superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonA Tale of the Golden Age SupermanHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:36:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is anyone else thinking the reboot will be their "jumping off" point?  (Read 14377 times)
Apex
Superman Fan

« on: June 27, 2011, 04:36:45 AM »

I've been reading comics for a very long time (going on twenty-five years) and DC has always been my preference. Superman and The Batman are my two favorite characters, and I have read their books on and off again due to constantly changing quality.

I was hoping that "Secret Origin" would be the beginning of a new era in Superman comics, but now that's going the way of "Birthright."

This reboot stinks to high heaven, IMO, from the new costume "designs" to the statement that Grant Morrison (highly overrated, IMO) is going to "re-imagine" Superman.

I was only reading Green Lantern and the Flash these last few years, and now those titles are going to be changed as well.

I've been giving it a lot of thought and I think that the reboot might mark the end of my regular comic book reading for a good while, if not for good. I'm still picking up Cap and Iron Man (consistently good writing that, while event-driven, doesn't resort to reboots and revamps like DC does) but I think that's going to be it going ahead.

Is anyone else in this same boat? I get the impression that some of you guys haven't been reading the titles for a while now anyway, but I'm curious who else is going to say "bye bye" to DC as a result of the reboot.

For me, it's a matter of voting with my wallet. I just don't like this new approach, and I think it's going to fail in a few years. But until or unless that happens, DC won't be getting my money.

DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 12:33:42 PM »

Eh, I stopped buying the main books when Busiek left. Kept up by reading friends copies. The only new Superman comic material I've bought the past couple of years was Cary Bates' Elseworlds book and JMS' Earth 1.

I'll likely read some of the revamp the same way, but I'm not putting down money for it.

I honestly don't care what DC does with the property anymore. We've had 3 different origins in the past 10 years, numerous retcons, and only a small amount of good material. The character has been portrayed as an uncaring, revenge-minded maniac in some stories and an inept wimp in others. There is no consistency anymore.

If I had to put my finger on where I said to hell with the titles, it was during New Krypton. They take the main character out of his books for the duration and replace him with C-listers that are about as interesting as linoleum. They do some decent character development in WONK and Supergirl, but never explain in story why Lois Lane's father is suddenly Thunderbolt Ross because a Geoff Johns retcon is late as usual. Now, how much sense does this make to readers when the last time they saw the character in any capacity was during OWAW when he went out a hero and still had his Post-Crisis history intact. The story kept on going and going and going and going. Until War of the Supermen where DC decided that nearly two years worth of character development and world building was useless blew the planet up and had Zod reveal that those two years were a ruse and he was just a one-dimensional character. To add insult to injury, readers are supposed to buy that 15, 000 Kryptonians lose to Earth. That type of half-assed writing and editorial decisions are why I don't care anymore.

You know, Chuck Dixon was right. Dan DiDio is a directionless, gladhander, with a ouija board. This revamp is just his latest attempt in a decade of retcons, reboots, and Crises at throwing crap against a wall and seeing what sticks.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 01:05:36 PM by DBN » Logged
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 01:29:46 PM »

Well, I "jumped" around 1993, and if my experience is anything to judge by, I say embrace the change in your life...set yourself free.

Seriously, I know it's hard to give up monthlies for tons of reasons.  You don't want to desert your neighborhood shop owner.  You don't want to give up on a part of your life you once cherished.  Maybe, like me, you even define yourself largely by your hobby.  But when something stops being fun for you...something voluntary by nature...it's time to let it go.  You don't owe DC anything. 

I have no desire to see DC "fail" or "go under" but frankly, I've gotten what I wanted, and they got lots of my money, so it's an amicable split.

This looks like a job for...
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 03:34:29 PM »

Welcome to the forum, Apex.  You say that you've been reading comics for about 25 years - which puts your starting point at 1986, the same year as Byrne's MOS mini-series, another major Superman/DC reboot.  Although we can't know exactly what this reboot will be like until it happens, I gave that one a chance and I plan to give this one a chance.

I've read Grant Morrison's work in Superman 2000, The Flash, JLA, DC One Million, and All-Star Superman.  I think he's one of the top Superman writers there is, up there with Jerry Siegel and Elliot Maggin.  He gets it.  I also really enjoyed Perez's work on Teen Titans, the Wonder Woman reboot, and his brief Action Comics stint in the 90s.  I'm looking forward to seeing what the two of them come up with.

I think that Superman has been through far worse times than what he'll go through during this reboot (however long-term or short-term its effects may be) and I plan to pick up the first few issues, then decide -- just as I've always done with any new creative team on the books.

Having said that, I will be staying far away from the new JLA:

« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 02:53:39 AM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
India Ink
Superman Squad

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 04:02:56 PM »

Yes this will be my official jumping off point for new DC comic magazines. I admit to being curious about some of the new books, but the tipping point for me was the re-numbering. If I bought those books I would be sending a message that I approve of the re-numbering--which I definitely don't. So I have to stick to my guns and refuse to choose the number ones.

India Ink
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 04:05:23 PM »

The renumbering bothers me too.  But back in 1986, we had a new Superman #1, a new Flash #1, and a new Wonder Woman #1.  Granted that this time it's an across-the-board renumbering, but I don't think this is a radical new idea.  I don't follow Marvel Comics that closely, but I think they're doing something similar in at least some of their titles.

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
India Ink
Superman Squad

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 06:43:11 PM »

Well it's a gradual erosion that has taken decades. At least in '86 they kept the old numbering of Superman by changing the title to Adventures of..., and ultimately going back to the original title after Infinite Crisis. While Detective, Action, and Batman kept their numbers. They never tried to do an across the board re-numbering before.

And just recently they returned Adventure Comics with its old numbering and Wonder Woman got re-re-numbered. So they give with one hand and take away with the other.

Each little bit that they take away might not seem enough to break one's attachment to the whole, but all those little bits accumulate into a large chunk of everything that I used to like about DC.

I find it impossible to explain this to people on the DC message boards. Because, when taken bit by bit, it seems like I am being unreasonable. "What you're going to give up on these comics because of______?" But it's the totality of everything. It's hard to get that across. And when you've been getting these books for 45 years, every little failure adds up to one big oppressive wrong.

India Ink
Adekis
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 02:11:22 AM »

Not a chance. I'm a big fan of Superman. I'm a big fan of everone in the JLA (except Hal Jordan).
I'll boycott Batman for a little while, because I want Dick Grayson back as a Caped Crusader. But I'll get over that too, and I'll pick up Batman again.

And Superman? There's no way I would abandon my favorite character of all time to a reboot. Maybe this won't kill him. Maybe he'll be okay. And maybe it'll even work. I doubt it but you never know. I've got many years ahead of me though. I'm If I let go of Superman now, it'll be for most of my life. So I'll stick with Man of Action even if this story arc isn't much good.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L