superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:42:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there any example post crisis superman moving faster than light?  (Read 7020 times)
superboy
Superman Emergency Squad

Up,Up and away.

« on: June 30, 2011, 08:09:40 PM »

???I am a fan of silver age superman and recently supes is getting silver age level of power back so is there adny example of him breaking the time barrier after 1986? Undecided
India Ink
Superman Squad

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 10:38:23 PM »

In Our Worlds at War (which I think came out in 2001), Superman sun dips and then heads back to the beginning of time.

India Ink
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 03:51:07 AM »

???I am a fan of silver age superman and recently supes is getting silver age level of power back so is there adny example of him breaking the time barrier after 1986? Undecided

When Luther was elected President, Superman made it to one of Jupiter's moons in under 4 minutes (and split it in half).

During the JLElite miniseries, he flew to the sun and back in less than a minute.

Flew from one end of the solar system to the other in moments.

Traveled to Pluto with Krypto during OWAW within a short conversation.

Flew to the sun with Darkseid in tow in mere seconds in Superman/Batman: Supergirl.
Adekis
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 06:38:02 PM »

Faster than light is not the same as breaking the time barrier, which, as far as I know, is very rare post crisis. The Flash has gone thousands of times faster than light without going back in time. Most of the time when Superman does it, it's just because SF writers have no sense of scale. Some planet trillions of lightyears away? Superman can fly there in seconds, no problem.  Yeah right.

In Our Worlds at War (which I think came out in 2001), Superman sun dips and then heads back to the beginning of time.
I don't think he time travelled under his own power, did he? I thought that was a Boom Tube.

carmine
Superman Family

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 06:03:09 PM »

Superman it seems could go faster then light while traveling through space and not really go into the rainbow time tunnel

I think it was said a couple of times that it required Superman to make a certain move to time travel so "going faster then light" just wasn't enough.

maybe while simply traveling he could warp space around him and enter hypserspace and travel great distances very quickly
but to actually time travel he had to break through the rainbow time tunnel by doing a certain move

India Ink
Superman Squad

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 03:49:06 AM »

When Superman first time travels (in a Jerry Siegel story where he travels back in time to get historical autographs), the Man of Tomorrow has to move his body in a certain way to break through time.

In the early 80s--in the Sword of Superman, I think--Elliot Maggin describes a similar thing, where the Action Ace has to do some kind of internal muscular movements to push himself through time.

India Ink
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 10:42:11 AM »

Faster than light is not the same as breaking the time barrier, which, as far as I know, is very rare post crisis. The Flash has gone thousands of times faster than light without going back in time. Most of the time when Superman does it, it's just because SF writers have no sense of scale. Some planet trillions of lightyears away? Superman can fly there in seconds, no problem.  Yeah right.

During the Loeb era, it was explicitly stated most of the time. Joe Casey had the character bending space-time to achieve FTL speeds. In the same era, Loeb had him pick up the Flash's intangibility and invisibility trick by vibrating at Super speed. To my knowledge, the former is something the Pre-Crisis Superman never could achieve.
carmine
Superman Family

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 02:22:33 AM »

surprisingly enough Pre-Crisis Superman had actual limits where as Post-Crisis Superman was a vanity project for whatever the writer wanted to happen

it was almost like the editors didn't care

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L