superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:48:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: K-Metal  (Read 5094 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« on: August 01, 2003, 06:56:21 PM »

People have already been talking about Jerry Siegel's unpublished "K-Metal" story in the 1,672,169 thread.

Apparently the first four pages of this tale were printed in Steranko's History of the Comic Books, Vol. 1, which I don't have.  Is there anyone with a copy of this book who'd be willing to scan in those four pages?

I thought they might make a nice addition to the site.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
India Ink
Superman Squad

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2003, 07:04:02 PM »

I have the book but not the scanner.  However I'm sure there are others who have both.

Since the four pages are all printed together on one page, the size of the pages is rather small.  I guess you can blow up the size of these pages (y'see how little I know about this scanning technology), but I would imagine that some of the detail will be lost.  Maybe someone can use photoshop to clean up these pages a bit.

Good luck on this project.

India Ink
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2003, 07:07:27 PM »

Thanks!

I haven't seen the pages, but I would think that if they were each scanned at a high resolution (like 300 or 600 dpi) they should come out fine.  Hopefully they would at least be legible.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2003, 07:12:23 PM »

I recently received an email from someone willing to scan in those four pages, so they should be up soon.  The contributor wishes to remain anonymous, but I'm extending thanks anyways.

In the meantime, here are the few pages that were reproduced in Alter Ego:

Administrator's note:  Since this post was originally made, these pages from Alter Ego have been removed from this site. They may return in the future.

Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2003, 10:40:56 PM »

Quote from: "Great Rao"
I recently received an email from someone willing to scan in those four pages, so they should be up soon.  The contributor wishes to remain anonymous, but I'm extending thanks anyways.

In the meantime, here are the few pages that were reproduced in Alter Ego:

Of the four comic pages reproduced in The Steranko History of Comics 1, only two page numbers are legible: 15 and 21.

Page 15 continues the typewritten scene of PAGE 14 beginning in Professor Barnett Winton's residence and continues on into the Professor's laboratory (on page 15):

NARRATOR: "Before Clark's surprised vision, the Professor wheels out a great metal container..."

CLARK: "Inside that container..?"

PROFESSOR: "The metal. The strange metal I told you of."

next panel:

PROFESSOR: "See! It glows with a penetrating green brilliance! Strangely enough, it was dull only until the fragment from KRYPTON approached Earth. Then came this new luster."

CLARK (thinks): "That unaccountable weakness again..! Then it seems this metal too hails from KRYPTON!"

it's possible Clark said the second line out loud... hard to be sure as the panel is very small and poorly reproduced

next panel:

PROFESSOR: "And what strange powers this metal imparts! See -- I touch it... and tho I am a feeble old man, suddenly I find myself possessed temporarily of tremendous strength! -- You try it!"

But of course, when Clark tries it he cries out in pain and collapses unconscious.

Page 21 is the sequence in which Clark, trapped in a sealed mine with a bunch of people (who seem to be the bad guys) and Lois, reveals his secret identity to everyone present in order to save them.

As to the other two pages, the first one shows Superman being knocked down and hurt by a car driven by a drunk driver! The other shows Superman, with Lois in his arms, finally confronting the villain, Bronson.

LOIS: "This is the first time I've seen you doubt your own ability!"

Great Rao:

I recently received an email from someone willing to scan in those four pages, so they should be up soon.

Great! I hope you are somehow able to increase the size of the pages so they can be better appreciated. As India said, detail has been lost -- some restoration work might be possible by someone with a careful hand...?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L