superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:07:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cool Alternate Superman Costumes  (Read 17972 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« on: July 01, 2011, 01:51:28 PM »

Follow up to this thread and this thread in which I wrote:

Seeing the battle-suit version up against the other costumes like this, I've got to say it looks pretty bad.  I still think that losing the red trunks is an OK move (the idea worked very well in the Ultimate Superman proposal), but the 3D armor, the redesigned S logo, and the go-go boy utility belt -- someone just wasn't thinking.  Keep the outfit skin tight; keep the original boots and the trademarked S logo, lose the belt if you're going to lose the trunks (à la Supreme) -- then it would have been fine.  There is no other possible explanation except for the legal one.  They have to lose the "leotards."  Can't figure out why they're not using the trademarked logo, though.  That's more not thinking.

(Carmine, I don't know who the artist was on that shoe advert.)

Here are a few fan-created concepts that show what I'm talking about.  The first is from this site, the rest I found elsewhere online.  Clearly there are more than a few people who like this approach.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 01:53:00 PM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 08:45:45 PM »

Poking around the superman.nu archives, I came across these covers from 2001:

I had completely forgotten the existence of the "black-S" outfit.  I think it looked good in its way, but I'm glad Superman moved on.

And since it was also on that page, here's the Stan Lee/John Buscema Superman outfit:

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
BBally81
Supermen of America

Superfan For All Seasons

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 01:25:03 AM »

Here are 2 I found at Deviantart

http://ginodrone.deviantart.com/art/Superman-Tweak-185460815?q=favby%3Asuperman-art%2F38712670&qo=0

http://ginodrone.deviantart.com/art/Superman-Redesign-186145207?q=favby%3Asuperman-art%2F38712670&qo=1

No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN
carmine
Superman Family

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 02:26:56 AM »

here is my superman costume

NUDE except for red underpants
(and a belt)

or purple suit with fish bowl helmet

Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 02:23:52 AM »

Another good one with no trunks, although I'd make the S somewhat smaller:

I don't like the medium, but the design is cool - I like the fact that there is only one S logo on the front.  Making the belt-buckle into a second S logo was a bad move:

I like everything about this one:

A close-up of the panel from the Converse ad:

And just to make the thread complete, more concepts from the Superman Through the Ages! costume-concept gallery:

http://superman.nu/FanArt/concept.php

« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 02:28:04 AM by Great Rao » Logged

Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 03:39:33 AM »

Here's another take on the first design above:

These two pictures present themselves as WB concept art from one of the (non produced) Superman movies.  If true, I'm not surprised at the new costume design that we're now seeing from DC - given the similarities (high collar w/ trim, no trunks, triangular belt-buckle design); DC's new costume could very easily have come down from Warner Brothers.

Or the similarities could just be coincidence.

India Ink
Superman Squad

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 04:07:48 AM »

The difference is this one actually works. Notice how the belt is simple (Superman doesn't need a utility belt) but it incorporates the yellow and the red and reworks elements of the classic Superman costume. It's a nicely balanced design. I don't want any change--and i certainly don't want the S shield to change--but this one looks like it was designed by a real artist.

India Ink
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 01:10:05 PM »

but this one looks like it was designed by a real artist.

Well of course, here is where the suspension of disbelief comes in.  Superman would have designed the costume himself, as indeed would have all superheroes, and with rare exception none of them are artists, let alone tailors.

I can believe a rough and tough he-man could cobble together the original costume...shirt, tights, trunks, cape.  I can accept that Bruce Wayne made his first few costumes (putting more time into it than Clark because every element would be specially designed to reinforce the "fear and intimidation" motif) and that his more recent ones are the work of scientific know-how, a paid team of developers or both.  But other heroes?  Not so much.  The worst being the movie Peter Parker, who despite being flat broke somehow constructs a costume it took thousands of dollars and all manner of hi-tech machinery to construct in real life.

Which is to say, I'm always torn in these matters between the desire to see a well-designed outfit and the nagging voice in the back of my head that says no reporter, beat cop, lab technician or soldier could ever have mustered the design sense, sewing skills or funds to make it himself.  Seriously, what self-respecting man of action steps back from a tailor's dummy with needle and thread in hand and muses, "I don't know, maybe it needs a little yellow around the belt to bring it all together..." ?

This looks like a job for...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L