superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "SONG OF THE EARTH!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:44:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are the chances of Next Year's Superman Movie beating "THE AVENGERS"  (Read 7292 times)
Rugal 3:16
Last Son of Krypton

« on: May 10, 2012, 09:34:18 AM »

I only posted it here since the film isn't out yet

Superman returns turned out to be a dissapointment for many (and that it paid too much homage to the first donner film)

DC needs to start a Movie franchise of their own since Avengers did everything right.

So the pressure is on Superman to Spearhead a possible franchise of films to show to the general public (it's cool to have powers) and their 'not just for kids'

But im worried about zack snyder. Nolan is a great writer but a director can break it all

I Mean Avengers had a simple plot but Joss Whedon made it gold in the manner that it made sense to the sensibilities of the casual movie goers and the 'superheroism' and it's wacky ideas were embraced (not trying to be realistic) and it didn't look that much ridiculous. Under say a 'Michael bay' I'd Imagine The Avengers to be Disastrous.

I don't know how the film industry does it, but they have a full year since Avengers came out.. Hopefully they can deliver something comparable (especially after the failure that was Green lantern) to raise awareness.

Otenami Haiken to iko ka
countryboylife
Superman's Pal

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 04:21:01 PM »

On the one hand I finally got around to seeing "Sucker Punch" last night.

Pretty, and visually arresting, but otherwise pointless.

On the other hand the reports I have read of the completed scenes are that these are awesome.

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/man-of-steel-to-look-like-a-superman-comic.php

So it's down to the story now. And TBH I'm not excited about a remake of Superman II - so I hope this goes in new direction.

TBH2 I'm not a fan of "Something Evil From Krypton Comes" since it generally means Earth is getting hammered by the Evil because Superman is here and the Evil comes looking.

On balance the leaks from the movie make me more positive than not.
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 10:16:41 PM »

Didn't like Snyder's style as well. he was lucky on 300 and got a bit of a pass on Warchmen just because there were pre-made storyboards (The comics)

I just hope he doesn't ruin Nolan's imaginative plot..

speaking of Nolan..

I just hope this isn't a Dark Knight version of the Man of Steel.. as much as TDK upped the ante on superheroes and the gritty realism doesn't mean it applies to everyone.. especially not superman

The Avengers on the Other hand managed to be a critical and Box-office success despite "Embracing" every "non-realistic" comic book aspect of it, and put up the Fantastical in the same pedestal as TDK if not higher to prove that light-hearted superheroics can still resonate with us

I Feel Superman: The Man of Steel in Essence though should be closer to Avengers (Albeit lacking it's scope) Than The Dark Knight.

Otenami Haiken to iko ka
countryboylife
Superman's Pal

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 07:18:17 PM »

Yes. Nolan's Batman live in a universe where he was the only hero.

There is another argument about Batman being the most ridiculous character in the DCU....

Whereas the Avengers is a comic book universe where magic / aliens happen.

Since Superman is in the latter then that means it *should* be more like Avengers.

In fact from a joined up thinking POV the Man of Steel makes a great place to start a shared universe concept for other movies.
DakotaSmith
Supermen of America

The Jackelope of Truth

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 06:14:43 AM »

Sadly, The Man of Steel is likely going to be crap.  One look at the costume tells the tale.

Superman fights crime in a costume that includes bright primary colors, a cape, spandex, and trunks on the outside of his tights.  He does not wear armor.  Why the frak would Superman need armor?!  He's frakking Superman!

If you are not 100% comfortable with this very simple concept, then you should not be making a Superman movie.  Period.

If you can't get the basics right, there's no chance at all you'll get anything else right.

Dakota Smith

The Zero Aggression Principle:  "No human being has the right — under any circumstances — to initiate force against another human being, nor to threaten or delegate its initiation."
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 04:59:31 AM »

I Agree with the notion that Superman does not need armor.. he's superman

and I have always hated that they removed the trunks but if they had to do tweaking.. they could at least fashioned the belt to be significantly larger and red and curved downwards in a V-fashion to

1) break up the blue
and

2) to create the illusion/allusion to superman's signature trunks

But hey Avengers is now the Third Highest Grossing film of all time  (behind only Titanic and Avatar), Bumping Dark Knight..

So Business practices dictate DC has to fight back.

Otenami Haiken to iko ka
countryboylife
Superman's Pal

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 06:28:00 PM »

I would agree is the promotional shots that I have seen thus far, that a broader red belt, would be better. That said I prefer this costume to the one from Superman returns.

Costume worries are the least of my concerns. I have been far more troubled by the notion that this would simply be a remake/reboot/requel again, but instead of Superman the movie, this time it's Superman II.

I do think that something evil from krypton comes is over used.

Superman Returns, Superman II/Zod, Doomsday (retcon) Earth One, Birthright, even any use of Kryptonite are the same trope. Heck in Smallville mostly everything Kryptonian was bad news.

that said things that I have heard from production are making me optimistic.

Adekis
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 11:40:26 PM »

Beating "The Avengers"? I doubt it. That movie had four hugely successful super-heroes plus really cool side characters.

Superman is a character most people are a bit iffy on anyway. That's not right, but that's how it is.

I want Man of Steel to knock everything out of the ballpark. I want people to forget The Dark Knight and The Avengers and Spider-Man and everything else because it was so good. But I don't expect that. It's a bit much.

My more reasonable hope is for it to do well on par with the Iron Man franchise. It's reasonably successful and helped give a massive boost to a super-hero who, unlike Superman, most people probably hadn't even heard of before the film came out. If Superman got that sort of boost, he could be bigger than Elvis and Batman put together. I still doubt it would equal The Avengers. The Avengers was a huge, hyped up monster of a film that delivered on almost every level.

On the other hand, it's my understanding that WB is going to release the trailer for Man of Steel this summer, giving a whole year to hype Superman's big movie, so he could build up a pretty big hype machine by then too, and I certainly hope he delivers.

Still, all my big hopes are tempered by the knowledge that Man of Steel is going to be an origin story. Do we really need that after ten years of Smallville? Well, let's still hope it does well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L