superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:58:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP Gene Colan  (Read 3556 times)
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« on: June 24, 2011, 12:25:11 PM »

Legendary comics artist Gene Colan has passed away at age 84.

He wasn't the first guy you'd think of associating with Superman, but his "Phantom Zone" mini-series was stellar and still one of my favorites.

This looks like a job for...
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 07:09:30 AM »

Loved that series. Colan was perfect for a Phantom Zone series since his art is so weird and skewed. His track record was phenomenal, from Daredevil to Nathaniel Dusk.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 01:25:49 PM »

I have to confess I really wasn't a fan of Colan's loose, swirly ink blot style as a kid.  I was in the camp that went for "realistic" anatomy and detail, ala Adams.  I still don't think he was the right choice for a "solid" and "technical" character like Iron Man; he made the armor look bendable, like foam rubber (even the mask changed features to show emotion!).  But "Phantom Zone" was an eye-opener (so to speak) with those great DeZuniga inks, and lately I've been wowed (to say the least) by Colan's work on Tomb of Dracula and Dr Strange, where he was paired with Tom Palmer, who made it all work.  Like most pencil artists, he just needed to be paired with the right inker.

This looks like a job for...
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 01:39:32 PM »

My first exposure to Gene was during the original Howard the Duck series; but it wasn't until his work on Batman and Daredevil that I elevated him to the Genius category.

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L