superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:31:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Perez on Superman  (Read 3272 times)
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« on: June 06, 2011, 07:02:53 PM »

The scoop:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/06/06/dc-relaunch-george-perez-to-write-and-draw-superman-1/

I actually liked what Perez did on Wonder Woman back in the day, and I was pumped when he was assigned to Action way back when (though it ended up not amounting to much).

And you've gotta love a guy who lists Curt Swan as one of his chief influences.

This looks like a job for...
carmine
Superman Family

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 01:53:11 PM »

I like perez's art

not his writing so much

felt his wonder woman was a bit OVER written

people seem to like how "accurate" he was to greek myths (i couldn't tell you if he was or not). I don't read comics for that.
seeing as its a MYTH its not true anyways so why be accurate at all??? just make it up and go nuts, jack kirby style!!!

though then again i guess Walt was accurate in his norse myths during thor??  and i liked that
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 06:41:43 PM »

felt his wonder woman was a bit OVER written

That was the style at the time, apparently.

I'm in the process of sorting through my collection, trying to pare down the (now) 9 longboxes to 6 or less (incidentally, a depressingly easy task).  What I'm noticing is that comics from the 80s through the early 90s (when I gave up) were incredibly verbose.  Sometimes I even wonder how they fit pictures in at all.  Recently I bought the Walt Simonson Thor Omnibus (which I love!) and it's the same thing; study it a panel and a time and there's lots of great artwork, but hold it at arm's length and it looks like a page of text with doodles squeezed into the margins.  I think it all started with Chris Claremont on the X-Men; that guy would never limit himself to 50 words if the page could hold 500.  Much as I dislike the "less for your money" trend towards "decompression" these days, it does make it jarring to go back and read the old stuff.

As far as Perez on WW, I did like the nods to Greek mythology, and in general the sense of tension and danger he managed to get into a book that's not known for either.  But there was also a "Mary Worth" feel to a lot of it, with Diana's middle-aged mentor and her teenage daughter, neither of whose names I can remember.  Something always feels "off" when a man tries to write female characters, though thankfully in this case not as "off" as say Bob Haney trying to write teenagers.

Anyway, whatever curiosity I may have had over Perez' return to Superman pretty much went out the window with the preview image released last week.  Good luck to him; I'm investing in more "Chronicles".

This looks like a job for...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L