 02:29:47 PM »

The "old comic look" works much better than the too modern for it's own good look that it had before. This page makes me far more happy than the rest Smiley

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 05:13:02 PM »

Is that some half tone/"dots" setting in photoshop or a similar program?
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 01:58:14 AM »

You had another example a few days ago (the thread is gone) and I thought the dot pattern was too strong. But it seems less here and the muted color and yellow look is really nice.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 07:41:34 PM »

Is that some half tone/"dots" setting in photoshop or a similar program?

Exactly, and as Tenzil observed, it took me a couple of days to figure out all the options and settings.  The idea to use this filter was Angel's and I ran with it.

I'm pleased that people like the patina, I hadn't been certain about it.

I think the combination works well so I'll most likely continue with them on the rest of the pages.

The idea of emulating a printed comic came to me while I was reading a recent Fantagraphics reprint book of Our Gang comics from the 1940s.  Instead of "reconstructing" the artwork as some other publishers do, Fantagraphics laser-scanned actual comic books, dots and all, and then printed them on a flat, off-white paper.  The volume is a joy to read and I wanted to capture that same feel here.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 07:47:00 PM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L