superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:05:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: lonely?  (Read 5711 times)
carmine
Superman Family

« on: March 28, 2016, 04:19:03 AM »

Would you say Superman is lonely? Sure he has Lois and Jimmy but even as Clark Kent he never seemed that close them even if he cared about them..He never tells them his secret identity (though it was for their own good)

He finds out he has a cousin and he ships her off to an orphanage !!

Did Superman suffer from survivor's guilt? He pushed people away to make sure they never got to close to him for fear of losing them?

Adekis
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 10:45:04 AM »

Is Superman lonely? No, not really. I tend to think of his relationship with Jimmy as being a genuine friendship; he's in the habit of telling his secret to nobody, but he deeply cares for Jim and Lois, and they probably know everything about both Kal and Clark except that they're the same person- which admittedly makes it hurt more, particularly for Lois, on the occasions she does find out the secret...

In addition to the two of them, he's got Bruce, Dick, Diana, Hal, J'onn, and the rest of the Justice League, and the likes of Billy Batson, John Irons, and the Kents post-Crisis. I would characterize all of his "coworkers" in the League as his friends, and obviously his parents are always there for him in the event that they survive his teenage years.

As for Kara and the orphanage, that did always bother me, but I look at it this way: at the time, the status quo for Superman was set in stone. New things could be added to it, but it could never really change, and giving Clark a cousin hanging around his apartment all the time would definitely have changed things up. So: orphanage.

Interesting thought about pushing people away from him, but if he really wanted to make sure people didn't get close to him, Clark Kent wouldn't have existed.
carmine
Superman Family

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 03:24:15 AM »

Superman's hideout was called the fortress of solitude ! and it was in the middle of no where.  (though it was filled with robots that looked like him and a bottle city of people from his planet)

I don't know if he was lonely but I guess he didn't really have a lot of free time to "hang out" anyway.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L