superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:03:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This week's Trivia Q  (Read 18604 times)
Nykor
Supermen of America

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2012, 12:31:26 AM »

I'd like to apologize for not having followed thru on the Weekly Trivia Question--the truth is that, when I realized that I asked a question which I hadn't sufficiently researched, I thought of doing serious harm to myself, which, I agree, is a considerable (and SCARY) over-reaction. Yadda, yadda, yadda, responsible authorities have raised my anti-psychotics, and now I'm doing marginally, but noticeably, better.

So now I'll re-phrase the question:
What artist:
1. Worked for DC in the '30's.
2. Worked for DC in the '60's
3. Drew both Superman and Batman
4. Drew one (1) and only one full-length (24 pages) story featuring Batman in the '60's, for an editor other than the one with whom he usually dealt.

And, once again, I'm sorry.
Gernot
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2012, 07:38:58 PM »

I'm gonna feel kind'a stupid for saying this, but could it be Curt Swan?

Probably not, but he's the only person EYE kin think of!  Wink

Nykor
Supermen of America

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 11:25:51 PM »

Curt didn't draw (professionally) in the 30's; no, the answer is George Papp, who pencilled and inked a book-length Batman team-up with Green Arrow (whose exploits George once drew in "Adventure Comics") in "The Brave and the Bold" for editor George Kashdan, thus, I hope, giving Papp a needed break from the acid tongue of his usual overseer, Mort Weisinger.

Incidentally, George Papp didn't draw any stories for DC in the 30's, but he did produce filler pages ("Sports Data", "Fantastic Facts", and "Film Oddities") in early issues of "Action Comics".

And now, here's a trivia question that may shock some--(the discovery certainly stunned me):
     "Where might a Superman fan have read, 'Why don'cha look into a mirror--and then kill yourself?', only one month to the day after George Reeves did just about that?"
I'll have the answer...oh, let's call it next week, sanity willing.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2012, 08:41:06 AM »

was it an issue of Jimmy Olsen?

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Gernot
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2012, 10:25:36 AM »

I'll say an issue of MAD MagazineSmiley

Nykor
Supermen of America

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2012, 07:31:10 PM »

An unnamed professional wrestling fan shouted, "Why don'cha look into a mirror--and then kill yourself?" to a wrestler we meet known as the "The Ugly Superman" (who sported Kal's full superhero-regalia) in the nationally-run "Superman" daily newspaper strip, and he shouted it on the ONE MONTH ANNIVERSARY of GEORGE REEVES' DEATH--July 16th, 1959.

Of course this prompts some questions, such as, "How much lead time was there between the day the strip was completed and distributed, and the day it was scheduled to appear?" and "Did any of the papers that ran 'Superman' decide to pull the strip that day, in the interests of good taste?"

Well, I can't tell you if Mort Weisinger, et al., knowingly referenced Reeves' death, or if any papers removed the strip that day, but I do know that one newspaper, the "Brooklyn Eagle", ran it, because a Superman fan named Sid Friedfertig posted his cut-out copies of the strip online in May of last year, running  almost-complete from December, 1958 to April, 1966, and you can access them at "brooklyneagles.com" (don't type in the quotes).

The comic-strip "Superman" makes for a real fascinating read, largely because just about all of the stories (I know of no exceptions) appeared in Weisinger-edited comic-books within a few months of their newspaper postings, but in modified form (for one thing, almost all of the newspaper stories feature different artists than the comic-book versions, so you get lots of beautiful Swan art in the fifties when he was largely absent from the books).

"The Ugly Superman" originally appeared in "Lois Lane" #8 (the April, 1959 issue, of course when Reeves still breathed) with Robert Bernstein and Kurt Schaffenberger credited on story and art, and, though the comic-book version features the crowd hurling invective at the wrestler when we first meet him, perhaps tellingly, no one counsels him to ring down his own final curtain... [cue Dean Cain] BELIEVE IT OR NOT!
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2012, 02:00:18 AM »

nice!

http://webhosting.web.com/imagelib/sitebuilder/misc/show_image.html?linkedwidth=actual&linkpath=http://www.brooklyneagles.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/episode108/img410d.jpg&target=tlx_pic7rx9

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Nykor
Supermen of America

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2012, 09:09:52 PM »

I should have said this earlier, but thanks for posting that, Telle. It was very kind, and it looks like it took some effort.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L