superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "SONG OF THE EARTH!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:36:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Make way for Superb..man Prime Spoilers  (Read 6421 times)
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« on: October 26, 2007, 01:04:40 AM »

"have to admit...Prime is one of my absolute favorite characters to write in comics. Glad so many had fun with it. He's the villain you love to hate - and yet, you can see the kid gone wrong so easy. And the black humor and irony dripping out of his cynical, jaded and over-the-top actions...good times. Good times." - Geoff Johns

In case you missed it:

In Qward, Sinestro formed his own fear inducing cosmic force, the Sinestro Corps. Allying the Sinestro's Corps with Cyborg Superman's Manhunters, Parallax, and Superboy Prime, the Anti-Monitor plans on destroying New Earth, thus wiping out the 52 multiverse leaving only the anti-universe of Qward. Only one group dares to challenge this intergalactic threat (sorry I couldn't help myself) - the Green Lantern Corps with some help from Earth's super teams, natch.   

Tales of the Sinestro Corps: Superman Prime #1 Short Review

http://www.wizarduniverse.com/magazine/wizard/006206688.cfm

It's been a while since Superboy Prime returned, slaughtering his way through past and present heroes. Thanks to the Sinestro Corps War, Superboy Prime Round 2 starts and ends with more of the same whining, crying, and murder most come to expect from this once Elliot S! Maggin/Curt Swan creation. Thanks to the Siegel and Shuster lawsuit, Superboy Prime now calls himself Superman Prime and he's all grown up.

Spoilers...................

Prime's return, to New Earth, begins at Bart Allen's Flash memorial, where he attracts the attention of all DC's heroes. Since Superboy Prime's wearing his solar armour, the heroes deduce he's not at full strength and since it's night, they might be able to defeat him, only if they remove his armour before daybreak. After a few pages of fighting, Superboy Prime "flashes back" to Earth-Prime and how, as Clark Kent, he struggled with his identity as a normal kid with the name of a comic hero. Readers are reintroduced to Laurie, as Prime remembers her fondness for the sun, not kidding. Jump cut to more pages of fighting and maiming, it's fun for the whole family! Flashback continues with a retelling of DC Comics Presents 87. Earth-1 Superman enlists the help of Superboy Prime during the Crisis. Unfortunately, Earth-Prime is caught in an entropy wave as a screaming Laurie disappears. The Crisis is retold. Back on New Earth, Superboy Prime dismisses Robin's advance, only Robin is not alone. It's Krypto vs Superboy Prime, the war to settle the score. Krypto appears to have the upper paw as another flashback interrupts the action. This time, the Crisis Survivor's Tale is retold and the subsequent Infinite Crisis. After Superboy Prime's defeat, he is incarcerated by the Oans, where the Sinestro Corps rescue him. Superboy Prime discovers the Anti-Monitor exists. While angry with the Anti-Monitor for his current predicament, he agrees to join the Sinestro Corps to avenge his most recent defeat. Then, only after the Anti-Monitor's victory, Superboy Prime will defeat all the bad guys because everyone's else is stupid, again not kidding. Back at Krypto and Superboy Prime's slam, Prime gets the upperhand tearing off Krypto's cape. Flinging a battered Cyborg Superman at Prime, Superman, Supergirl, and Power Girl battle Superboy Prime. Eventually the sun rises, a fully charged Superboy Prime calls himself Superman Prime, and he flies off to fight Sodam Yat, the Daxamite Ion wielding Green Lantern. Oh yeah, did I mention the Anti-Monitor is standing in New York Bay?

The overall gist of this book, as Geoff Johns' quote indicates, is to feel for Superman Prime, while loathing him. After reading this issue, I feel sorry Superboy Prime has been subjected to inferior storytelling. Once, a heroic innocent character, Superboy Prime is further darkened to fit a twisted sense of humour. It's like someone told a nasty joke about you, behind your back, and everyone is pointing and snickering. Superboy Prime deserved better than this and I feel like I did after I read Infinite Crisis, robbed.               

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 07:13:11 AM »

Maybe they should have stayed in the paradise dimension after all....
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 04:45:47 PM »

I feel like I did after I read Infinite Crisis, robbed.

Sorry to hear it, but if a guy ran off with your money once, would you ever let him hold it again?  Probably not.  And yet Johns keeps getting more chances.  What hold does this guy have on people?

This looks like a job for...
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 04:52:57 PM »

"Man with with two first names not to be trusted," Charlie Chan Prime. 
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 06:13:50 PM »

Just do what I do, stop buying his books and perhaps DC will start it take a hint. But if you buy his books DC will think that you want more and more of the same at that.

SO please stop

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 06:25:57 PM »

I feel like I did after I read Infinite Crisis, robbed.
Sorry to hear it, but if a guy ran off with your money once, would you ever let him hold it again?  Probably not.  And yet Johns keeps getting more chances.  What hold does this guy have on people?

I guess because, on occansion, Geoff Johns is more than capable of writing a well thought out story. His Sinestro Corps War began brilliantly but as it drags on, it's loosing focus. Really, I should know better.  Tongue

Just do what I do, stop buying his books and perhaps DC will start it take a hint. But if you buy his books DC will think that you want more and more of the same at that.

You're right and that pic pretty much sums it up.  Smiley Time to start spending my cash on something else.

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 01:11:15 AM »

I didn't get past the part where Superman-Prime, needing sunlight to be at full strength, starts out on the dark side of the Earth.  With even 1% of Superman level powers, he orbits the earth in a second and gets light, long before most anyone can muster a soliloquy.

FWIW, I didn't buy it -- cover just looked disgusting in a Superdickery way.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 02:14:02 AM by Uncle Mxy » Logged
Ruby Spears Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 03:21:51 PM »

I hate to say it, but I think Secret Identity, (whose banner just appeared above me, irony of ironies) did a better job with the "Kid with superpowers lives in a world where Superman is a comic character" concept then the original story did. I would love to start reading Superman again, but to me what they are doing now is no different then the post-crisis universe. I have gotten to the point where non-superhero stuff sounds more appealling to me then what's on the shelves these days. I would also love to see them give the pocket universe Superboy a chance again but at this rate they'd screw him up too.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L