superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:52:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DCnU Superman #1 preview  (Read 13880 times)
India Ink
Superman Squad

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 04:53:18 PM »

I would imagine that George Perez was put in a difficult position with Superman, because he can't really reveal anything about the present Superman without interfering with Grant Morrison's plans. That's different from when Perez relaunched Wonder Woman, because he had total control over Diana and how her character developed.

That would explain why he chose to concentrate on Superman's surrounding characters and their situations, where he would have a freer hand.

It's kind of unfair of DC to put creators in these difficult positions. That's why a full reboot would have been better. Then all DC comics could start at the same point and show how all these characters developed. This relaunch is sort of like One Year Later, where DC was being coy about the different heroes and their relationships--in an effort to keep readers guessing--but it's hard to coordinate that kind of thing across several titles.

The early days of the Byrne/Wolfman Superman were quite enjoyable, because you could follow the development of the character through Superman, Action, and Adventures of Superman, without any gap. But even then, I think the DCU suffered for not being a full reboot.

I don't like these halfway measures. Either stick to established continuity and find ways to use it in new and creative ways, or do a full reboot and start all over again with everything. But don't try to have it both ways.

India Ink
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 08:33:52 PM »

I would imagine that George Perez was put in a difficult position with Superman, because he can't really reveal anything about the present Superman without interfering with Grant Morrison's plans. That's different from when Perez relaunched Wonder Woman, because he had total control over Diana and how her character developed.

That would explain why he chose to concentrate on Superman's surrounding characters and their situations, where he would have a freer hand.

It's kind of unfair of DC to put creators in these difficult positions. That's why a full reboot would have been better. Then all DC comics could start at the same point and show how all these characters developed. This relaunch is sort of like One Year Later, where DC was being coy about the different heroes and their relationships--in an effort to keep readers guessing--but it's hard to coordinate that kind of thing across several titles.

DC set him and any future team on the book up for failure then. They should have had Morrison's introductory arc run through both titles with enough artists on standby to keep from getting behind schedule and quickly set up the new status quo.

These problems are only going to continue if Morrison and Morales fall behind schedule, as both have done so in the recent past.

Of course, DC screwing up a relaunch is a common occurrence.
BBally81
Supermen of America

Superfan For All Seasons

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 09:27:56 PM »

I'm glad they went with the look that Morales did for Clark Kent in Action Comics, makes his secret identity a bit more convincing. I'm sick of people complaining of how "his disguise stinks"

No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 12:46:14 AM »

So what was the last pre flashpoint superman comic?

I'm pretty sure it was Superman #714, which was a nice capstone to the Bronze/Iron/Mercury Age Superman.

I am absolutely flabbergasted that Giffen and Jurgens will be taking over the new Superman title.  If Chris Roberson were the new writer, I'd be excited.

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
BBally81
Supermen of America

Superfan For All Seasons

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 11:58:23 PM »

Well at least Jurgens is doing the art (and he's a pretty good artist) and I'm actually fan of Giffen's run on Justice League International. So hopefully it will be fine.

No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 01:59:35 AM »

Not sure how long the forum has been back, but I'm glad!

I just finished reading through several of the new 52 titles. I'll read the new Action Comics, but not the new Superman. Aquaman, Green Lantern, and Justice League all look very interesting. Supergirl might end up being okay, but this is her 5th reboot since Crisis, and this isn't as good as the last one.

Detective Comics: no. I won't be reading the bat-books. They've basically taken on the Heath Ledger characterization of the Joker, times ten...a serial killer who tortures people to death with a knife. With that characterization, it's immoral for Batman to not have killed him already, since the joker seems to have already killed about 100 people as the issue opens.

One title I haven't read that I'm usually interested in is Swamp Thing...is it any good?

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 02:11:48 AM »

Well at least Jurgens is doing the art (and he's a pretty good artist) and I'm actually fan of Giffen's run on Justice League International. So hopefully it will be fine.

Dan's art is fine, he just needs the right inker to back him up. Unfortunately, the guy that does most of Jurgens' inking duties now is Norm Rapmund. The finished art just doesn't look as good as it did when Brett Breeding or Joe Rubinstein were on inking duties.

Examples:

Jurgens/Rapmund

Jurgens/Breeding

carmine
Superman Family

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2011, 11:17:34 PM »

Aquaman was the best one I've read actually and thats just because it has Aquaman answering all those "snide jokes" fanboys make about ol Aquay (or whatever his nickname is...we got supes, wondy, bats, GL...and aquay)

I like that they have Aquaman doing surface stuff. That was always my problem with the guy. Keeping Aquaman in the water is like keeping thor in asgard. Sure he can go their and have adventures there but he's gotta go to Earth some times

Perez's Superman was as over written as I assumed. Its nice that it takes awhile to read a comic but this was a bit much. I have a feeling that DC is sticking the screws to "Superman" writers because Morrison is the star on Action.
Seems kinda similar to when Morrison was on X-Men. (then again I don't really know how these things work)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L