superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:50:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Death of the classic Superman franchise. Next version to be Iron Aged?  (Read 16513 times)
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 05:33:02 PM »

AND NO NIC CAGE! (unless he wants to reimagine Luke Cage) Wink
Superman Forever
Superman Family

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 06:43:12 PM »

Forget what age..

it's called pastiche.  Like "Beatlemania" -- an incredible simulation but lacking any depth, originality or soul.  It's like someone cut and pasted the best and worst of the Donner/Reeeve flicks without doing anything original.

I understand where you´re coming from, but honestly disagree. I think Superman Returns was original in advancing the stoty 5 years, giving Lois and Superman a child, introducing Richard White, and, what´s more important, dealing with REAL THEMES of alienation, social commentary on how people can´t express their feelings, higher moral standarts than the slugfest of Marvel movies or teenage exploitation of Smallville TV series, all the essence of Superman to me.
Superman Forever
Superman Family

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 06:48:56 PM »

Instead of Superman looking down on Earth as a god, why not have Superman defending Earth from an intergalactic threat?

...As Nightwing stated, please no Tim Burton!!!     

I think Superman looking down on Earth as a god is much more in tone with the defining stories of Bronze Age and Bronze Age renaiscence than a an intergalactic threat.

1- Must there be a Superman?

2 - Secret Identity

3 - Superman for All Seasons

These are all defining Superman stories by Maggin, Busiek and Loeb that shows moral values, not fights.

About Tim Burton and Nicolas Cage, of couse, keep than out.
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 08:47:16 PM »

Instead of Superman looking down on Earth as a god, why not have Superman defending Earth from an intergalactic threat? As everyone is stating, they've got the Special Effects so lets see WB use them! He's Superman not Spider-Man. Who says he needs to stay on Earth? It's Space Opera time on a grand scale. Get everyone talking about the new Sc-Fi Superman franchise for the 21st century.
I agree, but...

Science fiction doesn't sell on the big screen these days.  Look at how few "real" science fiction big-screen movies there are, as opposed to stuff that's more along the lines of heroic fantasy.  Sci-fi is doing quite well on the small screen if you can get past most of the lame Sci-Fi network movies, but that's the small screen.

Although, UK writers usually hold Superman in high regard, Mark Millar doesn't stand a chance writing a Superman franchise.
I will say that Mark Millar's "Superman Adventures" run was better than anything else "Superman" at the time.  He's quite capable of writing a "good" Superman story.  Unfortunately, the "Authorty" and "Ultimates" approach sells and generates hype. 

Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 11:25:53 PM »

Instead of Superman looking down on Earth as a god, why not have Superman defending Earth from an intergalactic threat?

...As Nightwing stated, please no Tim Burton!!!     

I think Superman looking down on Earth as a god is much more in tone with the defining stories of Bronze Age and Bronze Age renaiscence than a an intergalactic threat.

1- Must there be a Superman?

2 - Secret Identity

3 - Superman for All Seasons

These are all defining Superman stories by Maggin, Busiek and Loeb that shows moral values, not fights.

About Tim Burton and Nicolas Cage, of couse, keep than out.

I guess I never looked at Superman as a god. It's one interpretation that never resonated with me. Again, I always felt Superman would look toward the stars than look down on earthlings. After growing up in Smallville, it's almost expected.  Plus, it's got to be lonely and cold up in the exosphere.  Cheesy

I agree, but...

Science fiction doesn't sell on the big screen these days.  Look at how few "real" science fiction big-screen movies there are, as opposed to stuff that's more along the lines of heroic fantasy.  Sci-fi is doing quite well on the small screen if you can get past most of the lame Sci-Fi network movies, but that's the small screen.

I will say that Mark Millar's "Superman Adventures" run was better than anything else "Superman" at the time.  He's quite capable of writing a "good" Superman story.  Unfortunately, the "Authorty" and "Ultimates" approach sells and generates hype. 

Why can't a new Superman movie change that approach to film making? Science Fiction is a form of fantasy entertainment and from what I understand Superman's mythology is knee deep in it. Give the fans a well thought out spectacle, instead of a mess of a movie with dull plots and sci-fi elements.

That's why UK writers are a strange lot. They'll write what appeals to pop culture, except when they write Superman. Then, it's all awe and wonder. Mark Miller's Superman was well done (from what I understand). Although, his Red Son was more a political story with Superman in the title role. Grant Morrison's writes a mean Superman. Alan Moore wrote his take on Superman for DC and Rob Liefeld Grin. Neil Gaiman's Superman wasn't that bad. Even Garth Ennis has some respect for Superman when he writes the character. I'm not saying their perfect. They just seem to grasp Superman's characterization better than most modern American writers, who frequently want to make changes and unnecessary tweaks.     

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 12:12:24 PM »

or not...

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=134016

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
BMK!
Superman Family

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007, 01:20:49 PM »

Unfortunately, there will be no Superman movie in Mark Millar's future...

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=134016
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L