superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes Newton<Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 09:35:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman is giving up his American citizenship .. ?  (Read 29701 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2011, 09:11:14 PM »

But that image by Stellfreeze really made me think of this site.

I don't know, I don't really see any similarity.

http://superman.nu/Costumes/S.php

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
BBally81
Supermen of America

Superfan For All Seasons

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2011, 11:25:25 PM »

Where did DC say this?

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/luffycapri/news/?a=36606

Will you include the Legion story from Action 900?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 11:26:56 PM by BBally81 » Logged

No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN
India Ink
Superman Squad

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2011, 12:42:39 AM »

Thanks for putting those up, GR.

India Ink
carmine
Superman Family

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2011, 02:04:56 AM »

I liked that Stellfreeze drawing...but what? No Wayne Boring version??? come on.

i don't expect EVERY version but wayne was a big superman artist

bigger then Jim Lee (I think thats suppose to be jim lee anyways)

Anyways
as far as the citizenship story goes...it was boring and poorly written and made no sense. So since it made no sense inside the story I can only assume it was the writer trying to make some silly point.
People claim it doesnt count...it was only 9 pages (the best superman stories are NINE PAGES though)
if its suppose to be a "what if" they END it right when it would be interesting. the "what if" takes place at the end of the story?
it would be like Aunt May getting bitten by a radioactive spider instead of pete but it doesn't happen until the last page and the previous 30 pages was just pete and auntie talking and talking and talking

nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2011, 02:22:21 AM »

Yes, thanks for posting the story, GR.  Obviously people are missing the whole point of it, but I still maintain that (1) Superman has no citizenship to renounce and (2) any attempts to put Superman in the real world are ill-advised and sure to fail.  As it does here.

The Stelfreeze image is nice, but not a "Stelfreeze Superman" so much as a "Stelfreeze aping Shuster, Swan, Byrne, Grummet, Lee and Frank Superman," which wouldn't have been worth my money.  Two things come to mind viewing it, though: first, isn't it weird to see a "history of Superman" image where Byrne's version is so close to the beginning (makes me feel OLLLLLD) and second, in "evolution" charts, isn't the caveman supposed to come at the beginning, not the middle?

BTW, I did make it to FCBD but forgot to look for the book.  Too much excitement as the kds grabbed up Gottfredson Mickey Mouse, Barks Uncle Scrooge and assorted other goodies.  For my part, I got the "Mis-Adventures of Adam West," which was...interesting, anyway, but the flip side was a literally hellish thing that looked like Hieronymus Bosch meets George Romero, so it went in the garbage (maybe a first for me).  On the up side, we're supposed to be getting an 8-inch Adam West action figure out of this series, so keep your eyes peeled.

The kids also got free sketches from a fun artist named Jamie Cosley (http://www.jamiecosley.com): a Spidey and and Iron Man (darned kids and their Marvel!).  My 2-year-old daughter refused to ask for a sketch and contented herself with flirting with the artist.  Gotta keep an eye on that girl; comic book artists are a seedy lot!

This looks like a job for...
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2011, 04:15:27 AM »

I don't quite see how DC's 'official' statement of "This short story is just that, it will not be followed up upon. Superman will remain as American as Apple pie" equates to a decree of "non-canonical" or "what-if" status, as the article claims.  I mean, does Apple pie even have U.S. citizenship?  Sounds like a meaningless statement intended to appease the nattering nabobs.

Will you include the Legion story from Action 900?

Dunno yet.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 02:59:07 PM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
India Ink
Superman Squad

« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2011, 08:16:29 PM »

I regard "The Incident" as being like that one episode of the West Wing where they tried to address 9/11. It didn't really fit with the rest of the show, and it's probably best not to try to make sense of it.

If you need to make sense of it then I suggest it was a prank that Obama and Superman hatched up between them to play on Gabriel Wright.

Two seconds after the end of this, Barack comes out from behind the trees laughing. At first Garbriel is miffed, but then he joins in the laughter. It was all in good fun.

India Ink
BBally81
Supermen of America

Superfan For All Seasons

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2011, 04:26:41 AM »

I don't quite see how DC's 'official' statement of "This short story is just that, it will not be followed up upon. Superman will remain as American as Apple pie" equates to a decree of "non-canonical" or "what-if" status, as the article claims.  I mean, does Apple pie even have U.S. citizenship?  Sounds like a meaningless statement intended to appease the nattering nabobs.

For what's its worth, in the end of Superman 711, Superman basically makes a speech on why the America ideal is special.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 03:13:57 PM by BBally81 » Logged

No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L