superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:40:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Page 19 online  (Read 13993 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« on: October 20, 2007, 06:19:01 AM »

Subject line says it:

http://superman.nu/k-metal-from-krypton/?page=19

Pencils and inks by Shane; colors by Sarge.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 12:32:01 PM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 01:39:54 AM »

... and here's page 20:

The original 1940 artwork by Wayne Boring and John Sikela:
http://superman.nu/k-metal-from-krypton/?page=20&art=old

and the completed page as cleaned up and colored by Sarge:
http://superman.nu/k-metal-from-krypton/?page=20&w=1920

« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 08:24:27 PM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 08:08:09 AM »

Gorgeous work on both pages!  However, I immediately noticed that on page 20 "dilemma" is missing one "m".  While there's certainly room in that line to squeeze in that "m", I see that spelling mistake was in the original 1940 artwork.  Was this a conscious decision to strictly adhere to the original, even though it's possible that DC editors might have caught and corrected that line?  Just curious.

Only six more pages to go!  Congratulations on this truly unique project!

DTO
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 02:09:48 AM »

Nothing for a while.. then.. POW two pages out of nowhere!

The new treatment is just perfect and makes the whole project look very classy.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 07:28:42 AM »

Really like the latest look, panel 1 of page 20 is beautiful...
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 07:32:45 PM »

Gorgeous work on both pages!  However, I immediately noticed that on page 20 "dilemma" is missing one "m".  While there's certainly room in that line to squeeze in that "m", I see that spelling mistake was in the original 1940 artwork.  Was this a conscious decision to strictly adhere to the original, even though it's possible that DC editors might have caught and corrected that line?  Just curious.

To be honest, I hadn't noticed that.  Thanks for pointing it out.

I'm debating whether to keep the error or to correct it.  A tough call, since this is the first page that has been in such great condition that absolutely none of it has had to be redrawn.  Aside from some digital clean-up, it's all original inks.  I like the idea of keeping it that way, but I've had no hesitation in correcting errors that have shown up on previous pages.  I think a good case could be made either way.

Quote from: MatterEaterLad
Really like the latest look, panel 1 of page 20 is beautiful...

I agree, it is.  I'm very grateful that we got ahold of the original artwork.

Avilos
Supermen of America

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 04:34:50 AM »

The new coloring is fantastic!
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 04:58:17 AM »

I'm debating whether to keep the error or to correct it.  A tough call, since this is the first page that has been in such great condition that absolutely none of it has had to be redrawn.  Aside from some digital clean-up, it's all original inks.  I like the idea of keeping it that way, but I've had no hesitation in correcting errors that have shown up on previous pages.  I think a good case could be made either way.

Yes, I understand the need to be sensitive to the original material.  But here's a question -- what would DC do if they discovered the mistake back in 1940?  At this stage of production (inked, but uncolored) would they have bothered to correct this error, or let it slide?  How difficult would it be to correct that line of dialogue, given the technology and printing practices of the day?  And how common were grammatical errors at the time?  I highly suspect DC proofreaders would have spotted the mistake, but if production was rushed...

As a possible compromise, I would be satisfied with correcting the spelling on the "restored" page, but keeping the original for comparison.  At least viewers will have a chance to appreciate the untampered dialogue.  But I certainly agree that this is a difficult judgment call.

DTO
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L