superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonLois & Clark: The Ghost of Superman FutureHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:50:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DC Revamp  (Read 56038 times)
Lee Semmens
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 09:30:44 AM »

But I have to say that there were some pretty big changes in the 50s, 60s ...and to my chagrin (because I didn't like them), the 70s..

Why is that, MEL?

Although I am a big fan of fan of Superman in the 1960s, I am an even bigger fan of his in the 1970s, especially when Murphy Anderson was inking Curt Swan's pencils.
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2011, 11:47:33 AM »

Yes, from '71 up to late-70s......... A great period. He's never again reached those heights. That's the zenith of Superman in comics for me.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2011, 03:00:15 PM »

The 70s were not a zenith for me. I disliked the seriousness of the stories and more backstory than I wanted for a comic hero.

But that's just me. The point is that people create comics and that they do change - often to hold on to sales in the face of competition. We're just at a point where it's no longer working in print media - Superman selling a tiny fraction of what it did in the late 60s.
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2011, 09:34:04 PM »

They were the modern comics (contemporary) when I was a little kid, so that's what had an effect on me... (although I was reading a lot of Silver Age Superman as well, which I love).

I think the other factor that gives 70s the edge for me -- Lee already touched on it -- is the art. Swan - Anderson - Oksner.......... Superman and his supporting cast just never looked so darned good. The art in this period has never been equalled.

Have a look at the opening comics to Sand-Superman Saga then compare with Byrne or any other later period. The masters were at work in the period I mention, '71 to late-ish 70s.
India Ink
Superman Squad

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2011, 04:01:55 AM »

But they never had to reboot Superman to make those changes. Heck, even Electric Superman was done without a reboot.

If you want to tell a different kind of story, you just have to go ahead and tell a different kind of story. But you shouldn't have to eliminate every other comic that came before just to do that.

India Ink
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2011, 01:00:02 PM »

Agreed.  They can't see the trees for the forest.

DC: "We need more people to buy our books.  The problem is there's too much history piled on and it makes it hard for new readers to get into them.  We need a fresh start; change Superman's costume and origin, make him younger with a Justin Bieber haircut, and start over with a new #1."

POTENTIAL NEW READERS:  "What is that?  It says 'Superman' but it sure doesn't look like him.  Pass."

This looks like a job for...
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2011, 05:15:01 PM »

Agreed.  They can't see the trees for the forest.

DC: "We need more people to buy our books.  The problem is there's too much history piled on and it makes it hard for new readers to get into them.  We need a fresh start; change Superman's costume and origin, make him younger with a Justin Bieber haircut, and start over with a new #1."

POTENTIAL NEW READERS:  "What is that?  It says 'Superman' but it sure doesn't look like him.  Pass."

The above plus the $3 price point is going to be a hard sell for any new reader. They need to at least drop the price of the digital additions to $1.99. It just doesn't make sense to price the digital titles the same as the print ones.

Especially in this day and age of mobile apps. A person can get a longer experience from a $2.99 game app than they would from a comic priced the same.

MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2011, 11:46:14 PM »

Even Julian might remember that I thought the original Crisis was clever. Poorly done, but clever. DC was universe "happy" - to the point of creating a unverse of "real life" (Earth Prime) and then not even resisting the temptation to make THAT universe different (its own heros and alternate timeline).

I do have to say that while I can't argue that Swan was at his greatest in the Bronze Age, making Clark a TV reporter, having stories of him at his apartment, tossing in a "relevant" Lois and Lombard, Olsen "Man of Action", and making Superman some sort of intergalactic force of destiny was almost like a "reboot" to me. Exciting to some, but it just didn't appeal to me. I was not recognizing him.

It's funny, I bought the "Sandman" saga and the next issue after - and never bought another Superman comic since.

It was fun catching up on the 70s storylines to work on "Supermanica" - but nothing makes me like them like the simpler, self-contained stories of the 60s.

I kept reading DC, I just re-read my brother's comics from 1959 - 1968, and my own from 1968-1971 over and over.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L