superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:41:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DC Revamp  (Read 56071 times)
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2011, 11:51:11 PM »

About that high V-collar: note a number of the other characters will sport them, as well.  i know I saw them on Aquaman and GL, at least.  So either Jim Lee just lacks imagination, or there's going to be some sort of tie between these characters.  Maybe it's as simple as a way to say "JLA" (the way X-Men costumes used to be united by the inclusion of an "X" somewhere in the otherwise unique designs), or maybe all the origins of the new heroes will be linked in some way?

Anyway, the most jarring thing for Superman is that haircut, which lies somewhere between Justin Bieber and Moe Howard.  And there seems to be a deliberate attempt to make him younger than the other heroes, which is a real head-scratcher.

This looks like a job for...
India Ink
Superman Squad

« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2011, 02:16:19 AM »

You'll notice that Ryan Reynolds has that kind of collar in the Green Lantern movie. I much prefer the classic collar on GL, but I guess it was impractical for the movie (but wasn't the whole costume done with CGI?).

So probably Lee saw that and decided to incorporate it into his designs.

India Ink
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2011, 03:17:59 AM »

Anyway, the most jarring thing for Superman is that haircut, which lies somewhere between Justin Bieber and Moe Howard.  And there seems to be a deliberate attempt to make him younger than the other heroes, which is a real head-scratcher.

Turns out that Superman #1 cover mock-up that I posted was a fan-created image that I fell for.  The only official images released by DC are these covers to Action, Superman, and JLA:

So there may not be as much of an "armor" effect as in the fan image; and the bad haircut is just Lee's style.

As far as the high V collar, I think they're trying to say that it's the new Superhero outfit standard - just like back in the 70s, a snug body-stocking was the Superhero outfit standard.  I think the real reason is that Jim Lee likes them and he's now the co-publisher of DC.

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2011, 03:42:42 AM »

You may be right about the collar.  One thing that stays true in any "age" is that everyone tries hard to look like everyone else until the next trend comes along. 

Also reassuring about the haircut; Perez' version is a lot better, even if it does look like his Dick Grayson.  But this makes two images so far that show Superman looking to be in his late teens/early 20s (with Lee that may be accidental, but Perez can draw kids and grown-ups, and has chosen the former here).  So it looks like the rumors are true he'll be extra young for some reason.

Perez' image sure looks like armor to me, and needlessly elaborate armor at that.  I always have to wonder why artists do redesigns that are more complicated, instead of less so.  You'd think they'd realize whatever they come up with, they'll have to draw about 100 times each issue.  That's another reason the old costume worked so well; it was simple.

Just had a thought!  Notice your list of stuff the Siegels "own" includes "ability to repel bullets."  Suddenly the armor becomes essential, after all, eh?  A Superman without invulnerability?  That'll take some getting used to.  Plus it's the end of another signature image: the bullets bouncing off the chest gimmick.  Of course he could always melt the bullets with those ever-present red eyes.  Maybe the new Superman's weakness will be Visine.

I keep coming back to the "Lois" thing, though.  You've got to think they'd work out some sort of arrangement with the Siegels over that.  Especially since they've cast the part already for the new film.  Even if I could gladly do without her, for most people "Lois Lane" is as big a part of Superman as the red cape. 

India Ink
Superman Squad

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2011, 12:08:45 PM »

The first image with the T-shirt and pants looks much more like Superman to me than the other images.

Perez needs to give him the spit curl. And they need to quit it with the red eyes. This whole robotic look does not say Superman.

Really I think it's some kind of Kryptonian technology and not a real human being.

India Ink
DoctorZero
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2011, 01:43:10 AM »

I'll throw in my own 2 cents and theories about the Superman revamp.

1)  Since the eyes are red in both pictures I suspect his eyes are always red naturally and the glasses make them look normal somehow, hence a reason for the glasses disguise and people not suspecting Clark is Superman.  Note that Warner's owns the vision powers.

2)  From what I've read Warners has trademarked Superman, Clark Kent and Lois Lane.  Hence, they can legally call characters by those names as long as they aren't the same as the ones "owned" by the Siegels. I have a feel the jobs and relationships will change for Kent and Lois, making them "different" characters.  DC was able to publish the original Captain Marvel and Marvel their own version of Captain Marvel, due Marvel trademarked the name.  As a result, DC couldn't call the original Capt. "Captain Marvel" on the cover.  They had to remove "The Original Captain Marvel" from the Shazam covers as a result.   

3)  The Shuster Estate doesn't "own" anything right now.  They have filed for copyright termination but some people say the estate doesn't fit the legal definition of "heirs", hence it's not a given that they will reclaim the other half of the copyright.

4)  Nightwing mentioned the armor.  I also thought that his armor was due to him not being invulnerable now.  Again, thought, how many characters can repel bullets and are "invulnerable"? 

I still feel there's a strong possibility that DC will remove aspects of the character the Siegels own, as a way of forcing them to the table and negotiating a settlement.

Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2011, 03:01:47 AM »

Also - in the three covers that DC has released (Action, Superman, JLA; shown above), Superman is sporting the flat, 2-dimensional old-school traditional "S" logo (complete with thick black lines between the red and the yellow) that DC has trademarked since 1944.  Warner Brothers is even using this version of the S in their promotional material for the upcoming Superman film.

Hopefully no more messing with the S - no more sculpted 3-D S like was in the fan drawing, the Bryan Singer film, or even in some of the recent comics. That, Nightwing, is why I thought that the fan drawing looked more sculpted than the Pérez drawing - it had the sculpted S whereas Pérez's cover doesn't.

I think DC/WB realizes that they need to hang on to the elements of Superman that they still have and use them.  At least that means we might get the real S in the new comics and films.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 03:45:51 AM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2011, 01:19:51 PM »

Well, the author of that link isn't totally sure the image is related to Man of Steel (and considering there's an image of Aquaman right under it, I'm not either), but you're certainly right that DC needs to exploit what is one of the most recognized logos in the history of civilization.  Especially if the Siegels have no claim to it.  I'd say it's one of the biggest weapons in DC's arsenal at the moment.  Just think of all the school supplies, t-shirts and other merchandise that's sold with no image of the character on it, just that logo.  They don't have to put "Superman" on the label because there isn't a person in the world who won't know what the symbol means.  And there'd be no reason to give a cent in royalty to the heirs.

Conversely, if (which I doubt, but who knows) the family ever decides to launch their own version of the character, they'd be immediately at a disadvantage trying to promote him with an alternate logo...even if they go with the "original", which far fewer people know and anyway wasn't nailed down for a long time.

On the other hand, this would mean the end of "Golden Age" action figures, statues and other merchandise from DC that blurs the line between versions.  And it may even mean an end to action figures with the "red trunks" traditional look, unless the two sides can agree on a split of profits. 

Now it's beginning to make sense to me (I know I'm slow) why DC is pushing so hard to get Man of Steel in theaters at the expense of other characters who've never been adapted.  The money spent on marketing a film, the media exposure from interviews and reviews, and the flood of tie-in merchandise will go a long way to disseminating images of the "new" Superman to the world, reaching a far bigger audience than would hear -- or care -- about comic book changes.  I'm betting "Lee's" design is going to end up pretty close to what we see in the film.  At least it will if they have any sense at all.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L