superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:09:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: “MAN OF STEEL” REVEALED - First Look at Star Henry Cavill as Superman  (Read 23040 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 12:39:29 PM »

Also from Superman’s native Krypton are Lara Lor-Van, Superman’s mother, played by Julia Ormond, and Superman’s father, Jor-El, portrayed by Academy Award® winner Russell Crowe (“Gladiator”).

I hope this isn't going to be another Superman origin film ... 

I don't like to criticise a movie this early, but enough already of the origin.  Roll Eyes

You never know, maybe they'll do something different.  Maybe Jor-El and Lara only appear as holographic flashbacks...  Grin

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
India Ink
Superman Squad

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 12:01:40 AM »

My preference would have been a sequel to the last movie, where Superman travels back in time to Krypton before it was destroyed and has an encounter with Brainiac--as well as Zod. That would tell the origin, without telling the origin, since it would be a part of the whole story. Then Superman is yanked back to Earth in the present, but time has been changed and Lois has never had a son. Kind of a reversal of Superman the Movie--Superman remembers the old timeline and feels the loss of his son who was never born.

India Ink
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 12:56:54 AM »

Have to disagree with you there, India.  The one positive of this new film for me is the hope -- just a hope at this point -- that it will break from the Donnerverse once and for all.  I'm tired of the ugly Fortress, the campy con artist Luthor, even the Williams overture.  Since 1978, we've had five movies that were tied to each other yet somehow never managed a proper continuity, anyway.  Time to start fresh.

They painted themselves in a corner with that kid.  There's nothing you can do with him -- including erasing him -- and have it be satisfying. It was a big mistake.

This looks like a job for...
India Ink
Superman Squad

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2011, 02:25:25 AM »

But anyway my point was that a way to tell the origin without telling the origin is to do some kind of story that takes place on Krypton as part of the plot.

The Geoff Johns Brainiac story sort of did that--although I didn't like where that led to in the end. It would be interesting, for example, to tell a whole movie from the perspective of Brainiac.

The movie would start out on Colu and follow him to Krypton where he observes Krypton society and extracts Kandor from the planet for further observation--even as Dru-Zod, Jor-El, and Zor-El attempt to defeat his drones.

We then follow Brainiac further on in time as he studies the Earth. He becomes keenly interested in the Superman who defends this planet and Brainiac engages in closer observation, before launching an attack on Metropolis.

India Ink
Kal Kent 853
Superman Fan

up, up and away

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 02:52:28 PM »

The origin gives people a chance to understand the storyline of superman who have never seen a superman film before. When I first watched the original when I was a kid, I had no idea superman was from another planet.I did'nt even knoew he was indestructible! Tongue The origin also gives a chance to expand on the family history between the house of El and zod. Grin
BMK!
Superman Family

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 04:29:18 PM »

Supposedly, this is the synopsis for the movie which turned up online a couple of days ago...

"In the pantheon of superheroes, Superman is the most recognized and revered character of all time. Clark Kent/Kal-El (Cavill) is a young twentysomething journalist who feels alienated by powers beyond anyone's imagination. Transported to Earth years ago from Krypton, an advanced alien planet, Clark struggles with the ultimate question - Why am I here? Shaped by the values of his adoptive parents Martha (Lane) and Jonathan Kent (Costner), Clark soon discovers that having super abilities means making very difficult decisions. But when the world needs stability the most, it comes under attack. Will his abilities be used to maintain peace or ultimately used to divide and conquer? Clark must become the hero known as "Superman," not only to shine as the world's last beacon of hope but to protect the ones he loves."
BMK!
Superman Family

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 01:47:05 PM »

Close-Up Shots of Superman on the Man of Steel Set! (More pics at links)

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/168314-close-up-shot-of-superman-on-the-man-of-steel-set

http://leagueofcomicgeeks.com/news/1120/new-man-of-steel-set-photos-more-of-the-costume

« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 05:34:39 PM by BMK! » Logged
BMK!
Superman Family

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 05:56:19 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L