superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonSupermanicaHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:45:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question from a reader - Superman in the Future  (Read 10892 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« on: August 14, 2012, 02:56:54 PM »

Got this question via email, doesn't right a bell with me:
I remember a special issue from the 70s that was a story about Superman still being around thousands of years after all life on earth was extinct, and all life in the universe was extinct also.  Superman is bored and spends his days smashing planets to rubble just for something to do. Eventually he battles a giant bug-eyed thing ( I think...). He is visibly old and grey-haired.

Do you remember this issue? If so, what was it?

I'd guess a back-up story in an issue of Action.

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
countryboylife
Superman's Pal

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 04:02:11 PM »

Got this question via email, doesn't right a bell with me:
I remember a special issue from the 70s that was a story about Superman still being around thousands of years after all life on earth was extinct, and all life in the universe was extinct also.  Superman is bored and spends his days smashing planets to rubble just for something to do. Eventually he battles a giant bug-eyed thing ( I think...). He is visibly old and grey-haired.

Do you remember this issue? If so, what was it?

I'd guess a back-up story in an issue of Action.

I think he is talking about Action #387?

Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 01:59:25 AM »

Wow, thanks for the scan!  The story description described by the reader didn't ring a bell at all, but I sure remember that story from Action 387!

Another possibility might be Action 386, which also featured a Superman that was visibly old and grey-haired:

(and the cover to 387)

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
countryboylife
Superman's Pal

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 10:17:32 AM »

The only other all old grey supes I remember right now were some imaginary stories with 3 generations of Superman, and the SM #400. It's easy to put elements together from more than one issue in the memory.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 02:19:06 PM »

I picked up copies of 386 and 387 - they seem to be the last two chapters of a future-Superman story involving the Time Trapper and Superman being forced to repeatedly travel forward in time with a Legion bubble (he ages the number of years he travels).  It's pretty cool with an amazingly period twist ending.

I'm going to see if I can find out in just which issue this storyline begins.

Lee Semmens
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 07:02:02 AM »

That would be Action Comics #385, Rao.

It's several years since I read this storyline - from very late in a Superman era that many apparently dislike, or aren't too keen on - but I really liked it, and there is a twist, as you said. Written by Cary Bates, not many years after the start of his comics' career, and with art by the great Curt Swan, and the not so great George Roussos.

Nykor
Supermen of America

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 07:20:34 PM »

While looking for something else, I found a joint-interview of Elliott Maggin and Cary Bates (conducted by Guy H. Lillian III, and available online in the "Creators" section of "STTA") wherein both writers noted their fondness for this trilogy.
Nykor
Supermen of America

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 08:41:49 PM »

And I just discovered that Nightwing wrote a synopsis/review of it at his excellent "Confessions of a Superman Fan".
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L