superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:49:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Confessions of A Superman Fan is no more!  (Read 20415 times)
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 12:43:13 AM »

Where do your reviews go up?  I'd be interested in that.  We got Netflix to catch up on recent films, but I find I'm doing with that service what I did with Blockbuster, and cable, etc.  And that is to watch vintage films instead of newer stuff.  There's just so little worth watching now.

I'm curious to know what kind of editing you do on the old TV shows.  Just taking out commercials or editing for content?

I'm sure Rao would use a different word than "stealing" to describe the wiki.  I think the reasoning at the time was that Fleischer's book was out of print for going on 30 years and looked unlikely to be printed again, with old copies going for insane prices on internet auctions.  So in a way you could argue it was "keeping it before the public."  Or something.  Who could have imagined they'd reprint the thing as they did a year or so ago?  I'm still astonished over that one, albeit in a good  way.

As for threads with "heated disagreement," I can't believe there is such a thing.  Certainly you'd never catch me participating. ;-)

This looks like a job for...
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 01:09:19 AM »

Where do your reviews go up?  I'd be interested in that.  We got Netflix to catch up on recent films, but I find I'm doing with that service what I did with Blockbuster, and cable, etc.  And that is to watch vintage films instead of newer stuff.  There's just so little worth watching now.

I'm curious to know what kind of editing you do on the old TV shows.  Just taking out commercials or editing for content?

I'm sure Rao would use a different word than "stealing" to describe the wiki.  I think the reasoning at the time was that Fleischer's book was out of print for going on 30 years and looked unlikely to be printed again, with old copies going for insane prices on internet auctions.  So in a way you could argue it was "keeping it before the public."  Or something.  Who could have imagined they'd reprint the thing as they did a year or so ago?  I'm still astonished over that one, albeit in a good  way.

As for threads with "heated disagreement," I can't believe there is such a thing.  Certainly you'd never catch me participating. ;-)
Well, it's a complicated story. I logged about 600 reviews at a website called "movietome" once owned by CNET. CBS took over the site and three years later, tore down the site without warning - resulting in all my reviews being completely lost. I've begun to re-write them and now save them to my hard drive, about 100 can be found in a sub-forum called "The Green Dragon" at the website "LibraryThing." I'm particularly interested in both good and bad movies during the silent to talkie transition in the late 20s and early 1930s.

CBS now owns TV.com as well. As an editor, I add episode lists, cast and crew, airdates and trivia, quotes etc. to shows that I am the editor of. I also moderate other user contributions to programs I am editor of. In the case of many 1950s programs - these were never videotaped or filmed so I have to do a lot of searching in newspaper archives etc. or scan for those few episodes that were kinescoped for broadcast on the west coast. Shows like "I Love Lucy", "The Untouchables", or "The Adventures of Superman" are a relative rarity, they were filmed and in almost constant syndication - so they were never lost.

I blame no one for the "copying" of Fleischer's book at "Supermanica"...it's just my opinion. After working on it for a while I sort of had a wish that people would write entries in his "style" rather than just copy his own words.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 04:03:17 AM »

I blame no one for the "copying" of Fleischer's book at "Supermanica"...it's just my opinion. After working on it for a while I sort of had a wish that people would write entries in his "style" rather than just copy his own words.

That's right.

It was a different time. When the Supermanica project started, that book was LONG out of print, it was the only way for fans to read this information. Plus it wasn't just copied it was updated as well. Of course, many entries didn't come from the book. However, DC actually went ahead and reprinted the book, so at that point, well it seem rather pointless for me to keep going with it.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 07:37:45 AM »

I'm just about where you are on the "said all I want to" front.

Might it be a good time to consider my suggestion to you -- that you open up the blog to all of the classic DC characters. By classic, I mean the long-lived, heavy-hitters like Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Batman, Flash, Green Arrow, etc. Even the Legion of Super-Heroes and other Superman offshoots like that.

They have a perfectly legitimate place on a "Confessions of a Superman Fan" blogsite.

If you're losing interest in writing a blog per se, that's a different story...
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 12:40:18 PM »

As an editor, I add episode lists, cast and crew, airdates and trivia, quotes etc. to shows that I am the editor of.

Well, that's reassuring. Whenever I hear someone's an "editor" of a past work I think of things being excised, especially in this shameful era of political correctness (Huck Finn, anyone?).  What you're doing sounds more like "curator" or "archivist," which is awesome.

Might it be a good time to consider my suggestion to you -- that you open up the blog to all of the classic DC characters. By classic, I mean the long-lived, heavy-hitters like Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Batman, Flash, Green Arrow, etc. Even the Legion of Super-Heroes and other Superman offshoots like that.

I'd certainly consider the Legion, which I love.  Wonder Woman I couldn't care less about, unless her bustier is inhabited by Lynda Carter.  The others might be a stretch, if only because I want to eliminate duplication of effort, and Pat Curley's doing a terrific job covering the "Silver Age" in general at his blog.

I guess you could make a case that any title published under the "DC-Superman Comics" bullet is fair game.  It's something to consider.

This looks like a job for...
Lee Semmens
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 08:15:39 AM »

Being back here it's good that I can actually post messages again, something which I have been unable to do for the past few years - despite it telling me I was logged in - although strangely, I could reply on the blog section!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 08:17:10 AM by Lee Semmens » Logged
DoctorZero
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 08:42:12 PM »

I'm a little confused as to what happened to Superman Fan forum?  Server crash, Bondian no longer has his server, or something else?

As for the blog, I've enjoyed reading it.  Perhaps it should be opened up to other characters/books, like the Legion.  It could enable more material to be posted.

I agree.  Posting things on the web is hardly a permanent thing.  Sites can go down for a variety of reasons and never be seen again.

Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011, 05:13:58 AM »

At least my old avatar is still here - 20yh century - 31st cant keep track/  Glad to keep this going despite my uber heavy workload.  have c ouple of days of so I can "water" my time reading great old comics -- ot's like Lightning Lad losing his life and then his arm  or Jimmy's new love is a giantess.

If THAT mad any sense.... Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L