superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonSupermanicaHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 03:38:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favourite Representations of the "S" shield  (Read 15405 times)
Rugal 3:16
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 10:39:55 AM »

To each his own

I understand that different preferences takes precedence over other arguments

However at least for me the "I'm gonna put an S on my chest that stands for superman, even though that makes me look like a BRAGGART and i'm supposed to be a humble Boyscout as they call it" is something that doesn't sit well with me much more than a coincidence about a symbol just happened to resemble an "S" but again to each his own

And the Jonathan Kent thing Pre-crisis was late in the story but it was done unbelievably well and I think it adds to the pre-crisis mythos in which Supes himself was the Presence's chosen one (hence sword of Superman)

Otenami Haiken to iko ka
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 01:22:18 PM »

Anyone who dresses in blue tights and a red cape...in public...isn't exactly a paragon of humility in the first place.  So calling himself Superman works for me.

Maybe one way positive idea Byrne had is that he did some super-feat without the suit and everyone started calling him, "Superman," so he said, "Yeah, I like that," and made a costume around it.  Just as valid an idea would be that he purposely adopted the look from Day One as a kind of psychological warfare.  Just as Bruce Wayne creates an outfit designed to prey on fear, Kal makes one designed to inspire awe and hope.  Yes, "Superman" has some unfortunate connotations thanks to Nietzsche and Hitler, but Kal defines the title in his own way through his actions, as if to say, "Look, people, this is what a real Superman does; he doesn't rule, he helps."  The follow-through comes in "The Last Days of Superman," when he leaves what he thinks will be his last message for the world: "Do good for others and every man can be a Superman."

Or look at it this way; since Metropolis is full of people completely fooled by a pair of non-prescription glasses, maybe all that color plus a giant letter is necessary to identify him to such a dim crowd.

"Hey, look!  That guy is flying!  Who IS that?"
"Gee, I don't know...sure is colorful, though, with all that red and blue."
"Yeah, and look at the cape!  Pretty cool..."
"Oh, wait, there's something on his chest...looks like...yes, it's the letter 'S'."
"Ohhhh, it must be Superman, then! Superman starts with 'S'!"
"Oh Riiiiight, THAT flying red-and-blue guy.  Now I get it."

This looks like a job for...
India Ink
Superman Squad

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 02:42:47 PM »

Is Superman humble? I suppose he humbles himself by pretending to be Clark Kent. And sometimes he seems to have a martyr complex. But more often Superman is described as noble.

I don't think we should make too much out of why he wears a big S on his chest. This is just a conceit of comic books where every hero brands himself (it actually bothered me that Spider-Man wore two different spiders on his uniform--it seemed to me that the red stylized spider on the back should look like the black stylized spider on the front--this is how much I had absorbed the logic of comic book branding).

But I think Superman is allowed to be arrogant and self-promoting. If you have to rationalize it, you can say this is part of his act. He makes a show of Superman which has a few benefits: 1. It gets his message out--which acts as a deterrent to crime; 2. It identifies him clearly; 3. It distracts people, thus helping with his disguise.

India Ink
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 04:55:42 PM »

I don't think we should make too much out of why he wears a big S on his chest. This is just a conceit of comic books where every hero brands himself (it actually bothered me that Spider-Man wore two different spiders on his uniform--it seemed to me that the red stylized spider on the back should look like the black stylized spider on the front--this is how much I had absorbed the logic of comic book branding).

The spider on Spider-Man's back always looked more like a tick to me.

You make a good point; there's no good reason for any superhero to have a chest emblem, with the possible exception of Green Lantern, for whom it's a badge, and maybe the Fantastic 4, to show unity.  If you're dim enough not to understand that Batman is dressed like a giant bat, it's doubtful the extra bat on his chest is going to help.  Indeed, it's almost as superfluous as the "BATMAN" label they printed on the forehead of those old Halloween masks.

Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 01:52:18 AM »

don't forget its also a snake trapped in a diamond!!! (according to Kevin J Anderson)...oh wait everyone forgot that??? fine whatever

Wasn't there something like that in "the Kents"mini-series by John Ostrander?

According to Byrne, the logo was two fish swimming in opposite directions (!) (the yellow part)

But I prefer this one:

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 12:55:41 PM »

That's cool, and of course when you factor in Superboy, it makes a lot more sense.  It's easier to see a boy of ten or so adopting the logo and "super" prefix than a grown man.  What can come off as arrogant in an adult is often endearing in a youth.

superboy
Superman Emergency Squad

Up,Up and away.

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2011, 07:17:32 PM »

yet a mere S that stands for superman, ( or superboy ) doesn't have as much meaning. Any random heroe could have a large capital letter of their title, yet the best ones have symbol's.
Instead of a B, batman has a bat symbol ( what he represents)
Instead of a GL, green lantern has the symbol of oa ( what he represents )
Instead of a W, wonder woman has a eagle ( what dhe represents...somehow)
So a plain S doesn't show creativity, and the best have symbols.
Insted of " two fish swimming towards each other, john byrne, he has the symbol of El, or krypton ( what he represents, as the last son of krypton)

Which I think anyday is more insapiring than two fish.
Rugal 3:16
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2011, 09:37:30 PM »

Saving Lives
Stopping Crime
Super-Help to those in need

Are indeed a powerful symbolisms meant to represent the S logo from the eyes of a child..

I Guess I Hated it when Byrne's version shows that when they're coming up with the Logo (see last 4 pages of MOS 1) instead of these points being illustrated IT DOES seem he's an Arrogant and Pompous braggart Excited to where his initials on the chest instead of this ellaboration.

BTW im not really a fan of the "Superboy" Name, though im a fan of the character (but that's for another thread)

Whether you agree or not with Waid's Kryptonian Heritage Motif it serves the same purpose whilst at the same time Honoring Krypton, so I feel it's still better than Byrne's mis-represented version (or at least has a poor showing of it)

I Still Say Pre-Crisis Latter point is the best because it Enriches the Mythos somewhat if this was explored further in one story

Creation.. The Sword gets Fashioned with the S Logo
after time goes on Scientist Jor-El Sends his only son to Earth
Kal-El grows up as Clark Kent into a Boy and starts a Superhero career
Jonathan Kent DREAMS about the S logo implanted to him BY the Presence and proposes the idea to Clark
Clark Decides he chooses the S and comes up with
It Stands for Superboy/man
Saving Lives
Stopping Crime
Super-Help to those in need
Then the sword finds him.

again The Presence making Jonathan Kent Dream the S hence destined to be Kal-El's symbol makes him a pivotal creation of the universe and should that have been explored it would have been better.

It does not detract from Superboy's Original intent and Potentially enriches the mythos as well.

Otenami Haiken to iko ka
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L