superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonSUPER FRIENDS DVD!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 01:08:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Make way for Superb..man Prime Spoilers  (Read 6380 times)
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2007, 03:54:22 PM »

I hate to say it, but I think Secret Identity, (whose banner just appeared above me, irony of ironies) did a better job with the "Kid with superpowers lives in a world where Superman is a comic character" concept then the original story did.

No big surprise, since in the trade paperback introduction Kurt Busiek elaborates on how he originally wanted to write a Superboy-Prime story, but in order to get his project approved the concept had to change significantly.  I'd recommend reading this intro, since it provides a fascinating inside look at how an original idea evolves to get past DC's screening process.

And recall that Superboy-Prime's "Secret Identity" was completely blown in front of neighbors, friends and police when he and Superman paid a final visit to the Kents and Laurie.  Even if the Crisis ended differently and Earth-Prime saved, Superboy-Prime would have a problematic homecoming.  Do you really think this story could be kept quiet?  Superman: Secret Identity resolved the dilemma of "everyone knowing Clark Kent is Superman" by turning the concept on its ear -- NOBODY would believe that someone named Clark Kent would DARE take on a Superman persona!   Wink

DTO
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L