superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:00:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DC Revamp  (Read 56042 times)
India Ink
Superman Squad

« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2011, 03:33:31 PM »

But the new Superman that's been shown doesn't have the classic S. They've taken off the bubble on the tail, which was always one of the most distinctive things about the S. It should look like this--

India Ink
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2011, 05:12:40 PM »

You're right, I stand corrected.  I hadn't noticed that.

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Adekis
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2011, 11:00:13 PM »

That's sort of funny... when I first saw that in the Justice League picture, I assumed it was just Lee's style of drawing the S, something he's never done very well. But now it's clear that Perez has that same altered S.

Funny though, in Morrison's, he's still got the bump on the end of the S. Hopefully that means that the other two are just an art bump that'll go away soon. Still, I think it's a small enough difference that I wouldn't probably notice.

Also: very happy that the picture you posted was a fake, Rao. Perez' version really does look less like armor.
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2011, 09:19:07 AM »

On another topic, I really hope this legal battle thing is ended decisively. I don't think people deserve to own any part of Superman when none of them have ever had part in his creation or adventures, ever.
On a more basic level, I don't want to lose Lois, locomotives, single bounds, and bullets that bounce off his chest! Though I must admit, I don't think Superman's ever worn anything than can described as a leotard. And it could be worse. I heard they own Clark Kent. I really hope you're right and they don't though, to me he's the balancing factor all of Superman's awesomeness.

I love the character and the mythos of Superman, but I think the character should be public domain. I have never been a fan of these blasted copyright extensions and never will. These laws pay lip service by being in compliance with the wording of the US Constitution, but they very much violate the spirit of it.

The life of the creator plus 70 years may as well be a perpetual copyright as all of us are concerned.
Last Son
Superman Fan

« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2011, 01:09:45 PM »

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/dc-comics-revamp-retailer-letter-110531.html

Story at link. Basically, everything is being rebooted, 50 or so titles getting new #1 issue, and includes both Superman books after Flashpoint. Retcon Johns and Jim Lee to work on the JLA revamp. Look foward to massive delays on that one.

This makes what? At least 8 revamps of Superman in as many years?

Probably. It's a shame, really. Not so much because of the current continuity, because that is a mess anyway. The post-Crisis DCU had run out of steam by 1999.

And not so much because of the current, toxic comics, which aren't "all ages", family-oriented anymore-- you can't give them your children to read: they're full of sex, horror, nihilism, gore, profanity and blasphemy. Good riddance to bad rubbish. No great "loss" here at all.

No, the shameful thing really is that they restart the numbers at #1-- even ACTION COMICS and DETECTIVE COMICS. So much for comic book history. Didn't they learn anything from the mistakes Marvel Comics made with HEROES REBORN in the Nineties? Now DC too wants to restart their core-books and "Image-initze" them?
India Ink
Superman Squad

« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2011, 01:37:02 PM »

I'm really saddened by the re-numbering.

As far as Superman goes, they never give him a chance to be Superman. There's always some big high concept idea being thrown in the way of Superman doing the thing that he used to always do--be a super-hero.

As long as editors keep monkeying with Superman and don't let him have his stories, they're never going to restore him to the place he should be. Reboots aren't going to fix that.

The problem isn't with Superman--it's with the people who publish him.

India Ink
Last Son
Superman Fan

« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2011, 02:27:06 PM »

I'm really saddened by the re-numbering.

Me too. It's short-sighted and stupid. It's obscene. Why can't they simply use the existing numbering on its old place, but add a "new" re-numbering (starting "#1" onwards on a place at the right side of the cover? So new readers could tell that those are issues of the "new" Superman et all, yet we "older" readers would get to keep our comic-book history.

Man. Just imagine. A book series that was continuously published for almost 100 years will be canceled and relaunched, starting with #1-- and why? Just because they hope it will sell a couple thousand exemplars more than it does currently. Never mind the fact that that same strategy failed almost 20 years ago by an even more successful comic publisher.

It's so wrong. ACTION COMICS and DETECTIVE COMICS are an important cornerstone of American history, culture and heritage: they originated the super-hero genre, they launched the original comic book medium in America (Disney and the rest came later, if I remember right), they kept the comic book medium in existence past the late Seventies (and thusly, encouraged kids to read "real books" in a world where TV was quickly becoming the national hobby) and alongside Disney, the Movies and the Loony Toons, introduced people around the whole world to American culture.

And now it will all be thrown away as if so much trash. Because it isn't "contemporary" enough.

As far as Superman goes, they never give him a chance to be Superman. There's always some big high concept idea being thrown in the way of Superman doing the thing that he used to always do--be a super-hero.

As long as editors keep monkeying with Superman and don't let him have his stories, they're never going to restore him to the place he should be. Reboots aren't going to fix that.

The problem isn't with Superman--it's with the people who publish him.

True. Cary Bates could create at a moment's notice new concepts that nonetheless could fit seamlessly within the frameworks of whatever series he worked at the time -- but none of the current crop of creators seems to be able to do that. They only can either endlessly recycle old concepts-- or they need to reboot the whole thing, to get "room" to introduce "new" things.

So rather than use the writers who proved their creativity and their ability to work with characters as powerful, complex and near-mythical as Superman for 15-20 years at a time, they want to use "star creators"-- the people who aren't very creative but can work to the media. Typical. And people keep wondering why comics as a medium is fading.
Adekis
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2011, 11:16:43 PM »

On another topic, I really hope this legal battle thing is ended decisively. I don't think people deserve to own any part of Superman when none of them have ever had part in his creation or adventures, ever.
On a more basic level, I don't want to lose Lois, locomotives, single bounds, and bullets that bounce off his chest! Though I must admit, I don't think Superman's ever worn anything than can described as a leotard. And it could be worse. I heard they own Clark Kent. I really hope you're right and they don't though, to me he's the balancing factor all of Superman's awesomeness.

I love the character and the mythos of Superman, but I think the character should be public domain. I have never been a fan of these blasted copyright extensions and never will. These laws pay lip service by being in compliance with the wording of the US Constitution, but they very much violate the spirit of it.

The life of the creator plus 70 years may as well be a perpetual copyright as all of us are concerned.
You too, huh? I honestly would have zero problems with Public Domain Superman. I'd love that. He would have been years ago without all these extensions anyway, and arguably should have been. But I would hate to see him in the hands of just the Siegels and their lawyer, or worse, torn apart into two Supermen.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L