superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:50:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Original 1936 Unpublished Comic Strip  (Read 4955 times)
unclesporkums
Superman Fan

« on: August 29, 2015, 03:44:52 AM »

Please forgive me if this has been posted before, but I tried the search engine, and no results for this came up. This has been around for a while, but is pretty historical. Around 1936 while Siegel and Shuster were still looking for publishers for Superman, Jerry actually enlisted the help of illustrator Russell Keaton to work on a proposed strip for Superman in which The Man of Tomorrow was literally that! The last super-evolved survivor of a future Earth, who was sent back in time to survive! The strip didn't get past the origin story, and there appear to be portions of the script that were never even illustrated. But these restored versions show a very different backstory for the iconic character.
https://thoughtsandramblingsofhardwickebenthow.wordpress.com/man-of-tomorrow-siegel-and-keatons-superman/
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 10:10:48 PM by unclesporkums » Logged

"They can be a great people, Kal-El, they wish to be. All they require is the light to show them the way." - Jor-El (Superman:The Movie)
Nykor
Supermen of America

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 02:50:58 PM »

Thanks for posting this, Uncle Sporkums. To my inexpert eyes, Russell Keaton's work certainly looks more polished than Joe Shuster's; I guess the concept (time-traveler from the future into Earth's "present", rather than one from the "present", into Earth's future) was still too redolent of "Buck Rogers" to sell to the syndicates.
I don't think it was ever shown, in any Superman origin story that I've seen, how the Kents were able to keep the growing Superboy from leveling their house after he was shown wrecking the orphanage; and why the orphanage employees, years later, never came forward with their suspicions that Superboy may have once been the super-strong baby adopted by the Kents.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L