superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:25:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remembering Lois & Clark  (Read 17246 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« on: February 26, 2015, 06:22:21 PM »

Claire Napier, the founder of sarcastic.nu, put up this great reminder of why Superman wears "tights and a cape"

https://illustratorclaire.wordpress.com/2013/09/06/lois-clark-the-best-show-ever/

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 11:58:53 PM »

My wife and I watched almost the whole show when it originally came out. I really enjoyed it. Dean Cain had the good sense to play Superman/Clark as bright, positive, and intelligent -- quite different to the dour and slightly stupid Superman we have these days in the various versions.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 06:18:51 PM »

It was a fun show until it went off the rails at the end.  I have to confess I don't remember a lot about it now, except for one episode where Clark's childhood in Smallville comes up, and at one point the camera pans over to the treehouse he'd built in the backyard, with a sign on it that said, in a kid's scrawled hand, "Fortress of Solitude."  That always gave me warm fuzzies.

I felt pretty warmly about Teri Hatcher, too, but that was a different kind of warmth.

I think I taped the whole series on VHS when it was first on, and I probably still have the tapes.  But I don't have a VCR anymore. =:-0  Pretty sure L&C is available on Amazon Prime, though.  Maybe I'll take another look.

Word is Dean Cain (and Helen Slater) have been cast in the new "Supergirl" show.  No idea whether I'll bother with it, yet, but I'm really enjoying the new "Flash," which features fellow 90s hero John Wesley Shipp in a supporting role.  You know you're old when the actors being cast for the "nostalgia" factor were on "old shows" you watched when you weren't even all that young.

This looks like a job for...
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 12:34:12 AM »

Quite.

I guess all shows jump the shark eventually, if they go on for long enough. In most of my favourite shows (not many, admittedly) usually the third season is great, then look out, because the fourth is one too many.

Flash? I started out liking it. Now I don't, much. Apart from the Professor Zoom / wheelchair-bound mentor mystery, which isn't enough to sustain the rest of it for me.

Which suddenly reminds me... I should mention Gotham.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 12:02:39 AM »

I watch both Gotham and The Flash...I'm not sure why I watch Gotham though.

The Flash is just so much more super hero than Arrow, and I've always loved The Flash...
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 01:46:02 PM »

I think "Flash" manages to somehow combine the fun, upbeat spirit of the Silver Age, Infantino era with a more modern darkness, which is great.  So many superhero shows and movies skew too far into "gritty realism" out of -- I can only assume -- embarrassment over the source material.  Flash is the only one I've seen to get the balance right.

That said, the "romance and relationships" stuff is obviously aimed at a younger, "Glee" crowd and doesn't do much for me.  And there is one glaring problems that takes the wind out of the whole thing, when I let myself think about it.  To wit: how is it okay for a private group of, essentially, vigilantes like Barry and his STAR friends to incarcerate super-villains without benefit of trial, in a secret prison not subject to any regulation or oversight?  How are the prisoners fed when those doors are sealed tight?  How do they go to the bathroom?  Do they wear the same clothes forever?  Do they have cable?  Books?  Are they allowed to exercise?  I'd like to see this addressed at some point; there should be Hell to pay when the world gets wind of what's going on.

I haven't gotten around to "Gotham," or even "Arrow," which has some links to "Flash."  I kind of doubt I ever will, but you never know.

This looks like a job for...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L