superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:19:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: questions on: Superman in the UK  (Read 3266 times)
Ria13
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« on: January 08, 2009, 03:02:02 PM »

I have started a superhero project taking place in Great Britain. the story begins in 1939 or '40 with the superheroes first appearing to the public circa 1940.

my research has not managed to find out:

* When did Superman debut in the UK?
* In what form? (Comic strip, comic book, radio, giant robot, Virtual Reality hologram, other)
* Did any knockoff characters perhaps reach the UK before Superman? (International Hero hasn't definitively said either way, though I do notice a number of gloriously cheesy imitations througout the '40's.)

as of yet, I think I will have the characters referred to as "wonder men" (obviously they didn't call them superheroes back then) and avoid the term "superpowers".

I do want to have a brief scene taking place at Superman Day at the World's Fair in which "Superman" gives his opionion about a person with strange powers in England. however cowardice might make me shy away from this, even if I didn't plan to have the actor in the suit call himself "Superman". basically, I wouldn't want to get sued, because DC might consider this an un-authorized use of their trademark. or something.

thanks in advance for any help.
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 09:49:31 AM »

As far as I know, Superman first appeared in Britain in Triumph Comics in 1939, but I don't know how much more than that; I don't think he lasted very long, for some reason. I don't know that there was a direct Superman knock-off, at least not at first; there don't really seem to have been many British superhero comics until the late 40s, when characters like Ace Hart, Wonderman and Marvelman (the latter two created by Mick Anglo) appeared, owing much of their appearance and powers to Superman and Captain Marvel.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 01:33:51 PM by Permanus » Logged

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L