superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE AUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:52:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New details on the relaunched Superman  (Read 29534 times)
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2011, 06:35:53 AM »

Making him unsure and growing into the part? I just watched a decade for Zod's sake on Smallville....

I have to remove myself from paying attention to any of this. Making Byrne's reboot look good by comparison. And that was 25 years ago now.....
superboy
Superman Emergency Squad

Up,Up and away.

« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2011, 01:47:20 PM »

It could be worse. Cool I mean, a tough, slightly outlaw-like superman is how it all started.

I think if you read the action comics #1 preview, (yes, for once I am up to date ) it's virtually an updated version of a part of the original action comics #1.Although, his eyes could be a little less heat vision filled, like, constantly. I think it has potential. Wink

* page12.jpg (92.24 KB, 600x540 - viewed 1100 times.)
BMK!
Superman Family

« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2011, 07:20:45 PM »

The New 52 Interviews: Action Comics--Grant Morrison chats up the Man of Steel.

http://comics.ign.com/articles/119/1192650p1.html

IGN Comics: Similar to Justice League, the first arc of Action Comics takes place in the past of the DCU. Can you tell us what the DCU is like before the invention of Superman? How does his appearance change things?

Grant Morrison: It's more like the real world, with a sci-fi edge. Metropolis is the City of Tomorrow but its monorails and robot subways are in a graffiti-spattered state of disrepair. Think of Manhattan in the 70s - the world of Taxi Driver, Midnight Cowboy and The French Connection. Superman's arrival is what begins the transformation of that gritty mean streets milieu into the super-fantasy world of the DCU.

IGN: This approach to Superman is interesting in that it seems to have more of a focus on Kal-El as opposed to Clark Kent -- his alien side instead of his human upbringing. What interests you about exploring this side of him?

Morrison: It adds a little spice to the portrayal. Although young Kal-El/Clark Kent grew up knowing he'd been found in a rocket, he had no idea where the rocket came from. He has an indestructible blanket that kept him safe as a kid before his powers began to develop but he has no idea if he's from space, from another dimension or from Russia. Discovering that he's the last survivor of an extinct super-civilization affects him deeply as you might imagine and slightly changes his relationship to his adopted world. See Action Comics #3 - 'World Against Superman'.

IGN: At San Diego Comic-Con, you mentioned that Superman's cape is similar to Linus's security blanket in some ways. With Kal-El seeking to connect with his Kryptonian heritage, will we see more elements of that alien history appear?

Morrison: Definitely. There's a scene set on Krypton in issue #3, and issue #5 tells the story of Superman's rocket in its own words. I'm fascinated by Krypton's culture and civilization, so expect to see more of it as we progress.

IGN: I'm a devoted (borderline obsessive) fan of Krypto and Superman's relationship to him. Will Krypto be making an appearance in Action Comics? How about some of the other goofier, fun elements to the Man of Steel's mythology?

Morrison: Doctors say obsessing over Krypto is the sign of a healthy mind! You'll see the new-look Krypto in issue #3. I do intend to use some of the 'goofier' elements from Superman's past but for the purposes of this particular story these elements will be played straight to be scary, alien and awe-inspiring, rather than silly or nostalgic. A lot of people thought All-Star Superman was some kind of homage to Silver Age comics and I want to make sure our readers don't make the same mistake about this version of Superman.

IGN: All-Star Superman is held in high regard by many fans, and now you're being tasked with reinvigorating the character in hopes for an all-new appeal. Is it daunting not only to follow up such a well-received Superman story, but to do so with an Action Comics #1?

Morrison: Doing Action #1 was a little daunting, purely because of the historic significance of the title. As for All-Star Superman, the basic idea of doing young Superman stories started out as a spin-off from my work on that book, so in my own head I see these new adventures as the early years of the Superman from All-Star.

IGN: You've mentioned that we'll be seeing "familiar faces in some very unfamiliar ways." Can you say anything about what to expect from classic supporting characters like Jimmy Olsen and Perry White?

Morrison: Jimmy is Clark Kent's best friend in Metropolis. Perry doesn't really appear in my first arc, as Clark is still working for editor George Taylor at the Daily Star newspaper, the Planet's biggest rival.

IGN: What does Rags Morales bring to the table for Action Comics? How did the design for the 'Bruce Springsteen' look of Superman come about?

Morrison: Rags brings his prodigious talent for world-building and character acting. The 'Bruce Springsteen' look came about because I wanted to address some of the recurring complaints about Superman - that he's too powerful, too goody-goody to be relatable and wears his underpants over his pants. The idea was to take him back to his roots as the "champion of the oppressed", hence the blue collar T-shirt and jeans. We wanted to tell the story of how this young firebrand Superman acquired his alien costume and became the world's first superhero.

IGN: Coming from your continuing work on Batman, Batman & Robin, and Batman Inc., do you have plans to weave a Superman tale that is similar in scope to what you did with the Dark Knight?

Morrison: Well, the Batman story wound up taking six years to tell and so far I've only worked out 16 issues for Action Comics, but these things tend to grow in the telling so it remains to be seen where it will all end up. As with Batman, I plan to tell a story that gives me the opportunity to depict Superman's entire life.

IGN: Grant, thanks so much for your time! We're looking forward to it.
carmine
Superman Family

« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2011, 01:21:53 PM »

poor george taylor goes from being editor of a popular newspaper to being stuck on the planet of the apes.

I got the first issue of Action (haha first!) it was okay if a bit underwhelming. Seems to me that the train incident would probably just have killed everyone in side!

the boots and jeans costume is as stupid as i figured it was going to be

a nifty Legion of Superheroes reference (i think)

well thats about it really...it wasn't a terrible issue but the problem with updating "golden age" supes is that golden age supes was psycho bully...so how much can you really update that?Huh?
BMK!
Superman Family

« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2011, 01:21:29 PM »

Regarding that train incident, anyone notice that Luthor captured Superman using the power of a locomotive as a speeding bullet to trap him against a tall building?  Grin

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L