superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE AUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:31:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DC Revamp  (Read 54925 times)
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« on: June 01, 2011, 06:21:21 AM »

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/dc-comics-revamp-retailer-letter-110531.html

Story at link. Basically, everything is being rebooted, 50 or so titles getting new #1 issue, and includes both Superman books after Flashpoint. Retcon Johns and Jim Lee to work on the JLA revamp. Look foward to massive delays on that one.

This makes what? At least 8 revamps of Superman in as many years?
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 01:27:09 PM »

Basically, everything is being rebooted, 50 or so titles getting new #1 issue,

Because if your problem is that fewer and fewer people are willing to spend $2.99 and up for your comics, asking them to spend $150 to start over again will solve all your problems.

and includes both Superman books after Flashpoint.

Everybody look at us!  We've reached number 900 with Action Comics, the Grand Old Dame of American Comics!  Aren't we great? Woo-hoo! Yeh, and by the way we're rebooting with a new #1.

From the link:

with some character variations in appearance, origin and age.

All determined, no doubt, after careful consideration of what would be best for the characters and remain most true to their original vision.

Translation: our lawyers have told us just how much we need to change to get out of paying the Siegels anything.

All stories will be grounded in each character's legend

...because we specialize in re-tellings, not new ideas.

but will relate to real world situations, interactions, tragedy and triumph.

Because nothing says "real world" like running around in spandex and capes, and shooting laser beams out of your eyes.  Also, as we all know, the key to creating timeless characters is to root them firmly in the headlines and trends of the moment.  That's why the Latino break-dancing hero "Vibe" is still one our greatest triumphs.

DC Letter To Retailers, Short Version:

As of September, you're officially screwed.  Depending on your lease, you may want to consider not re-signing.  As for the rest of you, might we recommend converting your shop into a pet store?

This looks like a job for...
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 03:21:39 PM »

It was the next natural step - they'd gotten Superman back to where he was before Crisis - then comes a reboot.

I'll be interested in the new costume, though.  No red trunks, new boots.  It might work for the new century, we'll see how long it lasts.  It's possible all the new costume designs are to make them more Hollywood-blockbuster friendly; they all have a molded, 3-d appearance, like from the Batman and X-Men films.  I also suspect that Wizard's "Ultimate Superman" proposal generated some interest in a revamped Superman costume (note the similar collars) - but in general it was a very popular idea.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/05/31/flashpost-the-new-superman/

In Superman #1, launching in September, we will see what appears to be a new uniform for Superman. Based on the usual style, but more segmented with scores, seams or raised lines running across and around his arms, legs and torso. Kneepads as part of a segmented bulky boot. And a belt that reflects the Superman shield shape. And involvement in some form by George Perez. I’m also told Rags Morales may be involved with Action Comics #1.

And moreover, I’m also told Superman appears younger than we’ve seen him of late, almost Superboyish. Ultimate Superman?

I don't know how accurate these designs from bleeding-cool are; the belt doesn't match that given in DC's officially released picture.

More info on the reboot there:
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/05/31/flashpost-dc-confirms-full-reboot-september-brings-52-first-issues-and-day-and-date-digital/
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 03:34:02 PM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 04:02:55 PM »

CBR's article on the September reboot - http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=32566 - states that there will be "A new title starring Superman written by Grant Morrison."  No info on whether or not Action and Detective will start over at number 1 or will continue with the current numbering.

I don't plan to follow the reboot in general; but I will continue reading Superman, Action, and also pick-up Grant's new title - even if it's called Adventures of Superman.

I think the fact that Geoff Johns is running "DC Entertainment's" (formerly "DC Comics'"?)  creative office and is a co-producer on the new Green Lantern film explains why this is happening.

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 10:32:28 PM »

I'd say there's two reasons:

1) to make it easier for the movie to go with a new look (this might even be it...photos of Cavill in costume should be in our near future)

2) to distance the character from his origins at the hands of Siegel and Shuster.  Note the announcement that some characters will have their origins re-done, this time I'm guessing more than cosmetically.  I think we are seeing the first steps toward separating Superman into two entities: one controlled by DC and the other by the Siegel heirs.

Either way, as always, I'll leave it to you guys to let me know how it goes.  If it's decent, I may pick up a trade in a year or so.  Or not.

carmine
Superman Family

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 12:24:18 AM »

how much money did jim lee get to give all the DC Heroes V neck collars?

I like Jim Lee...he isn't a great character designer

anyways, who cares? Superman hasn't been good in 20 years (some bright spots here and there of course)

I'll check out Morrison's superman

also as far as "everything going back to issue 1" I'd expect it to last less then a year and everything goes back to original numbering...that is unless this is a "one month" type of deal
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 11:21:22 AM »

In a way, I approve.  If they're not going to write the character so I can recognize him, then they may as well draw him differently, too.

What gets me, though, is the marketing strategy; does DC really believe the thing that's keeping readers away is the numbering on the books?  Or the desire of readers to "start at the beginning" instead of wading through tons of continuity?  Because they don't have a continuity that extends back more than three or four years and haven't for decades, thanks to the continual reboots, so I can't imagine that being a major hurdle.  No, what's keeping potential "new readers" away is more devastating; plain old-fashioned indifference.  Numbering and reboots aren't going to change that.  The general public just isn't interested in traditional-format comics any more (by which I mean monthly floppies).

DC and Marvel  have painted themselves into a corner by catering increasingly to an ever-shrinking niche audience, and IMHO they're too far gone now to reverse that.   Their main (possibly only) audience is 30-somethings and up who, I'm betting, won't take kindly to a wholesale reboot of books they've invested years in, and even if they do hang around it won't be in any greater numbers than DC is seeing right now.

We can also be forgiven for viewing all this with a healthy dose of skepticism, considering how much DC has invested in the traditional images of their characters.  It's hard to imagine all those school supplies, underwear, sneakers, bed sheets, lunch boxes and assorted toys suddenly dropping the "old school" look for Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman in favor of this new stuff. Because the old look is what Mom and Dad recognize and will shell out money for.  So we're back where we started with two versions of every character: (1) the one 95% of the world knows from merchandising and media and (2) the "official" one known only to that small segment of the world that reads new comics.

I think it's entirely possible -- if not dead certain -- that in a year's time the whole thing will have been reversed, making this DC's version of Marvel's old "Heroes Reborn" debacle.

Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 06:57:47 PM »

There was a recent article in The New York Times explaining DC's upcoming reboot by trying to explain 1986's Crisis on Infinite Earths to mainstream readers.

I didn't read the article, but I see an incredibly similar problem:  Back in 1986, DC claimed that their books were too staid and boring; the multiverse too confusing; the old continuity too arcane and limiting.  So they did Crisis to clear everything out, then gave Byrne the chance to do a complete reboot with a goal of streamlining, simplifying, and updating for modern readers.  DC went out of their way to say that all that old stuff (Krypto, Kandor, various colors of Kryptonite, etc) was garbage, that it never happened, and that it was being thrown away and ignored.  They said this on TV and in newspapers.

Yet two years later, 1988, was the Fiftieth Anniversary of Superman's first appearance in Action Comics #1.

(The link is to my edited version of the article, Time Magazine's original version as published is here)

The media was trying to celebrate Superman's extensive history and legacy, at the same time that DC was trying to deny it.

Now in 2011, after the introduction of a Multiverse, we've got a Superman reboot - as part of a complete DCU reboot - happening in a couple of months.  Yet in two years - 2013 - it will be the Seventy-Fifth Anniversary of Superman's first public appearance.  How will DC respond to a 75th anniversary celebration, given that they just did a reboot?

I'll be curious to see what they do.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L