superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:56:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DCnU Action Comics #1  (Read 21731 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« on: September 09, 2011, 03:21:12 PM »

I missed the LSH reference.  I thought the issue was great - I'm glad to finally see Superman doing things like going after corrupt politicians, stopping wife beaters, and the old jumping-around-in-the-air-with-the-crook trick to get confessions.  Reads like the Golden Age Superman in the modern world.  He even has the unflagging optimism and sense of humor.

Looking forward to seeing what happens next.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 04:14:26 PM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
India Ink
Superman Squad

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 04:09:49 PM »

As an equal opportunity offender--since I made a fuss about this on another message board, I feel I should do the same here and point out the potential confusion if we keep referring to "Action Comics #1"--especially in topic titles, without being clear about what we mean--couldn't there be some new way of identifying such titles? For myself, the thing that attracts me to this site is the ability to talk about classic Superman comics and share stories with others. I realize the new stuff is going to get some attention, but I hope it doesn't eclipse the conversations about classic titles and stories.

Just a friendly opinion.

India Ink
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 04:16:15 PM »

I figure that Superman - in all his incarnations - are open topics.  I've re-titled the thread by adding "DCnU" - unless anyone has any other suggestions?

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
India Ink
Superman Squad

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 04:36:19 PM »

Ha ha, that'll do.  Smiley

India Ink
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 05:37:16 PM »

I missed the LSH reference.  I thought the issue was great - I'm glad to finally see Superman doing things like going after corrupt politicians, stopping wife beaters, and the old jumping-around-in-the-air-with-the-crook trick to get confessions.  Reads like the Golden Age Superman in the modern world.  He even has the unflagging optimism and sense of humor.

Hmm, so I was right. This Superman is an idiot and a bully. The crook's confession will never hold up in court because it was made under duress and the wife beater will likely be beating his wife again after he recovers.

Conclusion? The '90's Superman team did a better job with social relevance and realism.

superboy
Superman Emergency Squad

Up,Up and away.

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 07:11:49 PM »

As I pointed out before, superman was intended like that, I mean, some of the pages from action comics #1 were near identical to the original action comics#1. Hey, if superman doesn't beat up crooked politicians, who else will? Heh heh.

BBally81
Supermen of America

Superfan For All Seasons

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 04:17:11 PM »

Just read it, I enjoyed it. It was a fun read, love all the references Morrison used, love the idea of Clark and Jimmy being closed friends, loved the idea that Clark worked for the Daily Star before he moved to the Planet and love how Lex Luthor is portrayed in this issue.

No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN
Adekis
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 10:02:52 PM »

Hmm, so I was right. This Superman is an idiot and a bully. The crook's confession will never hold up in court because it was made under duress and the wife beater will likely be beating his wife again after he recovers.

Conclusion? The '90's Superman team did a better job with social relevance and realism.

They never addressed the wife beater, but my guess is that she has enough time to file for divorce or a restraining order or something. Though I admit, I don't really like that Superman hospitalized somebody either.

But they did address the issue of the confession. Daily Star Editor George Taylor is on the phone with Clark as he calls in his "Superman Attacks Corrupt Businessman Glenmorgan!" story, and Clark specifically says that while the confession would never hold up on it's own, it does back up HARD EVIDENCE against him. DBN, have you read or do you plan to read this story at all?

Personally, I don't think he's an idiot or a bully. I just think he's being proactive for the first time in twenty years. And he's doing what he always does, fighting that same never-ending battle for truth, justice, and the American way. Superman IS a Champion of the Oppressed, you know, and he fights the oppressors equally, whether they're Brainiac or just some guy treating his workers like crap.

I was especially happy with one line Morrison gave him, which I think sums up the Golden Age version of the character : "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right, or expect a visit from me."

Plus, he stayed true to the old tenet, "Superman never kills." Throughout the comic, the only flaw of the Golden Age Superman (that he sometimes didn't catch the people he threw) was nowhere to be found.

One thing in particular I liked? Superman smiled. He smiled a lot. The most commonly addressed version of Superman is something like the one in Superman Earth One, explicitly said not to smile very often. But this guy clearly enjoys being Superman, and I think that's wonderful.

Okay, I think I've gushed enough about it for at least a little while, but I hope this new Superman sticks around forever WAY more than the six issues we've been promised.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L