superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:59:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DCnU Action Comics #1  (Read 22058 times)
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 12:52:13 AM »

I missed the LSH reference.  I thought the issue was great - I'm glad to finally see Superman doing things like going after corrupt politicians, stopping wife beaters, and the old jumping-around-in-the-air-with-the-crook trick to get confessions.  Reads like the Golden Age Superman in the modern world.  He even has the unflagging optimism and sense of humor.

Looking forward to seeing what happens next.

Hmm, so I was right. This Superman is an idiot and a bully. The crook's confession will never hold up in court because it was made under duress and the wife beater will likely be beating his wife again after he recovers.

Conclusion? The '90's Superman team did a better job with social relevance and realism.

They never addressed the wife beater, but my guess is that she has enough time to file for divorce or a restraining order or something. Though I admit, I don't really like that Superman hospitalized somebody either.

Since DC is going for the really-real world in this reboot, I'm going to assume that the wife beater recovered and either continues to assault his wife in one form or another or he killed her as it too often happens here.

But they did address the issue of the confession. Daily Star Editor George Taylor is on the phone with Clark as he calls in his "Superman Attacks Corrupt Businessman Glenmorgan!" story, and Clark specifically says that while the confession would never hold up on it's own, it does back up HARD EVIDENCE against him. DBN, have you read or do you plan to read this story at all?

Then, what was the point in attacking him? If they had hard evidence, they should go ahead and either publish it or turn it over to the authorities. The forced confession and the methods Clark used to get it are only going to make the criminal look like a victim once the story is spun.

I've read detailed reviews and summaries of the story. I'll get around to reading it once my buddy gets his copy. Either way, I don't need the copy in hand to know something doesn't pass the smell test any more than I need to watch Battlefield Earth to know that it's a terrible movie.

Personally, I don't think he's an idiot or a bully. I just think he's being proactive for the first time in twenty years. And he's doing what he always does, fighting that same never-ending battle for truth, justice, and the American way. Superman IS a Champion of the Oppressed, you know, and he fights the oppressors equally, whether they're Brainiac or just some guy treating his workers like crap.

Superman doesn't act like judge, jury, and executioner and toss people out a window and they end up sustaining two broken hips and a number of broken or fractured ribs. Superman certainly isn't stupid enough to give a well-connected criminal ample ammunition by scaring a confession out of him and possibly dilute any hard evidence he may have.

-side note-

You gotta wonder what this new "socially-conscious" Superman would do if he came upon a policeman giving a known-criminal some stick time: Does he stop the policeman and help the scum bag or does he join in on the beat down?
BBally81
Supermen of America

Superfan For All Seasons

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 11:37:24 AM »

I don't need the copy in hand to know something doesn't pass the smell test any more than I need to watch Battlefield Earth to know that it's a terrible movie.

Except Morrison's Action Comics 1 got overwhelming positivie reception from critics and comic readers while Battlefield Earth was critically panned and a box office bomb. So, that wasn't a good comparison whatsoever.

No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 01:45:22 PM »

I don't need the copy in hand to know something doesn't pass the smell test any more than I need to watch Battlefield Earth to know that it's a terrible movie.

Except Morrison's Action Comics 1 got overwhelming positivie reception from critics and comic readers while Battlefield Earth was critically panned and a box office bomb. So, that wasn't a good comparison whatsoever.

Except that I don't care about a reviewer's opinion, what I am looking for when I'm reading a review are detailed plot points, characterization, etc. They go more in depth than a simple synopsis or summary. From that, I can discern whether or not to actually spend money on a product.

I'm not in any hurry to read a story where "Superman" hospitalizes a guy.
India Ink
Superman Squad

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 05:54:03 PM »

One of the things I really hated about the previous incarnation of Superman was the use of General Lane as some evil military stereotype. It's disappointing to see this is continuing--and may even be much worse. How convenient that Clark just happens to fall in love with a woman whose father is bent on his destruction. Yuck!

India Ink
BBally81
Supermen of America

Superfan For All Seasons

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 06:23:49 PM »

Except that I don't care about a reviewer's opinion, what I am looking for when I'm reading a review are detailed plot points, characterization, etc. They go more in depth than a simple synopsis or summary. From that, I can discern whether or not to actually spend money on a product.

Battlefield Earth or any terrible movie still doesn't belong in the same sentence as Morrison's Action Comics 1.

No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 07:29:59 PM »

Battlefield Earth or any terrible movie still doesn't belong in the same sentence as Morrison's Action Comics 1.

Taste being the subjective object that it is, I'd have to disagree.

-Responding to an earlier post

Plus, he stayed true to the old tenet, "Superman never kills." Throughout the comic, the only flaw of the Golden Age Superman (that he sometimes didn't catch the people he threw) was nowhere to be found.

One thing in particular I liked? Superman smiled. He smiled a lot. The most commonly addressed version of Superman is something like the one in Superman Earth One, explicitly said not to smile very often. But this guy clearly enjoys being Superman, and I think that's wonderful.

Do you remember Chuck Austen's run on Action Comics a few years back? Austen went for the Golden Age characterization, had Superman smile, clearly enjoy his calling/job/whatever complete with puns, and even had him kneecap some villains with his heat vision. The end result? A disaster. A number of retailers boycotted the run, Austen was fired (hasn't done much in comics since), and the run was completed by an unknown writer under a pseudo-name.
Adekis
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 11:17:49 PM »

Since DC is going for the really-real world in this reboot, I'm going to assume that the wife beater recovered and either continues to assault his wife in one form or another or he killed her as it too often happens here.
The really real world? Come now. The main character is a man who can run faster than a speeding bullet, who gets hit in full on by a gigantic future-train going at full speed without dying. In fact, I doubt if he'll actually need any serious medical attention. And he does it all while wearing a red cape that used to be his baby blanket.

We are dealing with Superman. Realism went out the window the moment Siegel and Shuster decided he was based on guys like Samson and Hercules. If it was realistic at all, you would be reading about someone else. Besides, what would you have Superman do about the wife-beater? Just let him keep hitting her? The precedent here is for them to get thrown through a wall.

Then, what was the point in attacking him? If they had hard evidence, they should go ahead and either publish it or turn it over to the authorities. The forced confession and the methods Clark used to get it are only going to make the criminal look like a victim once the story is spun.
Because Glenmorgan was in charge of the city, like Luthor in the 90s. Evidence or no evidence, they weren't going to arrest him. They probably wouldn't even have published the story, he probably owns the paper or something. But if he were to turn himself in? I admit, the Superman angle does make him look a bit like a victim, but now the evidence that they have against him will be at least visible, instead of dismissed because of who it's against.

Superman doesn't act like judge, jury, and executioner and toss people out a window and they end up sustaining two broken hips and a number of broken or fractured ribs. Superman certainly isn't stupid enough to give a well-connected criminal ample ammunition by scaring a confession out of him and possibly dilute any hard evidence he may have.
First: I pointed out that Superman doesn't kill anyone in the story. He injured one guy, off panel. To be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about that either, but I'd imagine Superman decided to keep an eye on that woman so he can stop her husband if it happens again. Second: Ammunition to what? Take Superman down? He's not exactly going to respond to a court summons. Don't worry though, if you're so eager to see that Superman gets captured, just look at the end of the story. Luthor helps General Lane take him down, probably killing quite a few people in the process, and we're left with a teaser for "Next Issue: Superman in Chains!". There's your pro-establishment "hero", if you want him. Hail Luthor.

You gotta wonder what this new "socially-conscious" Superman would do if he came upon a policeman giving a known-criminal some stick time: Does he stop the policeman and help the scum bag or does he join in on the beat down?
What kind of question is that? You might as well ask it of the "Classic" Superman, I don't think the answer would be that different. If the guy's actually a scumbag, Superman sticks around to make sure he's properly arrested and not just smacked up. If he's a good man forced into doing non-evil but extravagant illegal things by societal pressure, Superman probably not only stops the cop, but gets the guy back on his feet so he doesn't have to keep turning to crime. Remember: Champion of the Oppressed. It depends on whether the guy is a murderer or a thief or whatever too, but anyone beating up a guy, even a cop beating up a crook, isn't something Superman will just ignore. ANY Superman.

Do you remember Chuck Austen's run on Action Comics a few years back? Austen went for the Golden Age characterization, had Superman smile, clearly enjoy his calling/job/whatever complete with puns, and even had him kneecap some villains with his heat vision. The end result? A disaster. A number of retailers boycotted the run, Austen was fired (hasn't done much in comics since), and the run was completed by an unknown writer under a pseudo-name.
Austen went overboard. I do think that the high sales and mixed-but-mostly-positive reviews on Action show that people are willing to accept a pro-active, enjoys his job Superman. Austen's was more like a psychopath. Morrison's Superman doesn't kneecap anyone with his heat vision. He takes down a businessman nobody else would try to. He tries to stop a train with a bomb on the tracks. He stops Luthor from destroying a building with people still in it. And he throws ONE dirtball through a window off panel. Horrible bully and idiot, or relatively heroic Champion of the Oppressed?

Frankly, I don't even know why I have to ask.
carmine
Superman Family

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 11:55:24 PM »

vigilantism really only works if you kill the person so you won't need a trial.
other wise you're just bothering people
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L