superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:33:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Assalam Alikoum (Hello in Arabic)  (Read 5435 times)
BBally81
Supermen of America

Superfan For All Seasons

« on: February 21, 2011, 01:07:27 AM »

Hey there,

I couldn't find an introduction forum/section so I decided to introduce myself.

I'm an Egyptian and was born in the UK. I've been a Superman fan since I was kid. My introduction were the Christopher Reeve films and my first Superman comic were the early issues of the John Byrne run. Then my family moved to Egypt, where Superman is such an iconic figure, in fact there was an Arabic translated publication of DC comics under the title Superman but also featured stories starring other DC characters like Batman, Green Lantern, the Flash. The publication ran from the late 60's until early 2000's and ran stories from the Golden Age, Silver Age, Bronze Age and Steel/Iron Age, it also ran issues of the 90's comic book tie in to the Superboy TV series and also included some of the Funny comics published by DC.

Now I'm back in the UK after getting my B.A in Media (Cinema) from Egypt (a lot of good that did for me, now I'm stuck working in a snack bar at Heathrow), although I am doing voluntary work thanks to some work placement from the National Autistic Society (yes, I'm autistic) and currently doing one at the library at St. Paul's Cathedral (I'm a muslim by the way), so this might look good on my CV when I try to apply for something better.

Anyway ever since I came to UK, I started buying comic book trades collections mostly Superman I also own the first 4 seasons of the George Reeves series, the first 6 seasons of Smallville, seasons 2 to 4 of Lois and Clark and the Christopher Reeve Superman films (with the 40's animated short as part of that collection) and I have no intention of getting Superman Returns, as bad as Superman 3 and 4 were, they didn't dissappoint me as much as Return.

Okay let's some stuff straight, I don't have a clear favorite era, its mostly between Bronze Age and Modern Age. My least favorite era is the Silver Age, I don't hate it but I'm just not fond of that particular era of Superman for several reasons, one of the main reasons was how they screwed up Lois Lane. I'm not exactly a feminist but the Lois Lane series during the Silver Age was screwed up to the point of being sexist, while Byrne's Lois wasn't perfect, she was at least a more competent character than Silver Age Lois.

And quite frankly I prefer several stories from the Steel Age over many Silver Age stories and by that I mostly mean stories not written by John Bryne, I really like the Gang War arc by Marv Wolfman. I also like The Death of Superman arc, I really love "Funeral For a Friend" as much as "Not A Dream... Not A Hoax, but Real! The Last Days of Superman", now to those who always complain it being a gimmick, there are always gimmicks in comic books and the Silver Age were filled with them, some of them quite embarrasing.

As for Steel Age Superman killing off the Pocket Universe villains, I'm very mixed about it however it lead to a great storyline in "Exile". I believe Sean Hogan at Superman Homepage said it best:

As controversial as Byrne's final story was, it led to some wonderful stories which seriously examined the decision made by Superman.
http://www.supermanhomepage.com/comics/comics.php?topic=special-reports/judge-jury-executioner2

As for Geoff Johns who I noticed got a lot of praise on this board, he writes a great Superman but lame Lex Luthor, my favorite Luthor is the one from the TAS, a combination of both the super genius villain and the sinister businessman. And I'm glad Paul Cornell is setting right with the Luthor character over at Action.

I'm sure I didn't leave a good impression on some people here but hey its my opinion.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 01:14:31 AM by BBally81 » Logged

No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN
BBally81
Supermen of America

Superfan For All Seasons

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 09:31:08 PM »

Also, to mention, there were a lot of MOS I didn't like, such as the Superman/Big Barda being mindcontroled to make an adult film Huh? or ruining the Legion timeline by erasing Clark's past as Superboy, the plan to have no Kara or Krypto, in fact I rank it along with the Silver Age below the Bronze Age and Mercurey Age but I slightly give the Steel Age an edge, mostly because of how much I dislike Silver Age Lois Lane Angry

No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 01:27:11 PM »

Okay let's some stuff straight, I don't have a clear favorite era, its mostly between Bronze Age and Modern Age. My least favorite era is the Silver Age, I don't hate it but I'm just not fond of that particular era of Superman for several reasons, one of the main reasons was how they screwed up Lois Lane. I'm not exactly a feminist but the Lois Lane series during the Silver Age was screwed up to the point of being sexist, while Byrne's Lois wasn't perfect, she was at least a more competent character than Silver Age Lois.

For my money, Lois only really worked in the Golden Age.  She could be cruel to Clark, yes, and pushy and frequently (if not constantly) in need of rescue, but somehow it all worked back then, possibly because she was based on a common "type" in films of the era; the brassy broad with, deep down, a heart of gold; the "tough as nails" gal trying to make it in a man's world by being harder than the men, but in the end she melts for Mr Right.  When I read GA Lois I think of Rosalind Russell in His Girl Friday, and it usually works.

That said, it's no secret I'm not a fan of Lois in any era.  Byrne did nothing to change that, frankly, and if anything she just got more annoying in the 80s.  She also didn't benefit from the "stylish" haircuts that dated the books as soon as they hit the stands, although in that respect she at least fared better than Byrne's Sue Richards.

I also like The Death of Superman arc, I really love "Funeral For a Friend" as much as "Not A Dream... Not A Hoax, but Real! The Last Days of Superman", now to those who always complain it being a gimmick, there are always gimmicks in comic books and the Silver Age were filled with them, some of them quite embarrasing.

The Silver Age was full of gimmicks, and yes a lot of them were lame.  But they were usually over in an issue, not a year or two, and they never involved multiple covers or similar "buy me thrice" foolishness.

I thought The Death of Superman arc was extremely weak, and "Funeral For A Friend" was a waste of time, but I did really enjoy "Reign of the Supermen" for what it was; in fact it's the last time I really looked forward to buying a new Superman title every week.  The ending was kind of "meh," but the rest was well done.  Looking back, I realize the high point of Modern Age Superman for me was this period when Superman was not actually in the books.

As for Steel Age Superman killing off the Pocket Universe villains, I'm very mixed about it however it lead to a great storyline in "Exile".

I suppose there was some merit to what came after, but the killing itself remains unredeemed.  Superman didn't learn anything on his post-killing quests that he shouldn't have already known if he were a true hero.  And while I appreciate the efforts of those who followed Byrne, there's only so much glory to be earned in cleaning up someone else's mess.

I'm sure I didn't leave a good impression on some people here but hey its my opinion.

Though most of us tend to be "of a mind" on many things, these boards have never insisted on "Group Think," so your opinions are welcome and, from where I sit, well presented.  Welcome to STTA...and to the "I Got A Degree For THIS?" Club.  Smiley

This looks like a job for...
BBally81
Supermen of America

Superfan For All Seasons

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 07:10:39 PM »

Thanks for the response, I tend to be the "middleman" in these kinds of discussion.

What I meant by Modern Age, I meant the "Mercurey Age" as coined by the site's founder Great Rao, its basically like the Bronze Age, having the Silver Age elements but toned down, only the current age combines elements from other eras, like in one of the recent Supergirl issues (issue 59), we finally get a closure to the 90's Dan Jurgen story where Cat Grant's son was killed off by Toyman (Thank god DC retconned that Toyman as an android built by Winslow Schott gone beserk, I hope they got rid off the supposive pedo-Toyman angle Tongue)

The part of the Silver Age Superman era I actually geniully like were the stories published near the end of that era, I also enjoyed the Superboy series as well as the Legion of Superheroes stories. Of course that era also featured the debut of Brainiac, who would later become one of Superman's greatest enemies. I also have a soft spot for Supergirl and Krypto (also the Supergirl series didn't really get good until the Bronze Age), I also like Bizarro.

I guess I might put Silver Age and Steel Age on equal terms (still don't know where to put Golden Age since I didn't read much stories from that era)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 07:25:07 PM by BBally81 » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L