superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:00:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DCnU Superman #1 preview  (Read 13889 times)
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« on: September 23, 2011, 08:34:17 PM »

is up at CBR:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=9892

by George Pérez & Jesús Merino

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
Adekis
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 01:17:12 AM »

I saw this. Looks decent. I like the way they're making the costume work, how they're referencing his increasing power level, and how people still only mostly trust Superman.

Mostly, I'm interested in Human Torch up there. What is it, where's it from, is it really from Krypton? How much does Superman know about Krypton? It's likely a newer concept to Superman, I think he's unaware of it in Action Comics so far. I'll definitely pick this book up.
superboy
Superman Emergency Squad

Up,Up and away.

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 04:59:38 PM »

Is ( sorry, I haven't been keeping up to date ) ,  action comics 1 out now?
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 07:58:56 PM »

Yes, Action #1 is out.  I posted my thoughts about it here.

I recently picked up Swamp Thing #1, which has a Superman guest appearance.  I have to say, the new costume here is g*dawful.  Here is one page of the three I scanned:

After seeing multiple pages of this, the ad at the end of the book was a breath of fresh air.

I think this will be as short-lived as the electro-blue costume was.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 08:01:01 PM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
India Ink
Superman Squad

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 11:23:28 PM »

As you know, I'm not reading these comics, but looking at those pictures of Superman's new duds I realized that he probably has a lot of problems with his joints like me. He's twenty years older than me, so I imagine it's getting really tough for him. These days I've been thinking it'd be nice to have some kind of exoskeleton to do the work for my joints, especially for my knee--since some days I can hardly walk a block without being in pain. I've tried knee braces, but they only seem to make the problem worse. Superman seems to have figured out how to overcome the joint pains that come with aging, so he can stay employed in his old career. I'm envious.

India Ink
Kal Kent 853
Superman Fan

up, up and away

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 10:32:07 AM »

So what was the last pre flashpoint superman comic?
India Ink
Superman Squad

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 05:16:25 AM »

Word is that George Perez will leave the series after issue 6. Keith Giffen and Dan Jurgens are supposed to replace him, I don't know about Moreno.

Complaints about the 1st issue on other message boards seem to say that the story was too wordy or too old school.

I didn't pick up the book--all I have to go on is the CBR preview pages--but even though I'm no fan of the relaunch nor of Perez as a writer (though I love him as an artist), I was impressed by those pages. If I'm being objective and not judging them according to my own personal bias against the relaunch and all the things that have been done to the characters. As just basic comic book storytelling, those pages look good. The visuals are strong, the inking is great. The use of text works, because Perez is doing a collage of narratives. The wordiness has a purpose and it's not entirely for the sake of being expository, but rather to show different levels of text and how they cohere and contrast. And it's a first issue, so we're being introduced to the characters and their milieu through these different levels of storytelling which all meet on the comic page.

I guess this makes me old school, because I don't see the defect that others see. Granted, though, I'm just going by the sample of the preview pages. But I wonder if younger readers just don't like having to read a lot of text and they have come to think that "good" comics are just a lot of pictures and very little text.

Anyway, even though I have no desire to see the DC relaunch succeed, I like Mr. Perez and I hope he's doing okay.

India Ink
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 07:29:52 AM »

Word is that George Perez will leave the series after issue 6. Keith Giffen and Dan Jurgens are supposed to replace him, I don't know about Moreno.

Complaints about the 1st issue on other message boards seem to say that the story was too wordy or too old school.

I didn't pick up the book--all I have to go on is the CBR preview pages--but even though I'm no fan of the relaunch nor of Perez as a writer (though I love him as an artist), I was impressed by those pages. If I'm being objective and not judging them according to my own personal bias against the relaunch and all the things that have been done to the characters. As just basic comic book storytelling, those pages look good. The visuals are strong, the inking is great. The use of text works, because Perez is doing a collage of narratives. The wordiness has a purpose and it's not entirely for the sake of being expository, but rather to show different levels of text and how they cohere and contrast. And it's a first issue, so we're being introduced to the characters and their milieu through these different levels of storytelling which all meet on the comic page.

I guess this makes me old school, because I don't see the defect that others see. Granted, though, I'm just going by the sample of the preview pages. But I wonder if younger readers just don't like having to read a lot of text and they have come to think that "good" comics are just a lot of pictures and very little text.

Anyway, even though I have no desire to see the DC relaunch succeed, I like Mr. Perez and I hope he's doing okay.

The problem, to me, is not that it's too wordy. The problem is the style of writing that Perez chose for the issue. Specifically, it felt like his first issue of Action Comics in the late '80s after Byrne left. Big cast of characters, focus on the Daily Planet and Clark Kent, but not Superman. That style may have worked in the past when Superman had 3 inter-connected titles, stories spilled over from one issue to the next, and comics were less than 1 USD. But, when you only have two books and one is set 5 years in the past? That's a lot of ground to cover and you should be wanting to establish the main character in the first few issues, not his supporting cast.

That's my opinion, however, there are those saying that it was a bad issue just for the fact that it was wordy. Of course, the opinion of the ADD crowd is not one that I take seriously for the simple fact that they lack common sense (in my view) in their purchasing habits. The books now cost 3-4 USD and a good amount of them take 5 minutes or less to read. Seriously, they put down more money for less content, argue that more books should be that way, and criticize those that aren't. In short, they're idiots.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L