superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonFREE WEB E-MAIL!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:29:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman is giving up his American citizenship .. ?  (Read 29479 times)
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« on: May 02, 2011, 11:04:04 AM »

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andrewbolt/index.php/heraldsun/comments/superman_goes_all_obama/

Huh?

If Superman's not American, he's not Superman.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 03:17:04 PM »

I actually picked up Action 900 based on this news story.  The issue is a collection of tales by various writer/artist teams, and the entire book is excellent.

I'm puzzled as to when Superman ever became an American Citizen, though.  I know that Clark is, but Superman?  Does this mean he doesn't pay his income tax anymore or something?  Just doesn't really make sense to me.  And is Clark still a citizen? Do the Feds know that Clark and Superman are one-and-the-same?  The whole thing just doesn't make sense, but within the story it works on a symbolic level.  In the words of Superman, "... which is why I intend to speak to the United Nations tomorrow and inform them that I am renouncing my U.S. citizenship -- I'm tired of having my actions construed as instruments of U.S. policy. 'Truth, justice, and the American Way' -- it's not enough anymore.  The world's too small. Too connected."

The world is definitely changing, and I think it's worth exploring where Superman fits in such a world as it changes.

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 04:18:44 PM »

Whatever politics are or aren't behind this move, it's still just as stupid.

There's no way Superman has American citizenship in the first place, because for all intents and purposes he is not a real person, even in his own Universe.  He is a suit and cape; he doesn't have a birth certificate (get on that, will you, Donald?), a social security number or a mailing address, he doesn't pay taxes, is not registered with Selective Service, etc.  And lacking all those things, he cannot logically have a bank account, credit cards, a mortgage or lease, a checking or savings account or even PayPal.  Superman does not exist in the eyes of the government as he pays no taxes, earns no income and cannot possibly vote. 

Clark Kent has all those things, and thus he has citizenship.  But he's not talking about giving that up, he's talking about giving up a *second* citizenship he somehow claims to possess because of a change of clothes.  This makes as much sense as a Disneyland employee gaining a second citizenship during the periods he's in the Donald Duck suit.

This is just another example of how, just as soon as you try to introduce "realism" to comics, the whole thing comes crashing down like the house of cards it is. 

This looks like a job for...
carmine
Superman Family

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 02:24:21 AM »

Superman did pay taxes!!
he owed a million in back taxes at least twice

The entire "story" was lame anyways (even disregarding the whole citizenship thing)

Superman just stands there? I miss it back when Superman would trick bad guys into giving up
India Ink
Superman Squad

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 02:53:31 PM »

I wondered when someone would get around to posting about the 900th issue of Action Comics--an historic event that should be recognized by Superman Thru the Ages--it's just unfortunate that, like everywhere else it seems, the attention is given to the "controversy" about one nine page story, rather than the over all issue and what that issue represents in comics history and Superman history.

In case you missed it, this issue represents the return of Superman in a starring role in Action Comics (the comic he single-handedly has made a success for all these years), after being denied that feature status for over two years!!!

As far as that one story goes, I think it's just David Goyer considering some ideas he has about Superman. Maybe these ideas will appear in a Superman movie. But I like the concept that Superman is an invisible visible. I think that is a theme we have seen in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. And the extra-ordinary status of Batman allowed him to bring in a criminal from Chinese sovereign territory--violating all kinds of international agreements. So if Bruce Wayne, with his high-tech gadgets, can pull that off--just think what Superman can do with his extra-human abilities.

Rather than the citizen question per se, I would like to see a movie develop that idea of Superman as a presence in the world, but one that no ordinary mortal can quite grasp. The struggle in the mind of a mere human being to actually perceive Superman--who defies human perception--would be something to explore. It would also make clear the difference between Clark and Superman.

India Ink
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 03:09:10 AM »

This is just another example of how, just as soon as you try to introduce "realism" to comics, the whole thing comes crashing down like the house of cards it is. 

Writers used to create allegories for real world problems that fit the mold of the fictional sandbox they played in. Now, they are too lazy to do so and the real world problem makes no bloody sense within the context of the fictional universe.

On another note, Superman was potrayed as a wuss once again. Taking a hippie approach to an oppressive regime? Yawn. I want the Superman from the 80's that had no problem removing despots from power after reducing their armed forces to rubble back. That Superman had gall. What's the Goyer-written Superman in the upcoming movie going to do against Zod? Send in some flower children to negotiate with the General? Maybe sing kumbaya and hope the madman comes to his senses? Weak.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 03:17:28 AM »

In case you missed it, this issue represents the return of Superman in a starring role in Action Comics (the comic he single-handedly has made a success for all these years), after being denied that feature status for over two years!!!
]

And that's an achievement?  Was it an achievement when he ditched the mullet and got a decent haircut?  Is undoing bad ideas now the same thing as having a good one?

Anyway, I'm just reacting to the news as posted all over the internet.  I freely admit I haven't read the book (in years) and don't plan to.  Maybe it's written wonderfully, but the fact remains Superman cannot have citizenship anywhere, so the whole thing is a non-issue.

This looks like a job for...
India Ink
Superman Squad

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 02:57:38 PM »

I was trying to give some indication as to why Action Comics 900 would be a noteworthy issue--something deserving of greater comment--beyond the nine page story called "The Incident" written by David Goyer.

I thought it would be condescending, here, to go into a full explanation of the significance of Action Comics and its 900th issue. Great Rao, Aldous, Nightwing could all do a better job of that than I.

So it seemed curious to me that such a significant issue would only be marked because of that one story. Sure, it's gotten a lot of play by bloggers on the internet--but one doesn't expect them to be knowledgeable and considerate. Whereas, I have that expectation of the posters on the Superman through the Ages message board.

Is my trust in this board misplaced?

Granted this wasn't the best celebration of Action Comics 900 that I could have imagined. A text piece about the history of the comic would have been nice. A few guest turns from characters that have been featured in the book's past would have been excellent. But the stories that were in the book were so many and varied in their vision of Superman and his world that I wasn't entirely disappointed in the comic.

I liked a few of the Jerry Siegel and E. Nelso Bridwell style moments in the mag. Fabulous tales of Krypton, encounters with strange aliens, legends of the Legion of house guests. And I do think "The Evolution of the Man of Tomorrow" two page spread by Brian Stellfreeze was pretty darn cool--perhaps something worthy of the Superman through the Ages site (hint hint).
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 03:02:51 PM by India Ink » Logged

India Ink
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L