superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE AUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:01:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DC & Marvel Parallell Worlds  (Read 9342 times)
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« on: October 21, 2007, 01:57:20 AM »

After years of hearing about Mark Gruenwald's Squadron Surpreme, last month, I finally read his Squadron Surpreme from beginning to end. Since then, I've scrambled searching for all Squadron crossovers I could lay my hands on. Marvel's Justice League sparked my interest in further exploration of Marvel/DC parallel worlds. DC also had it's own take on the Marvel Universe with the less popular Champions of Angor. Out of this universe, the Extremists, evil pastiches of Marvel's villains, ruled a ruined Angor in the late 80's Justice League series. So my question, besides current comics such as Supreme Power and the upcoming Lord Havoc and the Extremists, did DC publish other Marvel-like characters in their own stories or vice versa? For example, I recall a DC Galactus but cannot track down any information.   

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Superman of America
Superman Family

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 10:45:54 PM »

Hank Henshaw's(Cyborg Superman) space team was reminicent of the Fantastic Four(they even had very similar powers before they died). Rob Liefeld was working on DC version of the X-men before Marvel threatned to sue. This concept later became Youngblood. On Justice League Unlimited, Dr. Fate, Aquaman, & Solomon Grundy teamed up into a very "Defenders" type team.

Superman of America: America's No.1 Sunshine Superman!
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 12:44:33 AM »

Hank Henshaw's(Cyborg Superman) space team was reminicent of the Fantastic Four(they even had very similar powers before they died). Rob Liefeld was working on DC version of the X-men before Marvel threatned to sue. This concept later became Youngblood. On Justice League Unlimited, Dr. Fate, Aquaman, & Solomon Grundy teamed up into a very "Defenders" type team.

Youngblood was already created in the early 1980's they appear as a pin-up in Megaton. It has to be floating around cyberspace somewhere, but I am far to scared to google image search Rob Liefeld art  Cry Cry

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
AMAZO
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 03:43:27 AM »

Youngblood was already created in the early 1980's they appear as a pin-up in Megaton. It has to be floating around cyberspace somewhere, but I am far to scared to google image search Rob Liefeld "art"  Cry Cry
I thought that needed a little change:P
On topic, wasn't there a fake pseudo-Avengers who fought the Justice League in the 1970s? I only dimly recall the issue, but Blue Jay was the Wasp take-off.

Also, in the Civil War Fantastic Four trade, the Thing works with a group of French heroes who are obvious parodies/homages to the Justice League.

A GENIUS IN INTELLECT-
A HERCULES IN STRENGTH
A NEMESIS TO WRONG-DOERS-
The SUPERMAN!
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 04:55:15 AM »

I did a double-take when I ran across some DC house ads in Superman 669.  There's one ad for a new miniseries called "Salvation Run" that at first glance I thought was a team composed of Doctor Strange, the Mole Man, and a couple of other Marvel heroes:

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/SALR-Cv1.jpg

A page later, I thought there was an ad for Marvel's "Death of Captain America" until I realized that it was another DC house ad, this time for something called "Countdown Presents Lord Havok and the Extremists":

http://images.newsarama.com/dcnew/Oct07/CDPR_LHVK_Cv1_solicit.jpg

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 12:08:23 AM »

I did a double-take when I ran across some DC house ads in Superman 669.  There's one ad for a new miniseries called "Salvation Run" that at first glance I thought was a team composed of Doctor Strange, the Mole Man, and a couple of other Marvel heroes:

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/SALR-Cv1.jpg

A page later, I thought there was an ad for Marvel's "Death of Captain America" until I realized that it was another DC house ad, this time for something called "Countdown Presents Lord Havok and the Extremists":

http://images.newsarama.com/dcnew/Oct07/CDPR_LHVK_Cv1_solicit.jpg

up is down, left is right... dogs and cats holding paws...

That so called Lord Havok looks a whole lot like this bloke: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death's_Head

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L