superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonComing MIRACLE MONDAY 2017!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 11:37:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2011 update  (Read 8104 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« on: April 05, 2011, 10:43:50 PM »

A follow-up to the recent 2010 update - today I received the final inked and colored page 26 and have just begun the lettering.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 04:07:47 PM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 08:01:34 AM »

Hooray!  I look forward to seeing the completed page.  Thanks for continuing this project.

DTO
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 08:06:15 PM »

As part of the update to the K-Metal site, I'll be going through the pages one-by-one and restoring all of the colors to their non-newsprint versions, as originally done by Sarge.  I just uploaded the "new" version of page one, I'll be ending on the all-new, never-before seen, page 26.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 12:25:03 PM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
binarysunrise
Superman Family

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 01:09:24 AM »

As part of the update to the K-Metal site, I'll be going through the pages one-by-one and restoring all of the colors to their non-newsprint versions, as originally done by Sarge.  I just uploaded the "new" version of page one, I'll be ending on the all-new, never-before seen, page 26.

Why, why, why are you changing it back to stark white?? The newsprint versions looked amazing!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 12:25:34 PM by Great Rao » Logged

The Speeding Bullet
   http://www.thespeedingbullet.com
--an archive of Superman newspaper strips--
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 02:40:07 AM »

Why, why, why are you changing it back to stark white?? The newsprint versions looked amazing!

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it!

A few reasons:

1 - I'd recently read comments on some of the forums where people said that they didn't like the newsprint effect because it muddied up the excellent artwork;

2 - I felt it was disrespectful to the artists and colorist to, in effect, hide their work;

3 - After making the change back to the unaltered pages, I felt it was an improvement - my preference had apparently changed in the intervening years;

But the main reason was:

4 - In all the time that has passed between the previous update(s) and receiving page 26 (along with a promise of more pages to follow), I had forgotten how exactly I did the effect.  It was somewhat tricky and time consuming, with certain steps done in specific order with specific settings, having to break out colors and inks and dialogues into separate layers if they weren't already (some pages are and some aren't; but Sarge colors flat, without layers, right up against the inks), and my notes long gone.   I wanted the new pages and the old pages to match, and I didn't want to go through backwards-engineering the process for the new pages, so I just removed it from the old ones.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 03:10:41 AM by Great Rao » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L