superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:29:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DC Revamp  (Read 56090 times)
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 07:31:28 PM »

Blah. You can't change the costume. You can't get everyone and his brother to pretend that there were no comics about Superman between '38 and 2011.

I saw this in the news briefly and I absolutely thought, it's not even worth mentioning.

What I have done, which makes much more sense, is buy Reeves' "Adv. of Superman" seasons one and two on DVD that I saw together in a shop.
DoctorZero
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 12:25:04 AM »

I'd say there's two reasons:

1) to make it easier for the movie to go with a new look (this might even be it...photos of Cavill in costume should be in our near future)

2) to distance the character from his origins at the hands of Siegel and Shuster.  Note the announcement that some characters will have their origins re-done, this time I'm guessing more than cosmetically.  I think we are seeing the first steps toward separating Superman into two entities: one controlled by DC and the other by the Siegel heirs.

Either way, as always, I'll leave it to you guys to let me know how it goes.  If it's decent, I may pick up a trade in a year or so.  Or not.

This is what I feel.  I've thought for a while that DC was going to drop the elements their lawyers says the Siegels own rather than split the American profits with them.  I do think we are ultimately going to see two different versions of Superman much the way (at least for a while) there was a Marvel version of Captain Marvel and a DC one.

I find it difficult to believe that DC will drop Superman entirely if they couldn't reach a deal wit the Siegel heirs or that they would revamp Superman again in 2013, which seems to be the cutoff point when the rights totally revert.

Again, the key is what the Warner lawyers say should be changed.  Keep in mind DC has trademarked Superman, Clark Kent, Lois Lane, and various other things (including the  S shield).  As DC could call the original Captain Marvel "Captain Marvel") inside, DC may very well be able to use a number of elements so long as they alter various things from the Shuster/Siegel original version.

India Ink
Superman Squad

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 03:18:07 AM »

It's too bad there isn't one those homage comics around anymore like Big Bang or Supreme.

India Ink
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 01:01:29 PM »

It's too bad there isn't one those homage comics around anymore like Big Bang or Supreme.
I really enjoy Kirby: Genesis, but there's only been one issue to date.  Don't know how it'll pan out.

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
carmine
Superman Family

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 12:03:28 AM »

havent picked up Kirby genesis yet, it looked pretty cool though.

really a reboot to explain why superman is younger?
how about just draw him younger???

and his new uglier costume?
just say he made a new costume

all of this to explain why he isn't married to lois???
just come up with a stupid plot to unmarry them!!! like its all that difficult. it was a dumb gimmick to begin with

PS its weird that when comic book fans were kids they could read about an older superman , but now when comic book fans are older we need to read about a younger superman
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 03:15:34 AM »

Is Superman REALLY being jerked around for money more than ever?

It's hard to tell...especially in the face of fading sales of comics.

But I have to say that there were some pretty big changes in the 50s, 60s ...and to my chagrin (because I didn't like them), the 70s..

At the same time, changes in Superman in the early to mid 60s generated BIG money.
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2011, 03:43:10 AM »

But the Wesigner changes in the Superman titles and what Schwaretz did with The Flash and his titles was to create a layered continuity.

And as For the Siegel & ShutseR heirs getting Superman popular media's been getting the facts wrong -- they get the right to what was brought to DC before Action 1 which had editorial changes from Vin Sullivan and Dc edit0orial team.

What the heirs have copyright is not the current or pre-reboot "S" ensigna, a Superman with nameless parents - both on Krypton and Earth, who works for the Daily Star and wears lace up boots.

The real reason DC is doing a reboot is comic sales are in the shitter...'holding the line at 2.99" -- hah ha - 
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2011, 03:57:05 AM »

Does this mean that the families that are a millstone around the neck of Superman have finally been dealt with? Are they satisfied now? Will they all go away and get real jobs?

As for costume changes, etc. It will all last five minutes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L